Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Got my K-5!!

I got my K-5 yesterday! It was WAY too cold to go outside and shoot anything fun, so I did some test shots in my apartment. I kept hearing about the DR on this camera, and how spectacular it is, so had to check it out for myself.

HOLY CRAP, this thing is awesome! I know this isn't the best picture in the world, and there's obviously some noise on the couch pillow in the foreground of the shot. But, I'm amazed at how much detail this camera pulled out at ISO 800, with a deliberately underexposed shot.

The following picture is a screen capture from my computer. Just wanted you to see what I saw when I started playing. Using lightroom, I adjusted exposure and fill light.....you can see the rest!

More pictures to come, for sure.

ps......no stain on the sensor.

Attached Images

12-15-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes DR on the K-5 is awesome.

Welcome aboard
12-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WOW!!!
12-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Congrats. It is one AWESOME camera

12-16-2010, 10:50 PM   #5
m8o
Veteran Member

Boy that's a lot'a black frames there on the bottom!

Do I see a fixie or freewheeler there? I'm pretty surprised how single-speed's taken off regardless of fixed or not. I might see myself living w/one in the flats, but 1:2.5 ratio nearly gave me a heart-attack when I tried to climb some hills when I was considering getting a Trek District; got the Soho instead. Has Phili built-out bike lanes anything like NYC has recently?
12-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
K-5 picture samples, I love this camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Boy that's a lot'a black frames there on the bottom!
I was shooting in burst mode. I was really just playing around with my camera, and man, I was completely floored by how QUIET this shutter is. I've since been on a couple of shoots with a friend who shoots Canon, and even he remarked as to how quiet the shutter is, even more amazing when shooting in burst.

I promised more photos, and here they are. Here are some photos from Jonathan Adler's store opening in Philadelphia. All taken with the DA* 50-135 on the K-5, no flash. I wanted to see what I could pull off with just the DR of the camera, with some ISO adjustments for different lighting conditions. The pics had to be resized for the site, but, I think there are some great shots here!

Do I see a fixie or freewheeler there? I'm pretty surprised how single-speed's taken off regardless of fixed or not. I might see myself living w/one in the flats, but 1:2.5 ratio nearly gave me a heart-attack when I tried to climb some hills when I was considering getting a Trek District; got the Soho instead. Has Phili built-out bike lanes anything like NYC has recently?
That's a good eye! It's an old Giant steel frame road bike that I turned into a single speed for the city. I use it to "commute" to work every day. The bike lanes in Philly aren't bad, a bunch of major roads have lanes just for cyclists. I will say, I'm thinking of changing my gearing, I have a 53T up front, and a 14T in the back....even little hills can get challenging. This was a frankenbike, so I kinda just took old parts lying around. I think I'm gonna try to get a smaller front ring and then the gearing will be way better.

If you look a little closer at the frames at the bottom of my picture in LR, you'll see another bike hanging on my wall, a Scott CR1 which I use to ride and race. No gearing issues there, just a great ride! How is your Soho working out? That is a GREAT bike for so much. As if you couldn't surmise from my name, I really enjoy riding!
12-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
Forum Member

Wow... best thread ever. Bikes and cameras. Just up my alley.

The DR on that fixie shot is great news and I like the looks paired with the 50-135.

I'm sure you are aware, but that 53x14 is really, really big. Unless you're Graham Obree or Kent Bostick, you may want to go down to a less knee breaking gear and get your spin on. It would be cheaper to throw a 16 or 17 on the back, if you have any additional chain links laying around. That would at least put you down to a 90"or 84" gear. 90's still pretty big. 84 would be good choice. With that 14, you'd really need to go down to a 44 or 42 tooth front to give you a fighting chance up Lemon Hill... Well even then probably not. =)

thanks for posting your pics.
12-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by buster110 Quote

The DR on that fixie shot is great news and I like the looks paired with the 50-135.

I'm sure you are aware, but that 53x14 is really, really big. Unless you're Graham Obree or Kent Bostick, you may want to go down to a less knee breaking gear and get your spin on. It would be cheaper to throw a 16 or 17 on the back, if you have any additional chain links laying around. That would at least put you down to a 90"or 84" gear. 90's still pretty big. 84 would be good choice. With that 14, you'd really need to go down to a 44 or 42 tooth front to give you a fighting chance up Lemon Hill... Well even then probably not. =)

That's not a bad idea, throwing a 16/17 on the back. Since the temps have dipped below 25 I can't say I've picked up my bike, but, something I hope to do again soon. I get pretty restless when I haven't ridden for any prolonged period of time.

ps...good call on the best thread ever, Bikes and Cameras are indeed a great combination!

12-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #9
Forum Member

I've been racing on the track for...well... let's just say a long time. I'm pretty amateurish when it comes to a camera, but I'd like think I know what I'm talking about on the bike. When things thaw, go to buisnesscycles.com or your local shop and get a nice machined, not stamped, 17 and you'll be set.

btw: Atlanta bike lanes are horrible, but considering it's 55 today, I can handle dealing with meathead drivers over sitting in the house any day.

thanks again for the post. I'm looking forward to one day owning my very own k5... though I will miss my k20D for sure.
12-17-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
m8o
Veteran Member

Love the abstractness of the 1st and 2nd shot; and what an excellent collection and photos of woman who clearly take good care of themselves!

I was thinking the same about those gears.... wow, that's tall gearing. You must have a huge leg-strength to weight ratio!

Me, I was a "free range kid" back in the 60s and 70s, decades before that sort of theory of child rearing was even imagined. The bicycle was an extension of me and I rode far and wide a lot. Then once motorized vehicles entered my life, I lost touch with riding for a bit over 2 decades. I got into Mtn biking earlier in this decade when I was in the process of losing a lot of weight, got a great Santa Cruz Juliana for the Mrs which she didn't really take to, and only this year got some urban road bikes once the roads of NYC took on a completely different face with the build-out of hundreds of miles of bike lanes. We have places both on LI and in NYC. I personally feel safer riding bikes on the bike-laned streets of NYC -- let alone the barrier protected lanes on the avenues -- than I do on the bike-lane-less streets of the Long Island north-shore suburbs which often have no shoulder whatsoever and SUV or pick-up drivers who seem to like to make a game out of seeing how close they can come to while passing you with their mirrors or often times the boat they are hauling.

The Mrs. btw, who stays in our NYC place overnight Tues, Wed & Thurs so as not to have to commute 2 hrs each way to our home on LI, when it's not late which is often, still is riding to work and places all over NYC when she meets up with friends afterwards in the 20 degree weather! Yes, A very very different type of riding philosophy than being discussed here. But she loves her bike [Globe Live 3] more than any car we ever got her: Specialized Globe Live 3 album | m8o | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.
(taken w/the K10D ... unfortunately tho it seems the railing was most in-focus in most of the shots)

And make note of that front basket insert. With the bikes you guys are discussing, you may have heard of Chad Price Director of Globe or Garrett Chow working now as lead designer there; they took interest in our story after I wrote the company a friendly email about how awesome the bike was but about how they missed on the design of the front rack's basket in how hard the basket made our 1st ride with that bike, a 25 mile ride around NYC, in trying to keep things inside those wide-open railings. Garrett made us that custom front basket insert comprised of the hard-wood sides plus fabric and netting bottom to stop all the things from sliding over or under the highly stylish but otherwise functionally questionable design of the stock front basket's railings ...Good for a sack of potatoes or case of soda/beer but little else! How awesome is that though.

As if this wasn't long enough already. The Soho is kinda 'love/hate' for me. Not to make this any longer, here's my review of it. I'm kinda surprise they even posted it on their site. Click Trek Bikes | Bikes | Urban | Soho DLX then click on Review. Mine review is the one titled "grr, it now come with disc brakes". However mine was last year's model, before they came up w/the DLX line; with the gates carbon belt drive but w/o the disc brakes or rear rack.

Last edited by m8o; 12-17-2010 at 01:09 PM.
12-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Love the abstractness of the 1st and 2nd shot; and what an excellent collection and photos of woman who clearly take good care of themselves!
The shoot was for a womens fashion site, so, the women were the main point of the assignment. Of course, I couldn't just go to a place like that and not take other pics too, hence the shots like the first two.

As if this wasn't long enough already. The Soho is kinda 'love/hate' for me. Not to make this any longer, here's my review of it. I'm kinda surprise they even posted it on their site. Click Trek Bikes | Bikes | Urban | Soho DLX then click on Review. Mine review is the one titled "grr, it now come with disc brakes". However mine was last year's model, before they came up w/the DLX line; with the gates carbon belt drive but w/o the disc brakes or rear rack.
I can fully understand being a bit disappointed that the VERY next version of something you bought came with such significant improvements, and disc brakes certainly do qualify. I am still completely impressed with the internal hub and carbon drive train. I wish those would come to more commuter bikes.

As for your wife's Globe 3, looks like a very fun ride, and glad to hear she's using it more than her car. I'm sure it's a quicker way to get around in the city.
12-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by buster110 Quote

If you haven't seen it yet, there's a thread in the Mini Challenges, games and Photo Stories forum dedicated to bikes. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/54836...-bicycles.html

Richard.