Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #1

Wondering if others k-5 owners have experience defective mode dials

Hi all,

First time posting here. I got a new k-5 to upgrade from my trust k10d. Worked great first few times I used it, but this morning I turned on my camera and it's stuck on "M" mode no matter what I turn the mode dial to. I am really bummed since I wanted to do some video shooting this weekend. Camera was sitting on the table, and hasn't left the house, so it hasn't been exposed to bad weather, etc...

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I love the camera, just really bummed out and pissed off it stopped working suddenly... and can't return it to Adorama (past the return period).

btw, any one else hate the locking mechanism on the mode dial? I never had a problem with the k10d's dial... seems like adding this locking mechanism only adds potential defects.

David

12-18-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
David, did you try pulling out the battery to reset the camera?

I had it crash on me the other day and the mode dial is one thing that wasn't responding anymore. After a battery pull everything was back to normal.

Pat
12-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Have not had the issue with my K5 yet, but both the K7 and K10D have.
Although my problems have always been with the font and back dials, not with the exposure mode dial.
Still, as suggested, try pulling the battery(s) and see if that clears things up. That had worked for me on both cases.
12-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #4

Good wheels

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
David, did you try pulling out the battery to reset the camera?

I had it crash on me the other day and the mode dial is one thing that wasn't responding anymore. After a battery pull everything was back to normal.

Pat
I did as what Pat did. And I go 17 clicks from 5.6 to 40 on the rear dial and no skipping. I had no problems to begine with but I spindit it as fast as I can and no skipping just smooth as can be. Front dial the same goooood.

12-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #5

Yeh I'm having that problem with the k5 as well but I think mine is lens related. When I use my 55m f2 manual lens the mode dial is stuck at Av in all but the M, X-sync and video. So even in green mode it shows aperture priority, not normal right?

The dial works normally with an 18-55 though
12-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DAVID - go into robot mode and just do it....call Adorama, explain problem, ask what they can do inspite of late exchange request. I have seen multiple posts (including my own) about late exchanges recently but have not seen a post where someone was refused by a reputable shop. Nothing to lose, do it and get happy again. I did.
12-18-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davidphoto Quote
Hi all,
and can't return it to Adorama (past the return period).
Supposedly no one has them in stock while they play the sensor stain game.

Send it to Pentax since it is under warranty.

12-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses!

QuoteQuote:
try pulling the battery(s) and see if that clears things up
Yes, I tried that multiple times earlier this morning... tried throughout the day to see if maybe it would clear up.. am I supposed to push a reset button or something to really make the battery-reset work?

Most of the retailers in NYC are sold out, I got one of the last ones in Adorama when I got mine 3 weeks back. I'm going to return it to Pentax for warranty repair and hope I get it back in a reasonable amount of time.

The camera was awesome when it worked ... so I was livid when the mode dial (of all things) stopped working all of a sudden ... I've calmed down a bit since and try not to think about it .
12-19-2010, 01:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

My rear wheel (the one which changes the aperture) skips changes as one turns it, and sometimes the F number goes up and then down then up again - as the wheel is turned in the same direction.

The front wheel (the one which sets e.g. speed in M mode) is OK.

I took it back to the shop and they agreed to give me a new camera (had this one only 2 weeks) but their whole stock is gone back to Pentax due to the sensor spots - which I have also, as I have just discovered. They reckon some time after xmas for a new body.
12-19-2010, 03:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It's beginning to sound like Pentax had a bit of a quality control issue with their first few K-5 runs! It's almost been like watching people going from XP to Vista. Lots of swearing going on, I'm sure, lol. I wonder how many "service patches" Pentax will need to do before it's all taken care of. I'm sure they'll fix them all, but it's got to be annoying spending that much on a brand new camera to get one fresh off the production line only to run into glitches. Sorry, my sympathies, sincerely. I feel bad for all of you. New toys at the holidays shouldn't come with issues.
12-19-2010, 06:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Can't compare the K5 with Vista.

The K5 is 99% perfect.

Vista was (and is) 99% rubbish Most serious users won't touch Vista with a 20ft bargepole.
12-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Davis did you try installing the new firmware. Its part of the firmware for the other stability issues aside from the raw buffer. I bought mine with 1.01 version.
12-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #13

Having a similar problem with my K5. Think that I have missed the sensor stain but I seem to have lost Green Mode in the last day or two.

Just noticed it last night as I usually shoot in P mode. Set the camera to green mode and noticed that it says Aperture Priority. Tried it several times and cycled through all the other modes and everything is correct except I no longer have the Green Mode. When it is set to green mode it does behave as if it is Aperture Priority, the only difference I can see is the iight in the top LCD turns on and most of the settings on the menus are disabled as they are in Green Mode. Part of the system thinks it is Green mode and part does not.

I guess I will have to take it in to the dealer and have them send it back.

I am trying the battery method to do a full reset but do not have much hope that it will work. I have removed the battery and left the camera turned on. I don't know if that will drain the internals faster of not but I thought I would try it.

I am not sure how long you have to leave the battery out as I tested my K7 to make sure I was not seeing the wrong thing missing in green mode. The K7 has been in storage with no battery for about an month and I figured it would need date and time etc all set again but it powered up instantly.
12-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #14

I was thinking about why my K5 would have lost the Green mode and remembered that I had tested the tethering software with it the night before.

Hooked it up to the laptop again and set the camera to Green Mode, the selection box in the tethering software was set to AV (aperture priority) I set it to Green Mode in the software selection box then disconnected the camera from the laptop.

Green Mode is now restored!!

I will post a link to this message on the tethering thread in case someone else does the same as I did.
12-20-2010, 05:07 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by activeflush Quote
Yeh I'm having that problem with the k5 as well but I think mine is lens related. When I use my 55m f2 manual lens the mode dial is stuck at Av in all but the M, X-sync and video. So even in green mode it shows aperture priority, not normal right?

The dial works normally with an 18-55 though
AFAIK this is normal if your lens doesn't have the A-setting (electric contacts on the mount) which transmit the aperture info between the lens and camera.