Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #1

No Sound what do you think?

This is my second body, the first string of pearls on the sensor, and a bad rear wheel at times. This body has a very clean sensor and the rear wheel is on the money no skipping.
But I have no sound at all, no beeping no sound in the movie mode and I'm sure that there will be none with the remote stereo plug in, I don't have a mike to check it out.
This is the only thing I can find wrong with this camera and I can live with not having the beeping sound, as I don't have it on my other cameras.
This thing takes super sharp pictures and this makes me real happy as that is why I bought it, for that reason. I hate thinking of getting another one and taking the chance that it will have more problems.
I am disappointed with the QC with the K5. Do all of you out there think I should take a chance and get a new one or not? List your problems in this thread for PENTAX to read as you know they will. Thanks for reading.

12-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Where did you order yours? My K-5 is perfect... Well, it's possible you will get defect items... I'd still get the K-5 though, I do trust Pentax quality control...
12-18-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Just a few dumb questions if I may:

1) In page of the Config section, is beep enabled and selected for the events you want? Have you tried raising the volume of the beep level?

2) In the Movie menu located on page 4 of the Camera section, is Sound enabled?

- Jason
12-19-2010, 04:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is the issue that your camera is not making sound, or that it is not recording sound during video? As Jason says, you can turn off the sound, so it is possible you have it turned off in the menus.

Good luck!

12-19-2010, 05:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Um...how old are you? I ask because I've yet to hear any of my Pentax bodies beep although my daughter assures me it does.
12-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #6

Original Poster
Everything is like it is supposed to be and still no sound. And I am old well over 50.
12-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm like dadipentak

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Clark Quote
Everything is like it is supposed to be and still no sound. And I am old well over 50.
Rick, no offense, but I can't hear my K-x and can barely hear the K20D. Is there someone younger around that you can ask if they hear the beep? If things are real quiet I can hear the relay clicking on the K20D, but not the beep, friends tell me it is there. I can't hear anything at any time on the K-x, but as with the K20, people tell me it's there. I'm 61

NaCl(high pitched sounds are the first to go)H2O

12-19-2010, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My daughter says the next time I ask if there's a beep, she's going to return me to B&H as defective.
12-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Rick, no offense, but I can't hear my K-x and can barely hear the K20D. Is there someone younger around that you can ask if they hear the beep? If things are real quiet I can hear the relay clicking on the K20D, but not the beep, friends tell me it is there. I can't hear anything at any time on the K-x, but as with the K20, people tell me it's there. I'm 61

NaCl(high pitched sounds are the first to go)H2O
I here the shutter working just fine, just no electronic beeb. This if funny in away I just had my hearing tested on wensday and there is nothing wrong with it. I can here the keyboard when I type. There is no sound in video playback. Something is wrong and it's not me.
12-19-2010, 11:53 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But there is sound when you play the video files on your computer?
12-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
But there is sound when you play the video files on your computer?
NO sound
12-20-2010, 05:21 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ha! :D

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
My daughter says the next time I ask if there's a beep, she's going to return me to B&H as defective.
"So Miss exactly what is wrong with this unit?"
"There is so much wrong I don't know where to begin!
1. Unit has faulty memory, can remember settings entered 20 yrs ago but can't remember yesterday's
2. Capacity is greatly diminished. Buffer fills ridiculously fast and must be flushed frequently! Unit can't even go on a two hour car ride without needing buffer flushed.
3. Certain functions, knobs and dials don't work very well in the morning, only after the unit has been on for seveal hours do the extremity functions and knobs work.
4. Unit has visual and aural sensitivity problems. Diopters are required to achieve in close visual sensitivity and special amplifiers have to be placed adjacent to the aural receptors.
5. Certain days unit shuts down for up to 2 hrs in the afternoon."

NaCl(the joys of getting old)H2O
12-20-2010, 05:54 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You forgot the stains, NaClH2O ;~)
12-20-2010, 08:26 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
You forgot the stains, NaClH2O ;~)
I was being ...er....diplomatic!

NaCl(some things are better left unsaid in polite company!)H2O
12-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #15

Original Poster
Well last night the LCD light went out for good, was just now and then so there go's night time shooting. I'm going to call the photo shop and get a new one for the third time this year. I would like to get one good copy if I can, and get my money's worth this time!. What bum's me out is the K5 feels so good in my hand and the way everything is laid out is spot on, and they did build a good unit just the little thing's that go wrong.

Last edited by Rick Clark; 12-20-2010 at 08:52 AM.