Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2010, 05:50 AM   #61

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye (translated) Quote
Life's too short.
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
sorry Falk..your way too smart for me sunshine..you'll have to dumb yourself down a tad to make me understand you..

Id say most here have bought a K5 for the extra it can give in low light shooting [thats why i want one ]..only to now find out it cant focus correctly under tungsten light { just about the biggest form of indoor lighting]

if it wasn't so serious Id laugh....mind you Todd had a shot at it..and couldn't replicate the problem with his gear..so is it hit and miss
I'm really glad I got the K-5, even though the price didn't come down to where I wanted it to be. Just recently, the price dropped for a little bit, down to what I was hoping to pay for it, and there wasn't a twinge of regret that I had waited. I thought to myself, "if I had waited for it to get to this price, I wouldn't have had the month of fun with it". It's just a joy to use.

12-20-2010, 06:00 AM   #62

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Possibly.
However, I'm getting stunning results from my K-5 and wouldn't want to miss a day I already used it. It depends on the question if your life is finite, I guess.
Sorry to disagree with you Falk. I think it should read : "It depends on the question if you expect a 1200 Euro camera to be able to focus properly in very common circumstances" .

It would be the same to say " This sportscar is the best in the world but you cannot drive it over 150 km per hour !"

Let`s forget about shutter blurr (mostly solved as far as Falk made us believe) , let`s forget about sensor stains, let`s forget about flash issues, let`s forget about bad AF under artificial light because the K5 is the best camera on the market !! ??

Come on guys let us not forget that we should stand up and shout with one voice towards PENTAX to make our cams WORK at they should ! You would bring back the sportscar as well don`t you ?
12-20-2010, 06:10 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What really grind my gears is the situation when Pentax plays dead every time some problem turnes up. Remember sdm problems, dead pixels on k20d and now.... At least three serious problems what actually makes new camera completely useless. One calls Pentax National Center and getting answer: We forwarded your email to our technical department, one calls service department and getting answer: we don't know anything about the problem - we checked the camera and your camera is all right according to the spec..... WTF? Pentax center should build the trust to the brand not ruin it by playing dead....
12-20-2010, 06:14 AM   #64

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fer Quote
Well, if you already have it (K5), you might as well enjoy it (as I'm doing). But this issue is serious enough to justify holding off a decision to buy a K5 until the new firmware is released and the problem is solved. I mean, we don't even have an OFFICIAL aknowledgment of the issue nor a confirmation by Pentax that they are indeed working on a firmware to fix this.
As many posters in this forum believe that our postings are followed by PENTAX people I want to try and find prove for their marketing skills.

With this mail I want to kindly ask PENTAX to give us a confirmation about the possibility to solve this issue by firmware and when it can be expected.
PENTAX is warmly invited to issue a mail in this forum about our concerns an proven disability of the K5 to focus properly in artificial light conditions.

Dear Pentax I hope that you pick up this challenge and give us a fast glimmer of hope through this invitation today.

12-20-2010, 06:23 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by extravagrant Quote
I'm really glad I got the K-5, even though the price didn't come down to where I wanted it to be. Just recently, the price dropped for a little bit, down to what I was hoping to pay for it, and there wasn't a twinge of regret that I had waited. I thought to myself, "if I had waited for it to get to this price, I wouldn't have had the month of fun with it". It's just a joy to use.
It depends on whgat camera you had previosly...the major attraction of the K-7 I had before is the "joy" factor...the K-7 was the first camera that brought "joy" back into photgraphy with it's clever ergonomics and feel. I picked this "joy" factor as the number one reason to upgrade in my user reviews.

So, if you were upgrading for the K10D to the K-5 (which is even a better camera than the K-7) then I can see why you would feel this way, but the k-7 users have alraedy experienced this, and the high iso performance is one of the few major improvements over the K-7 and when that cannot be fully utilized, it leaves you scratching your head
12-20-2010, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #66

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bjan Quote
Sorry to disagree with you Falk. I think it should read : "It depends on the question if you expect a 1200 Euro camera to be able to focus properly in very common circumstances" .

It would be the same to say " This sportscar is the best in the world but you cannot drive it over 150 km per hour !"

Let`s forget about shutter blurr (mostly solved as far as Falk made us believe) , let`s forget about sensor stains, let`s forget about flash issues, let`s forget about bad AF under artificial light because the K5 is the best camera on the market !! ??

Come on guys let us not forget that we should stand up and shout with one voice towards PENTAX to make our cams WORK at they should ! You would bring back the sportscar as well don`t you ?
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk[/YT]
12-20-2010, 06:25 AM   #67
Veteran Member

I don't agree with you here.....many cameras have issues when they come out, this is not any different.

12-20-2010, 06:32 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by extravagrant Quote
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk[/YT]
That was one hillarious clip....I don't know who that guy is, but I am going to be looking for more of his stuff....feel like I've found another Lewis black.
12-20-2010, 06:38 AM   #69

Original Poster
EXELLENT YOU TUBE FILM !!! THANKS FOR SHARING . If we only could have the old film camera era back for all of us ....
12-20-2010, 06:40 AM   #70
Fer
Forum Member

As many posters in this forum believe that our postings are followed by PENTAX people I want to try and find prove for their marketing skills.

With this mail I want to kindly ask PENTAX to give us a confirmation about the possibility to solve this issue by firmware and when it can be expected.
PENTAX is warmly invited to issue a mail in this forum about our concerns an proven disability of the K5 to focus properly in artificial light conditions.

Dear Pentax I hope that you pick up this challenge and give us a fast glimmer of hope through this invitation today.
I've only been a Pentax user for one year, but I've read enough about older times to know this is highly unlikely to happen. Perhaps US customers would get an answer if they started asking the question here:

http://nedbunnell.posterous.com/36737084

Me, I sent an email to the tech support people in Spain last Wednesday; still waiting to hear from them.
12-20-2010, 06:48 AM   #71

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I don't agree with you here.....many cameras have issues when they come out, this is not any different.
I would be writing the same in case I had not bring mine back yet ! Wishfull thinking or truth in your words will be known some day . The issue we talk about is not one of the minor and "normal" ones I would say.
12-20-2010, 06:51 AM   #72

Original Poster
manana, manana Fer. But we want to shoot today with good equipment isn`t it ?
Dark days before Christmas with fast gear that suits this !
12-20-2010, 08:47 AM   #73
Fer
Forum Member

I just spoke on the phone with a very kind lady from tech support in Spain. Her answer was not particularly reassuring: "We know that a new firmware is coming, but we don't know when or what specific issues it will address". I specifically mentioned the huge AF problems in low-light, but she just didn't know whether a fix was in the works for this or not.
Even considering that Pentax operates in Spain through a distributor, I find this level of customer service quite disappointing. Either they aren't being kept informed by Pentax in a timely manner, or they have been told not to give any information on this.
Has anyone in the US or elsewhere contacted their local support to enquire about this issue and/or the new firmware?
12-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #74

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxeros Quote
Hola, soy el administrador de Pentaxeros.com, el foro Pentax en Español, y de una tienda de fotografia especializada en Pentax.

Hace ya tiempo, realice un estudio que reporte a Pentax sobre los problemas de enfoque bajo luz de tungsteno.
Analice mas de 25 unidades de K-5, y todas responden igual.

Las condiciones son las siguientes, y el Front Focus que se produce es siempre igual bajo dichas condiciones.

Las condiciones lumínicas son:
1/10 ISO 3200 f:2.8 y luz de Tunsgeno
Bajo parámetros de exposición similar, con luz de tungsteno, se produce un front focus que se puede corregir desde la opción de micro ajustes, con un ajuste de -10

Sin embargo bajo la misma intensidad lumínica, pero con luz natural, el enfoque es perfecto.

El problema se acentua aun mas con lentes con enfoque mediante tornillo. Con lentes SDM no lo he detectado.

El estudio lo realice bajo condiciones controladas, probando, la K-7, la K-5 y la K-r

La K-7 enfocaba siempre bien, el enfoque era lento, pero preciso.
La K-5 y la K-r siempre bajo luz de tungsteno tenian un Front focus de -10

El error lo reporte a Pentax, junto a todos los números de serie analizados, y RAW de las tomas realizadas y Pentax me ha informado que trabajan en ello para solucionarlo mediante firmware.

Espero haber arrojado luz sobre el asunto, ademas tambien se que en breve tendra solución.

Saludos cordiales...
Hallo Pentaxeros,

You make us believe to have inside information about a firmware coming up. You seem have more information than all the rest of us. Plesae tell us what is your source or any more detailed info about your statement in order to give it a bit more "body".
Everyone of us could state that there will be yes or no an firmware settling and if doing so it would be nice to know what gives evidence to the statement right ?
12-20-2010, 09:02 AM   #75

Original Poster
I spoke to the Benelux distributor and service centre and also here there is no clue about a firmware to adress the issue. They say that the issue is passed on to PENTAX Japan but no reaction whatsoever has come back to them. If PENTAX Spain and Benelux have no idea about the aknowledgement of the problem by PENTAX JAPAN at the moment I foresee a dark future. I would not dare to put a K5 under the christmas tree for my best friend though. Many will choose another camera after reading the postings in the internet from many early users. I do sincerely hope that a real marketing BLOOPER is in the make in order to "punish" a company that does not deliver what is looks like nor aknowledge their mistake. If only PENTAX would make a statement about the issue and that they are working on it. This would safe a lot of customers but probably cut a head in the company .
Knowing about failure punishment and shame in Asian companies I believe this could be an issue in this case. Poor mr. K5 development resposible !
Closed Thread