Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2010, 07:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K5 dodgy quality control?

My K5 has always had a fault in that the back wheel (the one which sets the aperture in say the M mode) would ignore a lot of clicks.

The front wheel (which e.g. sets the speed in the M mode) was always one change per click.

I thought this was normal... until today, out in the -2C temperature, the F number changes were not monotonic e.g. turning the wheel would give you F4... F8 then back down to F7 and then up to F10, F11 etc. This is obviously wrong.

I took it back to the shop who agreed they will swap it for a new one (I had it for 2 weeks) but their warehouse advised them they have no K5 stock because Pentax have recalled the whole lot!

There are various defects, one of them something to do with the sensor, apparently.

It's a pity that Pentax have dropped the ball on such an otherwise good camera.

12-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

electronic displays do tend to operate more slowly in the cold - it is possible that in your haste to make the dial turns (and background with having a finnicky dial from the start), that you were skipping past the other apertures while the LCD could not keep up with the changes. With the cold added to the equation, it sounds as though both your frustration, the partially functioning dial and cold weather combined to make the situation worse. Hopefully the replacement arrives quickly!
12-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It's a pity that people can't figure out why they got a warranty. It seems the first stop is the internet to see who they can moan at.

Nikon dropped the ball on the D7000, it has defects, Canon dropped the ball on the EOS1 mk3, it has both defects and design flaws (this in a camera costing thousands more than the K5), want to talk about dropping the ball?
Ford, General Motors, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, Mazda, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Rolls Royce, Bentley have all "dropped the ball".

If the K5 was quality controlled to the point of having zero defects in 100% of the units shipped you wouldn't have bought one because it would cost too much.

So take your warranty claim, wait for the cameras to be restocked and get your replacement.
Or, go play roulette with another camera manufacturer because they are all the same with regard to "dropping the ball".
12-17-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
OMG! We get warranties too? No wonder Pentax won a Gold Award from dpreview!

12-18-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
electronic displays do tend to operate more slowly in the cold
Please read what I wrote:

QuoteQuote:
The front wheel (which e.g. sets the speed in the M mode) was always one change per click.
It cannot be the LCD if the other controls work. Also the top LCD data can be checked against the main LCD. It is just a faulty wheel encoder.
12-18-2010, 02:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
My K5 has always had a fault in that the back wheel (the one which sets the aperture in say the M mode) would ignore a lot of clicks.

I thought this was normal... until today, out in the -2C temperature, the F number changes were not monotonic e.g. turning the wheel would give you F4... F8 then back down to F7 and then up to F10, F11 etc. This is obviously wrong.

I took it back to the shop who agreed they will swap it for a new one (I had it for 2 weeks) but their warehouse advised them they have no K5 stock because Pentax have recalled the whole lot!

There are various defects, one of them something to do with the sensor, apparently.

It's a pity that Pentax have dropped the ball on such an otherwise good camera.

If you are going to get a replacement then dont worry...

I have a K-5 and its working perfectly... so praise to quality control from me.

Same goes for a perfectly working K-7 and K-x that I still own and same goes for my old K20... all perfect units

cheers
12-18-2010, 02:50 AM   #7

I thought the sound was just turned off, but I went to shot a short movie today I checked all the settings and the sound was on but it did not work!!! Dam this is the second body in a month, well like I said be for I did not buy it for a movie camera so I'll just keep this one and take good to perfect pictures. Their QC is real bad!!!
12-18-2010, 03:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It's a pity that people can't figure out why they got a warranty. It seems the first stop is the internet to see who they can moan at.

Nikon dropped the ball on the D7000, it has defects, Canon dropped the ball on the EOS1 mk3, it has both defects and design flaws (this in a camera costing thousands more than the K5), want to talk about dropping the ball?
Ford, General Motors, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan, Hyundai, Mazda, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Rolls Royce, Bentley have all "dropped the ball".

If the K5 was quality controlled to the point of having zero defects in 100% of the units shipped you wouldn't have bought one because it would cost too much.

So take your warranty claim, wait for the cameras to be restocked and get your replacement.
Or, go play roulette with another camera manufacturer because they are all the same with regard to "dropping the ball".
+1. I find it amazing that cameras are redesigned every 18 months or so. I don't imagine that length provides much time for thorough testing and correction of problems. If camera develop time is too long, the latest features by a mfr would lag the market. I don't blame people for their frustrations over a faulty camera, but the camera world is what it is. If one wanted to pay more, like for a Leica, i'm sure quality could be improved. But i believe they've had problems too.

12-18-2010, 03:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I disagree.

The K5 is my 3rd Pentax camera and the others were perfect.

This K5 has the spots on the sensor - this pic shows them clearly (near the centre) at F14 and at higher F numbers they are even more visible.

And Pentax did not even test the exposure wheel, which is bad. Production should include a 100% functional test of the controls. This is really basic.

My guess is they rushed the K5 out for xmas.

It is normal for companies to rush stuff out before the end of the month so they get paid 30 days earlier than if they deliver it on the 1st of the next month This is no different.
12-18-2010, 05:18 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote

And Pentax did not even test the exposure wheel, which is bad. Production should include a 100% functional test of the controls. This is really basic.

And we are right back to what level of QC is a customer willing to pay for?
If it adds 50 dollars to the final price, would you still buy it? How about 100? or 250?
When the K5 was introduced at the same price as what the K7 had been introduced at, there was much moaning and whinging about how it was too expensive.
This is just simple reality. It covers all consumer products now.
Get used to it.
12-18-2010, 05:34 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't really understand why customers have to be beta testers for everything from electronics to software, but I guess it is cheaper in the long run?
12-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't really understand why customers have to be beta testers for everything from electronics to software, but I guess it is cheaper in the long run?
This is it exactly. People look at feature/dollar and make buying decisions completely on that basis. Sometimes, buying the more expensive product makes sense if the premium you are paying is more robust engineering and stricter QC.
It used to be that if you bought a Volvo, you were getting a vehicle that ran forever with minimal maintenance and very high reliability.
But you paid a premium for this.
I don't know if it is still this way.
Anyway, the unfortunate fact is, customers expect hands on quality control, but they aren't willing to pay a premium for it.
And make no mistake, high end quality control is expensive.
The Nikon F2 was one of the very first SLR cameras to boast a 100% accurate viewfinder. I was told at the time they were current that the entire optical assembly, from lens mount to screen to prism assembly had to be shimmed in by hand, checking and rechecking until perfect.
Apparently, it added significantly to the cost of the camera.
I don't know how much hand assembly there is in a modern DSLR, and I don't know how much time there is for human intervention during the assembly of the various components.
I am content though that the way things are done these days, while not ideal, is workable.
It's unfortunate that so many people bitch about poor QC while at the same time either complaining about the price tag or just saying they will wait until the price comes down, because I think it would be nice to pay a bit more to have a camera that had been gone over by a human being and declared defect free.
However, in the buyers market we have today, where people put more importance on a 0.006194 advantage in high ISO capability than they do in flare resistance of lenses, or vibration/shake reduction with legacy lenses, we are going to see manufacturers putting as much feature/benefit as they can into cameras while at the same time maximizing as much as possible as they can on cost/benefit.
Unfortunately, the only thing they can cut is QC, hoping that design and construction values will carry the day.
I honestly don't know if Pentax has a higher failure rate than other manufacturers or not. I just accept that there will be a failure rate and try not to get my shorts all knotted up over it.
12-19-2010, 02:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I expect all the controls on a camera to function - regardless of whether it cost $1500 or $15.

This is completely reasonable.

A camera on which some dial or button doesn't work is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

It is very rare for the Japanese to drop the ball on their usual 100% inspection.

Of course a fault can develop with any product, but for faults to be present from the start is very bad.
12-19-2010, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote

mate..thats a shocking repsonse....you have a shit load of posts on this forum..id expect a better treatment for newer members.....or are you a Pentax fanboy..
12-19-2010, 03:08 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I find it quite pathetic when some people want to blame customers for poor QC. Make no mistake, it's the manufacturers' greed for more profit that killed QC. If they can save $1 on an item then they are glad to give up whatever quality and quality control they currently have. I can see that every day in my work.