Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2010, 07:09 AM   #16
Inactive Account

B&H still shipping defects

38xxxx sent back.
39xxxx received, same issue.

This is the K-5 Lens kit, maybe the body only is fixed because their moving faster than the kit?

Sigh, i'm going to wait a couple weeks or so.

12-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #17
Urs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mortox Quote
38xxxx sent back.

This is the K-5 Lens kit, maybe the body only is fixed because their moving faster than the kit?

Thx for the info.

Im ready to buy but guess its safer to wait till next year.

Since im located in Panama shipping back is not as easy as within the the USA itself, besides cost and time there are custom/tax issues as well.
12-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #18
Inactive Account

38xxxx sent back.

My clean replacement noted a few posts earlier was a 39xxxx kit. Not disagreeing that your theory is possible, just providing some additional data...
12-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #19
wll
Veteran Member

I'm Waiting a Few of Months Because ....

I want to be sure the stain issue is out of the pipeline and I expect the price to come down around Feb or March. I'm hoping for a ~$1200.00 price by then.

Right now I'm up to my A*# in K20D's, and they are more than enough for what I do.

I also have a couple of K-x's for real low light stuff (6400+) so I'm cool.

wll

12-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Spoke too soon....

Just sent my K-5 back after a week of use after discovering the sensor stains. After advice from here I realised that the camera's inbuilt sensor detection does not pick them up but after a few 'snowy' landscape shots I saw them and checked further.

Well it has now gone back for replacement from Amazon. However, I am not so sure that the 'body only' packs are selling faster. The 18-55WR kit is discounted so much at amazon(uk) that for a very small extra amount of cash ($35), it is more of a deal not to be missed. This is proved by the fact that the Amazon.co.uk site is currently out of stock on the 18-55WR kit but has plenty of the others (body only and two lens kit).

I hope that this will be good for me!!! Due to the fact that it will be 3 to 5 weeks before they have stock, then I am hoping that I will get a stain free camera!

It seeems strange that Amazon seems expects to be out of stock for so long... I hope this is because Pentax are not shipping new stock until they have fixed the problem! Normally Amazon are regarded as a key distributor and are given priority when it comes to stock.... I think there is more to be read into this fact.

Dave
12-23-2010, 04:24 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by philcozz Quote
So, has anyone else had this experience of a clean K-5 that eventually developed the stains?
Phil,

Perhaps I should show some evidence. Now carefully rechecking the images I took on day of purchase there is something showing which only got worse over the next few days:

Day1 (iso6400):

Day7:

I am now repeating this experiment with a new K-5 serial 391xxxx and hope not to have to post any further spotty images
12-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #22
Inactive Account

I'm afraid to buy one period at this point. Even if i happen to get a clean one i'm afraid over time the issue may reappear.

Hopefully Pentax will issue so reassuring words soon other than "we're aware and working on it"

12-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aybee Quote
Phil,

Perhaps I should show some evidence. Now carefully rechecking the images I took on day of purchase there is something showing which only got worse over the next few days:

Day1 (iso6400):

Day7:

I am now repeating this experiment with a new K-5 serial 391xxxx and hope not to have to post any further spotty images

aybee,
I'm not saying that i'm any kind of expert on this stain stuff, just someone who has read too many posts on this subject.

But i think what happened to you is you did a better look or a different look a week after you bought the camera, from the look you did in the store. The hypotheses being that the spots were always there.

The consensus seems to be that the information from the Pentax distributor in Spain was correct, that the spots are contained within the cover glass placed over the AA filter on top of the sensor.

Because the spots are within the cover glass, there is no way for them to grow. This is very good news - so once you get a camera with a good piece of glass, you're set for as long as you keep that camera.
12-23-2010, 01:26 PM   #24

Hmmm, however I still have the PEF files from day 1 to check and, apart from the iso being 6400 they are clean of any blobs, and I was looking for them at the time... I'm not convinced.
12-24-2010, 07:22 AM   #25

Photos: Albums
Mine went back to Pentax in Canada, and they told me they do not have a timeline when it will ship back. Meanwhile, Pentax USA has new units in stock to sell online direct.
12-27-2010, 01:30 PM   #26
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Phil,

Day1 (iso6400):

Day7:

Hi Alan,

Hope you didn't read my message to mean I didn't believe you! I was just hoping this wasn't a problem that others were having, as I am on my second K-5. So far so good for me, though, in terms of stains showing up.
12-27-2010, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not going to beat on Pentax here, I have already done that, but honestly, I think they need to get several issues corrected very promptly if they want sales to pickup briskly. Communications with their base customers, like right here on PF, would be a great confidence builder, but they apparently don't see it that way? Until then, or until the "All Clear" signal is given for the several major issues being reported, I will wait it out. Most of us have a fine camera already in the K20D or other Models, so there is no emergency at hand in getting a K5, although I admit it is something I crave at the moment.
12-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Phil,

Day1 (iso6400):

Might be my imagination but I thought I could see the spots in the Day 1 photo, but mostly masked by the noise.

Of course, I was squinting my eyes as if looking at a 3D photo ( and maybe, just maybe, I was drinking a glass of wine at the time )
12-28-2010, 07:00 AM   #29

Yes there is a spot in the day 1 photo, which may just be the start of what became very evident at day 7.
No wine here today and I can still see it :-)
12-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #30
Veteran Member

38xxxx sent back.

I am not sure if body only sells faster, the shortage is the Netherlands is not in bodies or bodies + 18-55 but there are hardly any 18-135's to be found, and the official kit has yet to appear. All "kits" sold so far are individual copies of body and lens.

Yes there is a spot in the day 1 photo, which may just be the start of what became very evident at day 7.
Actually I calibrited my monitor recently and not only is thera a stain, but there is a faint string where the structure of the noise is slightly different.