Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2010, 12:25 AM   #1

How to make sure you're not buying a stained one?

Hi,
Looking to purchase a K5 through a friend in London. This will be online mostly, through a online retailer...will take advantage of the 120 bucks cashback too.
Now, how do i make sure mine is not stained.
Are there any serial numbers identified, or the issue is localised to only specific markets...can i buy from london?
I don't have the liberty to buy a stained one and return it to Pentax later
Should i wait a bit?
regards,
anurag

12-20-2010, 05:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The short answers? Nope and Nope. From users that have received a replacement though (myself included), if the box contains a note about the camera having the firmware updated, there is a good chance it is a newer batch - it seems as though these cameras have all been good so far. Otherwise get your friend to test it before he sends it your way.
12-20-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It is fairly easy to

1) attach any lens
2) set the M mode, F16 to F22, and set the speed for about the right exposure against a blank piece of paper (will be 1-5 seconds if indoors, at ISO100).
3) set the focus to Manual
4) set the focus to infinity on the lens
5) take a pic of the blank clean piece of paper, moving the camera around a bit over the paper while the shutter is open

Then play back the image, zooming in about 2x to 3x and pan around the image to have a good look around. The spots, if present, are pretty obvious.

I wonder if there are serial numbers which are generally clean? Perhaps most 390000+ ones?
12-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Just make sure your friend buys from a reputable retailer with a good exchange policy, and have him/her check it before sending it to you. If it's stained or has other issues, exchange it for a new one. Rinse/repeat until satisfied.

12-21-2010, 05:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some vendors offer to check for you prior to shipping. E.g., a rather well known German online dealer (tekade) does this now if you let'em go.
12-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went into the store and simply said that I will buy the camera here and now if the sensor checks out ok.
They agreed, opened the box and we checked it together.
Sensor was bad so we checked a second one ( their last) and that one was bad too.
I said, Im sorry but not much to do. You will probably have to return those cameras to Pentax..... and left the building

I went to a second store.
Temperature was reaching -15c and the polarbears made it hard to get to the subway station...... but I got there eventually.
Said the same thing to the guys in this store and had to leave it without a K-5 and with a couple of angry guys inside. Not at me but at Pentax Just when I left they had started calling all their other stores in Sweden telling them, almost in panic, STOP selling the K-5s! We gotta send them ALL BACK...............

Funny.

yesterday I gave up. I wanted one for the holidays so I bought one from my trusted webstore.
Got it today but the box had no polastics around it and the battery was half full......
I of course got one that someone else had returned. Probably because of a faulty sensor.
I knew that I would probably have to get a new camera but I really wanted it for the holidays.'
In Sweden we have 14 days to either totally regret the buy´and get the money back or complain on DoA ( Damaged on Arrival. I have options.

After checking the sensor I found 1 strong and 2 weaker little dots in the upper mid but not like those big stains that looks as if someone has taken a painters brush with acid on it and splattered it over the sensor....

Maybe I can live with these little dots.... but they are clearly visible when I shoot macros but only if they are surrounded by a lighter area.
12-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
I wonder if there are serial numbers which are generally clean? Perhaps most 390000+ ones?
Mine 3900745 has stain! I just wonder if D7000 is in the same situation!
12-22-2010, 02:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Somebody here reported a 394xxxxx (IIRC) which has spots so Pentax haven't fixed this recently.

My shop (UK) says they have just 1 in stock which might be OK; all the rest have gone back to Pentax. Their entire stock was duff. They have just checked this one and that was faulty, too. They expect to get new stock in January.

Last edited by peterh337; 12-22-2010 at 03:26 AM.
01-06-2011, 12:27 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hi,
My friend from UK is coming to india around 11/12th Jan.
What're my chances
Falk: Germany won't do, it will be London.
There's a thread going on, 'statement from pentax germany'...which tells you how to buy a un-stained one...if you buy a piece produced post a particular date...Can someone confirm that
the statement is true?
Then i can just ask my friend to make sure he buys one produced after that date...
I will also buy 15, 35 and 70/100 along with.
Funny you can't buy this camera even if you want to buy it because of the stain problem...