Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2010, 05:43 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
question about changing AF point

With the AF point switching dial set to SEL...

In the K-5 manual on p.129, it says, "When any of the following operations are performed, changing of the AF point (in Step 3) is conceled [sic]", and the second operation mentioned is "the mode dial is turned". Step 3, by the way, is "Use the four-way contorller to change the AF point". I believed, therefore, that if I changed the mode dial from, say, manual to aperture priority then I would not be able to use the 4-way controller to change the AF point. But no such disabling happens. I can set the AF point using the 4-way controller in manual, switch the mode to, say, aperture priority, by turning the mode dial, and I can still set the AF point using the 4-way controller.

Then I thought that perhaps what the K-5 manual meant was that any AF point I had set would revert to the center point if I turned the mode dial. But that isn't the case either.

Am I misinterpreting the manual? Or is the manual incorrect on this subject?

12-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
Inactive Account

It doesn't disable setting the AF point but Cancels the operation if that's what you were doing. If I understand your question, you misinterpreted the manual.

12-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Glad to know it's me and not the manual. But are there really people out there who simultaneously try to change the Af point and the mode dial?
12-16-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I can't account for or even understand what everybody else does but I'm sure there are some who feel the need to change the settings with every shot. My cameras have always been perpetually fixed at center point AF. For MY purposes, they could eliminate that switch all together on the camera or do something else with it. The only time I move the focus point around is when I'm using a Tripod and Live View. There, I find it quite useful to be able to shift the AF area. But in looking through the viewfinder, Focus and recompose works quite nicely.