Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #196
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
yep i can confirm this with mine too. not the MIL images...but using my 17-50..at 50mm about 1 metre or so from the subject at 2.8 it fails to focus properly ..but using LV to focus it works perfectly.. why does LV work and not the VF...can someone explain that to me ??

my light source is Halogen 12 volt down lights...my K7 had no problem in this light..

stopping down will reduce the effect..but its still there..at 3.5 its still no way near as sharp as the LV at 2.8...and the Sigma 17-50 is a seriously sharp lens

need the frimware patch..sooner rather than later..or another K5 wil be returned

I cant test the EV.as I dont have a light meter ..but id consider my conditions bright

EDIT

i just redid the test and turned on every light in the room..I was a 3200ISO to get 1/60th...at 2.8...still cant focus..and that pretty bright lighting we are talking now....LV still is crystal clear and sharp

so work around at the MO would be to use LV for indoors shots until a firmware release fixes this..Ill give them to the end of Jan..if its not sorted by then Ill be returning my K5 along with the 17-50..and buying Nikon D7000...ill be talking to my camera shop as soon as they open up in the new year to inform them..if they say return straight away to get a full refund ..Ill be out of the Pentax user group :{..thats a bit sad really..I was enjoying the company here
Some things you clearly don't understand.

The bright light your talking about iso3200..... isn't that bright at all. In filmdays that was a clearly flash invironment.It is still tungsten light so nothing is changing for the AF-module in your K-5.

The LV is not using the AF-module, but uses contrast AF, so it has not the problem when using "normal" AF.

12-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #197
Veteran Member

i just redid the test and turned on every light in the room..I was a 3200ISO to get 1/60th...at 2.8...still cant focus..and that pretty bright lighting we are talking now....LV still is crystal clear and sharp
FWIW, ISO3200, 1/60s, f/2.8 is not bright light, it's about 3EV, which seem to be just below the threshold of what the AF can handle for Tungsten light based on what several people in this thread have reported. It's possible Pentax can makes changes to improve this, perhaps not. If they can't, and this is a deal breaker for you, then by all means the D7000 sounds like the better camera for your needs.

Personally, I hope that a change in the firmware can improve the situation. Having the AF system work at lower light levels under low temperature lighting would certainly be beneficial to me and most other K-5 users.
12-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #198
Veteran Member

For those of you who don't know, the K-r also has issues focusing in tungsten lighting. I created a thread in the K-r forum with images from my tests. See the thread here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/126823-k-r-focus-test-images.html
12-24-2010, 11:09 AM   #199
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
..Ill give them to the end of Jan..if its not sorted by then Ill be returning my K5 along with the 17-50..and buying Nikon D7000...
I understand your frustration, but please don't wait... return your K-5 as soon as you can and buy into another brand that will serve you better...

Personally, I want Pentax's proposed fixes (updates) to be one time events. As such, I want them to move at their speed, not mine (or yours).

Life is too short... If you are disappointed, don't waste a minute, or ounce of energy, grousing to strangers who are unable to anything about it...

Cheers and enjoy your fresh start into the next chapter of your life as a photographer... M

12-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
I understand your frustration, but please don't wait... return your K-5 as soon as you can and buy into another brand that will serve you better...

Personally, I want Pentax's proposed fixes (updates) to be one time events. As such, I want them to move at their speed, not mine (or yours).

Life is too short... If you are disappointed, don't waste a minute, or ounce of energy, grousing to strangers who are unable to anything about it...

Cheers and enjoy your fresh start into the next chapter of your life as a photographer... M
Heh...I honestly can't tell if that post was sarcastic or not.

But I would say that returning the K-5 and buying a whole different system is an over-reaction, unless MOST of your shooting is done in very low tungsten lighting. Hopefully it can be fixed with a FW update. Other systems will have their own problems or disadvantages. Nikon, for example, means lenses that are heavy and expensive compared to Pentax.

Several people have mentioned the price of the K-5. As in, "for this much money it should not have any of these problems." I don't entirely agree with that sentiment, because for what you get in the K-5, it's honestly ridiculously inexpensive. I refer you back to the Louis CK video.

I have a camera which is nearly perfect, and doesn't have any bugs or design/manufacturing issues at all. It's the Nikon D3. When I bought it new, I paid well over $5000 for it. The fact that, less than 3 years later, I can get something which gets me in the same ballpark as far as functionality and IQ for less than a third of the price is amazing to me.
12-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #201
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bjan Quote
This forum by its nature is not to discuss about issues that causes anyone to freeze in the dark but about camera`s Wheatfield . BUT IN THE PERSPECTIVE OF THIS THREAD THE ISSUE IS NOT A MINOR INCONVENIENCE ! So please stop smoothing the issue in thread that is started to adress the issue as a major problem. Please start posting in a thread about how fantastic the K5 is as there is a lot positiv to say about this cam indeed as well. (We would not be so annoyed if the K5 was as it should be as this is the cam many in this forum have been waiting for)
My mistake. I thought finding out what the root of any problems was important so as to allow people to develop strategies that would allow them to use their equipment effectively in the face of equipment based challenges. This is why I've been questioning and attempting to quantify the problem.
If I'd known that this forum was merely a crying game I'd have kept reading dpreview.
As far as discussion goes, the problem has been reported, apparently Pentax is working on a fix, there isn't really anything left to discuss since discussing ways to make the deficiency as painless as possible until a cure is arrived at isn't allowed.

You might as well ask the mods to close the thread.

Bye.
12-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #202
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Some things you clearly don't understand.

The bright light your talking about iso3200..... isn't that bright at all. In filmdays that was a clearly flash invironment.It is still tungsten light so nothing is changing for the AF-module in your K-5.

The LV is not using the AF-module, but uses contrast AF, so it has not the problem when using "normal" AF.

i understand that in the old days with slower flim speed or slower Cmos sensors that Id have needed a flash.....but focus lock is still focus lock whether you need flash or not..and im only bumping up he iso as to avoid camera shake....

if its that dim that it cant archive focus...why don't the green light come on and assist the focus..i could understand if the camera said it couldn't achieve focus lock...

also why didnt the K7 have this issue...my didn't.....is ironic really, the K7 had good VF AF and crap LV AF...now the K5 has great LV AF..and crap VF AF....and good VF AF is obviously more important with a SLR

Last edited by Tommot1965; 12-24-2010 at 03:13 PM.
12-24-2010, 03:05 PM   #203
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote

if this post is genuine..which I believe it is...its possibly the best bit of advice anyone can give..so thanks for the ..if its not....

update

its 5.30 am here..daylight but the sun is yet to rise....I tried the test outside...and its still the same in low temp early morning daylight....so for me..this issue isn't just in artificial Tungsten light

EDIT

now 6.00am..sun is up..but im in shade...focus is now good with the VF...to my eye nothing has changed ...but to the camera...it has ..

the main reason I bought the K5 was for low light hand-held shooting..and obviously the larger ISO ceiling that he K5 has over the K7 ..means I could do that ..but not if I cant focus......mind you I cant say I wasn't warned..and I still bought the K5 anyway..LMAO...

im gonna start reading some reviews on the D7000..and any problems that it has ..:{

Last edited by Tommot1965; 12-24-2010 at 03:10 PM.
12-24-2010, 03:14 PM   #204

Original Poster
Wheatfield , why are you all the time making the wrong assumptions and drawing wrong conclusions. It is not apparent at all that PENTAX is working on a fix !! No way I ask the administrator to close the thread. The very reason of opening this thread is to show PENTAX that there is a serious issue amongst their afficionados of the K5 and we as K5 lovers will not stop pushing in this thread and publishing our thoughts, frustrations, ideas etc till the K5 is what it was supposed to be. In case I would be fine with the issue or not wanting the issue to be solved I would follow you advise. You don`t have to question or wanting to quantify the problem because the problem EXISTS amongst ALL K5 `s and that is it till today ! This forum is not a crying game but a serious discussion forum for PENTAXIANS. In case you believe this forum is a crying game please stay out ! It would be so much better though when you would support many of us not satisfied customers that want PENTAX to deliver. That is the purpose of opening the thread and I thank many posters for supporting the claim .
12-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote

But I would say that returning the K-5 and buying a whole different system is an over-reaction, unless MOST of your shooting is done in very low tungsten lighting. Hopefully it can be fixed with a FW update. Other systems will have their own problems or disadvantages. Nikon, for example, means lenses that are heavy and expensive compared to Pentax.

Todd

Im not too heavily invested in Pentax..so getting out now might be a real good idea for me.....also Im a zoom type of fellow....good zooms..but zooms non the less ...so the light primes dont really float my boat...although id like one

Ill contact my shop once it reopens...if they say to get a full refund and move into another system it has to be NOW...then Ill be returning the K5...as I dont want to wait to see if FW will fix it...if it dont..then im screwed..

if they say sit tight and see what month does and a new FW ..then Ill stick it out i suppose...but in my head as I write this post..im already trying to love a D7000..but i might just get a full refund..and do without a camera for a month or two and see what develops

its a right bummer for all of us really...just shows tha Pentax rushed the K5 release..for Photokina

EDIT

i just read the DPR review on the D7000..and I dont like it..too many design issues of the body that I dont like.....just makes me realise what a wonderful body the K7/K5 is..truly remarkable....just need to work out this focus issue and Ill be sweet as

Last edited by Tommot1965; 12-24-2010 at 04:28 PM.
12-24-2010, 04:21 PM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
FWIW, ISO3200, 1/60s, f/2.8 is not bright light, it's about 3EV, which seem to be just below the threshold of what the AF can handle for Tungsten light based on what several people in this thread have reported. It's possible Pentax can makes changes to improve this, perhaps not. ...................
The K-5 AF specs are as follows " AF working range: -1 to 18 EV ". So, I would think the it's reasonable to expect it to work well under 3EV.

Also, if the K-7 can do it, there is no reason why the K-5 couldn't given the AF was improved.
12-24-2010, 04:30 PM   #207
Veteran Member

Todd

i just read the DPR review on the D7000..and I dont like it..too many design issues of the body that I dont like.....just makes me realise what a wonderful body the K7/K5 is..truly remarkable....just need to work out this focus issue and Ill be sweet as
While I agree that the K-5 is remarkable, and think it's a good thing to stick it out for awhile (you probably should), let me again play Devil's Advocate in the opposite direction:

Coming from years of Nikon shooting, it's the Pentax bodies that have design issues, at least if you're talking about basic ergonomics. I think Nikon beats every other manufacturer by miles in that department. I know that won't be a popular thing to say around here. I also know that a good portion of my usability issues with the Pentax bodies are just a matter of having the Nikon stuff so embedded, and I am getting more comfortable with the K-5 ergo every day. I still think Nikon wins, but that's a matter of opinion, and who knows, I may change my mind one day.

But if you're a zoom guy.....really seems like Nikon is calling your name. I don't think any zoom kit can live up to their holy trinity. I'm definitely a fast prime guy, and that's what drew me to the Pentax system.
12-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #208
Veteran Member

could someone please try their K5 in low light oudoors...as mine cant get focus right there either..low light before sun is type of light..cheers

anyway its now Christmas Morning here in Perth Western Australia..so Im gonna go and enjoy my families company , open some presents....help my 15 niece with here new K7..:}..and forget about a faulty Af for a while

as this is a busy thread..Id like to wish you all a merry Christmas and safe and happy new year .

keep shooting guys..I will be
12-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
While I agree that the K-5 is remarkable, and think it's a good thing to stick it out for awhile (you probably should), let me again play Devil's Advocate in the opposite direction:

Coming from years of Nikon shooting, it's the Pentax bodies that have design issues, at least if you're talking about basic ergonomics. I think Nikon beats every other manufacturer by miles in that department. I know that won't be a popular thing to say around here. I also know that a good portion of my usability issues with the Pentax bodies are just a matter of having the Nikon stuff so embedded, and I am getting more comfortable with the K-5 ergo every day. I still think Nikon wins, but that's a matter of opinion, and who knows, I may change my mind one day.

But if you're a zoom guy.....really seems like Nikon is calling your name. I don't think any zoom kit can live up to their holy trinity. I'm definitely a fast prime guy, and that's what drew me to the Pentax system.

Fair enough Todd point taken...Merry Christmas mate
12-24-2010, 05:01 PM   #210
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I cant test the EV.as I dont have a light meter ..but id consider my conditions bright
I was a 3200ISO to get 1/60th...at 2.8...
I understand EV is calculated as:

log2(f^2/t) + log2(100/iso)

So for the above:

log2(2.8^2 / 1/60) + log2(100/3200) = 8.877... + -5 ~ 3.9 EV
Closed Thread