Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #76

I just picked up my new K-5 after it was doomed defective by the tech people. I had huge problems with front focus, calibrating just wasn't enough.

The new one seems spot on even in very low light. Huge difference. A bit odd though, it seems like my first one and this new one came from the same batch. I even tried two of them in the store, the first had the charactaristic glass bubbles in the middle of the frame. Second one was the winner.

I wonder how a firmware update would work if it's going to fix SOME of the cameras, but not affect all. A special firmware perhaps, only for them with problems? Then again, why give me a brand new camera if there's a solution close at hand?

12-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #77
Site Supporter

I have a K-r with this problem as well.

I noticed that the Tungsten WB setting improved the focus accuracy a bit. There is also some further setting for Tungsten WB which can be set to a Strong setting.

Has anyone tested using Tungsten WB and/or this "stronger" setting?
12-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #78
SPA

Photos: Gallery
I just confirm the same issue with my k-5. When is in daylight i have perfect focus with my DA 35 Macro, but when use on tungsten light i need AF correction -8. With my K-7 i hasn't this problem. Maybe problem is in body and FW maybe in combination with this DA lens. With K-7, Pentax was needed 2-3 updates of FW before focus start work stable.
12-20-2010, 09:55 AM   #79
Fer
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dhenricson Quote
I just picked up my new K-5 after it was doomed defective by the tech people. I had huge problems with front focus, calibrating just wasn't enough.

The new one seems spot on even in very low light. Huge difference. A bit odd though, it seems like my first one and this new one came from the same batch. I even tried two of them in the store, the first had the charactaristic glass bubbles in the middle of the frame. Second one was the winner.

I wonder how a firmware update would work if it's going to fix SOME of the cameras, but not affect all. A special firmware perhaps, only for them with problems? Then again, why give me a brand new camera if there's a solution close at hand?
That is surprising indeed. I don't know what to make of that. Could you check the firmware version in your second K5, just to make sure is not a new one?

12-20-2010, 10:08 AM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bjan Quote
Sorry to disagree with you Falk. I think it should read : "It depends on the question if you expect a 1200 Euro camera to be able to focus properly in very common circumstances" .
[...]
Let`s forget about shutter blurr (mostly solved as far as Falk made us believe) , let`s forget about sensor stains, let`s forget about flash issues, let`s forget about bad AF under artificial light because the K5 is the best camera on the market !! ?? [...]
My post triggered quite a few responses. Single sentence posts seem to work

My point was:
All three problems acknowledged (I've no lower expectation than anyone else, I actually said so two posts above the one you cited), there is nothing to gain while waiting. You'll only loose. And then, life is too short indeed to wait.

I expect the remaining problems to be solved in the foreseeable future (probably by a firmware update) and enjoy using what I have now.

But it probably depends on how much the money put forward to aquire a K-5 actually hurts. If it hurts, waiting may be an option as prices go down a bit as well. And quite often, life then appears to be infinite too
12-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by Fer Quote
That is surprising indeed. I don't know what to make of that. Could you check the firmware version in your second K5, just to make sure is not a new one?
Battery is charging at the moment, but I'm pretty sure this is a v1.00-camera. As I recollect the store had 3 K-5s when I bought my first in mid november. Two boxes were still on the the shelves today. One of them had the stained sensor. The other went home with me. But I'll check later.
12-20-2010, 11:40 AM   #82
Pentaxian

Maybe it's a bug in the 1.01 version?
Nah...
12-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #83

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxeros Quote
El problema es solo con lentes con enfoque de tornillo, y solo en bajas condiciones de luz de tungsteno.

Con lentes SDM o HSM, esto no ocurre, con SDM o HSM, el enfoque es perfecto en cualquier tipo de iluminación.

Pentax, corregirá esto mediante firmware en breve.

Saludos...
@Pentaxeros: This is quite an interesting statement. Is it based on experiments with different kinds of lens systems only, or is there also a rationale to it?

12-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #84

Original Poster
Clear statement Falk.
I would say indeed life is too short to buy a camera with shortcomings like this.
Do you have good reason to believe that firmware update will come soon in order to solve this problem ? Pentax Spain and Pentax Benelux do not see anything coming soon obviously. It also depends on your age if you want to wait for "the foreseeable future" right ? As life is infinite it might be better to use gear that is working already today for some of us.
12-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #85
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Dhenricson Quote
I wonder how a firmware update would work if it's going to fix SOME of the cameras
That was my concern as well. If it is indeed a software issue I'd expect it to affect all cameras the same. However, I think no matter how much info we share here and people try to recreate the issue, it is too uncontrolled to really understand how differently individual bodies are behaving.

My replacement was delivered today. I would think it is from a recent batch as it is from B&H which has been cycling through their stock quickly. I'll let let everyone know how it behaves as soon as I get a chance to test it out.
12-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #86

Original Poster
Look forward Jamie. Thanks for posting an being able to show us a most probable recent batch test . Your 70mm 2.4 is definately a good test lens wide open.
Dhenricson probably did test his replacement under low light conditions only and found his K5 focussing well. Most likely he will find the result out of focus in daylight as a consequence. I can`t believe that the problem is inconsistent and ad random. This would speak against all logic and could make things a lot more complicated. I would give double the new price for a perfectly focussing K5 though so in case anyone would sell his well working cam to me please let me know.
12-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #87

QuoteOriginally posted by bjan Quote
Dhenricson probably did test his replacement under low light conditions only and found his K5 focussing well. Most likely he will find the result out of focus in daylight as a consequence.
I certainly did. Since I'm in Stockholm and it's pitch black after 4 p.m. But I certainly will bring the camera outdoors tomorrow and give it a full workout. And I certainly hope you are wrong.
12-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #88

Original Poster
I know I was there 2 weeks ago and making pics on the market in the centre. (many nice and tasty looking cantharels were sold there. I also hope that I am wrong Dhenricson let us know. Be sure your test with very shallow dof to see the AF going wrong though.
Do you have a fast lens to test it properly ? something like a 2.8 or faster and 50mm or longer will make the test very easy and obvious.
Succes !
12-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #89

Original Poster
A much less complicated af system is contrast detect that is more accurate as well. The problem to use it is mainly the low speed . (see for live view contrast detect in DSLR`s) However cams like SAMSUNG NX series seem to overcome this speed problem .
Is the solution to overcome the shortcomings of the Phase detect system in contrast detection ? Anyone with a good technical know how about this ?
12-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
I have spent the last hour trying to reproduce a front focus issue with my K-5 and FA77 in low, tungsten light. I can't do it. Focus was off in less than 10% of shots, and then it was slightly back-focused. I shot at f/1.8 and f/2.0, and I tried with the camera's WB set to Auto as well as tungsten. Seems to be nailing focus under all of these scenarios. Here is a representative shot:

Regarding AWB on this camera, I will just say this: I am going to start being a stickler for setting custom WB or at a minimum shooting gray card shots for everything I do.

Todd, this image wouldn't strictly count as 'tungsten', would it? Looks like a lot of disparate light sources there. If the color-tied sensor is the problem, it might have been mitigated in those tests.

(plus, make sure that cat isn't peeing under your tree. He looks guilty.)

Closed Thread