Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #1

Huh! I got K-5 Kit for $1350 from Amazon

I had no plans, had not dreamed I will ever get K5, price was beyond my budget. But I think Santa was too busy working on my dreams, decided to deliver it well before Xmas

While browsing Amazon for DSLR deal (had no particular brand in mind) came across an open box K-5 kit directly by Amazon (Warehouse Deals) listed for $1350

Contacted Pentax Live chat to confirm it will have pentax warantee, they confirmed and I placed an order. Just to double confirm, sent my Amazon order email to Pentax and they replied back confirming they will honor the warantee as long as I am not abusing the camera

Sorry if I am too excited to share my positive rant, but I am really excited to get K-5 for $1350, I am still recovering from the price shock.

12-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great! Congrats!
I have bought open-box items in the past without problems. But it is hard to say in a specific case what the issues if any could be.

Use the camera everyday for a few weeks and you will soon know if there is anything wrong with it. A lot of times people have buyers remorse after buying something expensive and will return it when the item did not have any problems. This could be one of those.

If you are new to photography have someone look at the camera, a camera club in your locality etc.
12-16-2010, 12:11 PM   #3

I also spoke to Amazon over the phone and asked them about the warehouse deals. They told me they could not confirm the reason why the camera was returned, so I could not be sure it was returned due to the sensor issue. So I would check the camera immediately for the sensor stain.

The other thing that turned me off was the warranty on warehouse deals is not 1 year, but only 3 months. You would have to buy a squaretrade warranty for another $50, bringing the total to a little over $1400. Since I don't need another 18-55 kit lens, and can buy the body new for $1426, it's not that great of a deal (for me). If you need the kit lens its a pretty good deal, however for me, if I'm going to spend that much on a camera, I'd rather it have the full warranty. Especially considering the QC issues so far. Who knows what we may find in 2-3 months? At that point you won't be able to get it fixed for free, so definitely buy the extended warranty.
12-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sagar Quote
I had no plans, had not dreamed I will ever get K5, price was beyond my budget. But I think Santa was too busy working on my dreams, decided to deliver it well before Xmas

While browsing Amazon for DSLR deal (had no particular brand in mind) came across an open box K-5 kit directly by Amazon (Warehouse Deals) listed for $1350

Contacted Pentax Live chat to confirm it will have pentax warantee, they confirmed and I placed an order. Just to double confirm, sent my Amazon order email to Pentax and they replied back confirming they will honor the warantee as long as I am not abusing the camera

Sorry if I am too excited to share my positive rant, but I am really excited to get K-5 for $1350, I am still recovering from the price shock.
great price,

the first thing I would check on receipt is for the dreaded string of pearls because it is entirely possible that one got returned to inventory (and I'm betting most returns have been for this reason, returns of course being the source of open boxes)
if you haven't already look at the numerous threads on this and you should be able to figure out what and how to look for it.
If this turns out to be the case then Amazon customer service is good enough that if they sold you a defective open box they will likely replace it with a factory fresh unit (and if they don't make a stink)
If it doesn't suffer the affliction you just scored a deal that will take probably a year to reach on new units congrats
ps I've bought tons of open box product over the years i worked in CE retail, and never had any issues most open boxes at a brick and mortar store come from a return policy that allows for easy returns (I'll just buy this camcorder to shoot bobs wedding and return it on Monday sort of thing)

12-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #5

Can you post that email from pentax here? Amazon told me only a 3 month warranty.

If Pentax will honor a full warranty then its a great deal.