Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by j0n4hpk Quote
Hi LFLee:

Do these batteries work with the Pentax K10D in addtion of the K-7 and K-5? Let me know. Thanks.
No they don't. K10D/K20D use the D-LI50, while K-7/K-5 use the D-LI90

10-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just bought a couple of off brand supposedly 2000mah Chinese batts from Ebay. Two things I notice right away: They are about 1mm smaller, and noticeably lighter than the Pentax batts. They also took half the time for their initial charge. We'll see how these work out.
10-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #78

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Buy the originals. They are so much better. I tried some ebay ones that came with the fake grip. they dont last long and the pos grip battery flap broke. Its just better to save for the real deal.
10-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Hmmm. I bought a battery (labeled "Pearstone") from B&H and it simply didn't charge. First and only generic I've bought. That doesn't prove anything here, of course. Just sayin'.

I was just reading a thread on here about counterfeit SD cards. Are there really no "counterfeit" batteries?

10-27-2011, 07:14 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrjamesabels Quote
Buy the originals. They are so much better. I tried some ebay ones that came with the fake grip. they dont last long and the pos grip battery flap broke. Its just better to save for the real deal.

That was not my experience with batteries for the K10/20d. The non-Pentax batteries were equal to or better than the Pentax batteries in every way. I kept two Pentax and 6 off-brand with me at any serious shoot, and none of them let me down. They were also identical in size and weight.
10-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Just bought a couple of off brand supposedly 2000mah Chinese batts from Ebay. Two things I notice right away: They are about 1mm smaller, and noticeably lighter than the Pentax batts. They also took half the time for their initial charge. We'll see how these work out.
Please let us know. Those three things don't make me optimistic.
10-28-2011, 04:22 AM   #82
Veteran Member

I'd be surprised if that battery wasn't fake... so don't expect 2000 mAh from them, probably not even 1000.

10-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That was not my experience with batteries for the K10/20d. The non-Pentax batteries were equal to or better than the Pentax batteries in every way. I kept two Pentax and 6 off-brand with me at any serious shoot, and none of them let me down. They were also identical in size and weight.
Same here and also for my K5/K7.
10-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #84
Veteran Member

I have a third party battery for my K5 and to be honest It holds its charge and performs just like the original that came with the camera.
10-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
Same here and also for my K5/K7.
Were the off-brand batts you tried the same size and weight as the Pentax?
10-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #86

QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
Hmmm. I bought a battery (labeled "Pearstone") from B&H and it simply didn't charge.
I sympathize but my experience is exactly the opposite. I also bought a Pearstone at the same time I bought my K5 from B&H basically on the assumption that B&H wouldn't be selling crap which you might get on e-bay. Honestly in my case the Pearstone performed better than the battery that came with the camera. I've used several types of generics in the Panasonic FZ cameras I've owned and always had good luck. This seems to be an issue where people, regardless of background or expertise have a set opinion that just isn't going to be changed so decide what your comfort zone is and buy accordingly.

FWIW I go with the theory that a quality generic is the same as a quality name brand simply because it makes sense that the factory is going to want to maintain production. It strikes me that since certain requirements have to be met, it costs almost the same to make a cheap battery as a good one. A unique aspect of Li-ion batteries is they start to degrade from the moment they're manufactured and often are done after about 3 years. I suspect the "cheap" batteries found on e-bay that don't perform are most likely old stock that hasn't moved and that the factory is selling to clear inventory. The "savings" are passed on to us.
10-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've purchased several generic batteries and none have measured up to the originals. I mainly use them for backups in a pinch, but their life span seems much shorter (after six or seven months of use they have decreased how much charge they hold significantly), they don't seem to hold a charge in cold weather, and under load -- shooting video or using live view -- they give up pretty fast.

I had the same experience with generics for K20. Not saying that there aren't decent generics out there, I just haven't had good luck with them.
10-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #88
Veteran Member

One thing I've noticed that is different about the generics today from the very good generics I bought for the K10/k20d is the price. The generics I bought early on for the K10/K20 would run about half the price of the Pentax, or about $20. The LI90 knockoffs are often $5-8. That is about the price of a set of disposable high-end Li AAs. I suspect that there is a severe limit to the quality one can put into a $5 batt.
11-20-2011, 04:43 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anyone any experience with INCA brand? Advertised at 1860mAh.
11-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #90

I've got zeikos ZE-Li90 2800mah battery from amazon, maybe its not true 2800 but it performs better than original one, paid 16$ 8 month ago