Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Will you change how or what you shoot?

How do folks expect to change the way they shoot, or what they shoot because of the new K5 capabilities?

I was going to put some of the possibilities into a poll, but the 10 minute limit on generating a poll deleted the poll. (That sounds like an unnecessary limit to me BTW, its also annoying that there is no advance warning on the 10 min limit)

1. I don't have a K5 yet, but i would anticipate usiing less images for some of the blended images (also known as hdr) I like to do, from5 to 3 or from 3 to 2 depending on the contrast needed.

2. I would probably shoot more at iso 200 and below, and specifically at 80 to maximise the dynamic range for daylight shooting.

3. I would anticipate shooting live theatre with an upper Auto iso limit of 12,800 vice the 4000 i use with my K20 now.

4. I will likely try more action oriented shooting than in the past.

If i haven't covered the possibilities you were thinking of, please provide the details in an answer.

thank you,

Last edited by philbaum; 12-15-2010 at 06:10 PM.
12-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Heck yeah! Went to the company holiday party and did not bring my 540 flash!
Cranked the ISO to 12800 or higher and shot most of the night flash-free.
Yeah, a little grainy but with a little post processing, the images look better than they would with harsh on-camera flash.

Otherwise, lots of the new features cover niche markets or little used areas. How often to 90% of the people shoot 7fps? AF is not much faster with current lenses, so until DC lenses are more popular and proven to be faster with the K5, not much change there.
High ISO is about the only game-changing feature.
12-15-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Totally agree. Way fewer flash shots indoors now with the ability to crank up the ISO with the K-5.
12-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I shoot mostly wildlife and scenics with my K20D, 100 ISO the vast majority of the time, but have the auto ISO range set from 100-400 for long lens/low light situations.
With a K5, which I've given a lot of consideration and wishful thinking, I expect I would use 200 ISO (which seems even better than 100 on my K20D) as standard and set auto for 200-800.
All this may vary when I actually get a chance to put it through its paces, but I'm pretty sure I can get a 2-stop difference, especially for wildlife, which is a very big deal. I'm picky about IQ, but who knows, I may be able to get acceptable images from it at 1600 ISO.
I will probably keep my 200mm glued to it and use my K20D with shorter lenses.
But, then again, I may be so ennamored by the expanded DR, the K20D may just lay around as a backup.
I'll know more after the first of the year. I have a loner K5 reserved for testing and I've started to play the lottery.

12-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter

It has changed some of the ways I shoot.
Faster AF has seen me go back to AF lenses more.
I just can't stop say good things about the in-camera HDR. Less wasting time doing this during PP. Results are generally natural looking and not those OTT type effects favored by some.
Large usable ISO range means I can now set Auto ISO up to 3200 or 6400 and shoot in changing conditions w/o thinking about them.
12-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh Yeah!

I'll be able to shoot atmuch higher ISO for wildlife, especially BIF during the low light at dusk and dawn.
Aso, being able to use a much faster shutter speed for such creatures in the wild.

Lastly, maybe not to depend so much on that dreaded flash for indoors photography.

JP
12-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
I shoot mostly wildlife and scenics with my K20D, 100 ISO the vast majority of the time, but have the auto ISO range set from 100-400 for long lens/low light situations.
With a K5, which I've given a lot of consideration and wishful thinking, I expect I would use 200 ISO (which seems even better than 100 on my K20D) as standard and set auto for 200-800.
All this may vary when I actually get a chance to put it through its paces, but I'm pretty sure I can get a 2-stop difference, especially for wildlife, which is a very big deal. I'm picky about IQ, but who knows, I may be able to get acceptable images from it at 1600 ISO.
I will probably keep my 200mm glued to it and use my K20D with shorter lenses.
But, then again, I may be so ennamored by the expanded DR, the K20D may just lay around as a backup.
I'll know more after the first of the year. I have a loner K5 reserved for testing and I've started to play the lottery.
+1

I've been asking myself this same question and, while I'm still wondering and won't decided until I have one in hand, I think the ISO range will make my waterfowl shots much easier to obtain and a greater amount of keepers. My K10D will become my backup and probably be strapped with M42 primes the majority of the time. But...again that will be determined when I have one in hand...
12-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The prices of used flashes have gone down the toilet. Probably anyway. For the life of me, I can't figure out why I purchased a 360. Never use the thing. We don't need no stinkin' flashes anymore!

12-15-2010, 10:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have a K-7 and never shot TAv mode before. I used to just primarily shoot M or Av modes. Then I had a K-5 and tried it out for the first time with the ISO limit set to 12,800. WOW! Love TAv now.

But I sent the K-5 back due to sensor stains. Tried the K-7 on TAv, but it's just not the same
12-15-2010, 11:25 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
I have a K-7 and never shot TAv mode before. I used to just primarily shoot M or Av modes. Then I had a K-5 and tried it out for the first time with the ISO limit set to 12,800. WOW! Love TAv now.

But I sent the K-5 back due to sensor stains. Tried the K-7 on TAv, but it's just not the same

Yes TAV seems like a whole new world with the K-5

cheers
12-16-2010, 01:58 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
of course, adapt or die!
12-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spag Quote
So my strategy was this: Buy a K-5, do not shoot under f/8,0 with the 55-300 and crank up the ISO of the K-5 to compensate (most of the time I still tried to limit to 1600 ISO, sometimes went up to 3200).
Yup, I was the same and hardly shot with the 55-300mm because of the K-7's ISO limitations. But when I had the K-5, I essentially did the same as you. I took the K-5 to the zoo with the 55-300mm, tried to always maintain f/8, and I let the K-5 choose the ISO in TAv mode. I even tried to maintain at least 1/500 shutter speed and the K-5 was a champ in setting the ISO through the various lighting conditions at the zoo.
12-16-2010, 12:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spag Quote
This November I made a one-month trip in Madagascar. I rarely shoot wildlife but I wanted to give it a try there. I mean, these incredible lemurs, I had to try to shoot them!

....So my strategy was this: Buy a K-5, do not shoot under f/8,0 with the 55-300 and crank up the ISO of the K-5 to compensate (most of the time I still tried to limit to 1600 ISO, sometimes went up to 3200).

That worked pretty well, I'm quite happy with the results, and even if I couldn't get pro shots, I learned to like my old 55-300. And I'm sure I would have been quite frustrated with my K-7.

I hope it's okay if I show you some pictures in this post.
Spag, thanks very much for showing your pictures. Excellent demonstration of how to adapt and make use of the K5.

As i was reading your post, i was thinking about how a DA18-135 and the 55-300 would make an excellent 2 lens kit for travel. I think Pentax knew early on what their results were going to be, and designed the 18-135 specifically for the K5 and also for the Kr and Kx high-iso generation of cameras.

I do appreciate all the suggestions on how to optimize use of the K5. I'm not throwing away my flashes yet , but i agree with TAV usage most of the time.

The bad news about the K5 may be that the popularity of this camera will keep the price higher for a longer period. Supply vs demand, right? If so, i'm glad for Hoya, they deserve the success for this gem of a camera.
12-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

TAv TAv TAv baby!!!

Set my speed and aperture, iso 80-12000 and let her rip!

Good dynamic range + high ISO performance really makes TAv into an amazing setting.

Pat
12-17-2010, 05:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I wish you had asked this question a little later, as I am still testing it

I bought the K-5 (still have the K-7)seeking improvements in using it for available light photography indoors and to use high iso shots outside in decent light to get high shutter speeds to freeze motion and also hoping the stellar DR will help with landscape shots. Secondary benefits were the improved AF.

I have partially tested the first, which is using high iso for available light shots. I have mixed feelings at this early stage. The FA43 with the K-5 seems to work very well in TAv mode for my needs indoors.....so far, the 16-45/4, FA* 28-70/2.8 and DA21/3.2 are giving me very mixed results with focus and metering in the K-5. I need to sort these out before making a decision.

I briefly tested the DR by taking a shot with an open window and it's obvious the K-5 captures more DR but I have yet to make up my mind on how practical this will be for me.