Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2010, 05:38 AM   #1
Inactive Account

New Member - Hello and WOW! Expected a lot but this K5 is incredible

Firstly, as a new member, just a hello to you all and as a keen reader of the forum over the past few weeks, a BIG thank you in helping me make the jump from Sony to Pentax for my next big purchase.

Simply put, what a camera this K-5 is. I've only had it a few days but as a lover of reading manuals (quite sad I know!) and finally getting my hands on this, the noise levels and dynamic range immediately jumps out at me.

I have already done comparitive shots between my Sony A700 (which I intend to still keep - for now!) and the K-5 and what gets me immediately is that this is a new generation of camera, i's simply that good.

There was no way I was going to wait any further for the new Sony A7XX after already waiting over a year and in part, I am so pleased that Pentax (who pioneered the DSLR) are back in the forefront of development.

It comes to something that the only niggle I can force out about the camera (after trying for quite some time) is that I do not believe the Mode dial needs the added security of the locking button on the top!

I would be really keen to hear from other members what settings they tend to use for Landscape shots etc.

Cheers,
Dave

12-17-2010, 06:04 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Dave, and glad to have you on board.
Firstly, your post would have been best posted in the Welcomes and Introductions section.
Secondly, congrats on going for the K-5. It is a fine piece of engineering for an APS-C camera, and will impress for some time to come.
Enjoy your time here and hope to see your contributions on the forum.
12-17-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Club! Doesn't really matter where your first post goes but if your intent was to discuss the K-5, you're home.

Re the locking dial. As someone who hated it on the K7, I must say that on the K5 it's much easier to use since they increased the size of the dial itself.

(I read the camera manuals too. or at least skim through them, to make sure that the camera will do what I want )..

12-17-2010, 07:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome, Dave. Good to hear you're enjoying your new toy. Don't forget to check out the 'Lenses' section of the forums, to familiarize yourself with the whole range of old and new Pentax glass!

12-17-2010, 07:38 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome from one Dave to another!
And as one who took the K100D>K10D>K20D>K-7D> route, I couldn't agree with you more about the K-5--it's a quantum leap!
12-17-2010, 08:06 AM   #6

Welcome to the board Dave! I'm glad you have your hands on the k-5 and that you are enjoying it so much! Hopefully I'll have on one day.
What I've come to realize is that it's not just the camera that's amazing but also the lens choice that Pentax offers (both old and new). Also, you will love the community here as well!
All of this will add to the wow of your k-5! At least it wowed me and just with the k-x.
12-17-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome Dave. I seem to like the lock button since I was always bumping it to a different setting, I guess it's the way I hold the camera.
Landscape's I use the Sigma 10-20mm and then everything else depends on the lighting of the day.