Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2010, 08:01 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
<yawn> Gold Award. What did I expect: they have always been biased toward Pentax, right?
No they have always been biased toward Canon, which might explain why the 7d gets 1% higher score than the K-5. Or it might be a better camera.

12-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by e-bar Quote
When comparing between the K-5 and K-x, the K-x seems to have better "Low-light/High-iso-performance".. weird.
You can't really compare camera's from different categories. The K-x is scored relative to its peers, as is the K-5. They're not compared to each other.
12-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
can anyone tell me what's the deal with the movie button? why is it so important?
I don't ever shoot video, but is it so hard to turn the little wheel and press the shutter?
I found their obsession with the lack of a movie mode button quite odd. I guess that is the "parents with toddler" perspective. For me, I am interested in the movie mode from a more semi-professional filmmaking perspective, in which case the presence or absence of a dedicated button is literally irrelevant. What is relevant is the fact that, according to the review, you can't prevent the camera from adjusting in-shot to available light conditions by either changing the aperture or changing the sensitivity. For a filmmaker that's completely unacceptable (picture a scene where someone enters a dimly lit room, opens the refrigerator, and closes it, and the camera stopping down as the fridge door opens and then opening back up as the door closes, etc.). I really can't understand why Pentax doesn't offer a simple option to fix aperture and exposure during a take. It seems like the simplest of things and it would make the camera's video infinitely more useful to those who want to take it seriously.
12-18-2010, 11:19 AM   #34
Forum Member

Go---- wait for it....ld AWARD!

12-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
but i prefer when pentax had K30 D which is : have all K-5 facility but without movie mode ..and lest see what this site said about it ...
movie its not important for some photographer .. like me
12-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #36
Veteran Member

From the review:

"The following comments reflect the performance of firmware v1.0. We are currently testing the latest version and will update the comments accordingly. "

In bright green on page 11 of the review on the Site-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named-But-Is-Not-The-Dark-Lord-Exactly.

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Maybe send the letter to author of review? Do you know how to do it?
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I am surprised that they didn't at least put a note, saying that even though the camera was tested with firmware 1.0, a new firmware upgrade did improve the RAW buffer to 24. It is a huge difference from the D7000.

Their scoring system doesn't make sense either. They try to stick cameras into brackets and then compare them against other cameras in the same bracket, but that is hard to do. Other than price, what really separates the D7000 from the D300s class? Why can't you compare the two? Upper end cameras will continue to get higher scores, based on features, image quality and that's not a problem. But pretending to compare the K5 only against the 7D and D300s based on its initial MSRP, when in reality you are comparing it against the D7000 and the 60D is silly.

Don't bother with value/price either. Prices fluctuate so much that what is a good value now, may not be in six months, yet, the review will never be updated.
12-18-2010, 06:33 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ewig Quote

and still dont wanna lose to compare...even tough its
80% againts 83%

don't tell me that a $100 price difference is huge enough to illustrate a value difference against a camera which shows to be evidently better overall.

both cameras are categorized under the same price and consumer market, based on specs. this is not like an entry level camera against a midrange or semi-pro camera. so I'm quite puzzled with the graph showing almost a 1/4 difference in value. 1/16th of a value would had been more logical.

12-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #38
Veteran Member

IIRC, the value criterion does not carry much weight in the final computation.

While cost is a big factor in our decisions, the comparison would have to be done monthly to have much value.

I'd rather they skip the value criterion and simply automate some price gathering on cameras in that class with the comparison appearing below the rating.

But this has been beaten to death for years and I'm not even sure why I'm responding .....
12-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote

But this has been beaten to death for years and I'm not even sure why I'm responding .....

because you have to.
12-18-2010, 07:29 PM   #40
Veteran Member

OMFG! Seriously so many of you make me hate this forum with a passion, it's a friggin review and a good one.

Quite analysing and breaking it down and just accept.
12-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #41
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think "company not to be mentioned in this thread" did a great job with their review. I think they have been very fair to Pentax over the years and this is no exception. I think they fairly marked the K7 and their scores of the K20D is what got me to purchase it.

There is a big, big part of me that wanted the reviews to outperform the 70D and for the most part they do. And good god what's 1%. But that's just me rooting for the little guy. The only items that it really lacks, according to them, are items that are very subjective—handling and build. I do question and did question them why the two items are not ranked as high as the K7. Regardless in the end, I really doubt that even with these so called lesser marks that someone would not get it thinking it wasn't built well. Considering it still ranks very high in both categories.

The only real thing I question them on is that they say "Importantly, Pentax has some way to go before it can market a system as complete as those offered by Canon and Nikon"... referring to I believe our lens options and kind of throwing ALL Canikon levels into the mix. This is not a pro setup (and I don't want get into an argument of what a Pro camera is.... I didn't make up the stupid categories) If however you make such a category like the market has, then I really disagree with this statement. Pentax has a very wide and good range of glass with very excellent quality at a third the cost. It's not quite as robust as Canikon, but very good and as a prosumer/semi-pro category, price of all aspects of your gear should play a HUGE part of someone's purchasing decision. We don't have to pay for IR in our lenses. That to me is a very big selling point. Based on this flawed logic, I should just get the Mark IV and throw some $3k + lens on it, if price of all aspects, for a typical prosumer is not taken into consideration.

other than that, I was very impressed with the review. How could I not be?

I did however ask them to take "Class leading image quality" off of the 70D though =)
12-18-2010, 11:52 PM   #42
ogl
Banned

Thanks to all the people who have sent feedback about the firmware used in the K5 review. It's been a busy couple of weeks and the we've been so focused on getting the review finished in time for Christmas that we didn't spot the firmware update.

The performance section of the review will be updated as soon as we've had a chance to test the latest firmware.

Richard - DPREVIEW
12-19-2010, 12:16 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I find it mildly amusing that the main thread on the review in the Nikon (D7000) forum is longer than the one in the Pentax forum.
12-19-2010, 01:40 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Got My K-5 Yesterday same as the review came out. Congrats Pentax. Fair Review by the way.
12-19-2010, 01:44 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
OMFG! Seriously so many of you make me hate this forum with a passion, it's a friggin review and a good one.

Quite analysing and breaking it down and just accept.
Indeed. It is not that I am really surprised how much attention is given to the 83 vs 81 score, but it surely cannot go unnoticed.