Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
image rotation in K-5

I couldn't wait any more and went out today and got myself a shiny new K-5 from Michaels in Melbourne. I didn't get the bargain price of the year award, but then again, neither was I trying to.

From the few test shots that I have taken, the image quality is first rate, the AF works wonderfully well, machine gun mode rattles like... well, a machine gun, and some of the new features like auto HDR are very funky indeed.

I have one problem though, I cannot get the images to auto-rotate like they do on my k-7. I have checked the manual, checked all the settings, done everything I can think of.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm pretty sure, being a k-7 owner that I have set the various menu items correctly. Could this be an 'undocumented' feature?

For the record-
in playback menu item 4 'auto image rotation' is set to 'on'
in custom menu item 23 'saving image rotation info' is set to 'on'

What have I missed?

12-20-2010, 01:19 AM   #2

I have the same problem.

Info screen rotation works so I think the camera position sensor is ok but the problem is in the firmware. (or in settings somewhere)
12-20-2010, 01:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jyrkira Quote
I have the same problem.

Info screen rotation works so I think the camera position sensor is ok but the problem is in the firmware. (or in settings somewhere)
Exactly Jykira, the info screen rotates, the images do not. My K-5 came with version 1.01 of the firmware. Does anyone know if it was like this with Version 1.0 as well?
12-20-2010, 01:24 AM   #4
Inactive Account

this is the most annoying thing in this camera for me, I'm so used to this feature with k-7.

But I'm using this bug as an excuse not to buy K-5 yet

12-20-2010, 02:15 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Does anyone know if it was like this with Version 1.0 as well?
It was broken in firmware v1.0 as well. Just gotta wait for the fix.

bazz.
12-20-2010, 02:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Same here. I first though the setting had moved, but it seems it has disappeared. Sometimes I found the auto rotating image in review a bit annoying on the K-7, but the wife loved it when looking at my pictures of the day... I suppose they will bring it back in a future FW release?

Wim
12-20-2010, 06:30 AM   #7

This was brought up before too. I cannot wait for it to be fixed or added to the next firmware update. So, so used to it on the K-7 would love to have it on my K-5 too.

12-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
Forum Member

Some people have claimed that this is a feature, not a bug. Personally, I find that very hard to believe.
12-20-2010, 11:40 AM   #9

It was working fine on my K-7. All the option is present on the menus... but it doesn't work. I think that it is a bug . Firmware update I hope...

12-20-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yes, we're all hoping that the next firmware update fixes image rotation on playback. Silly oversight if you ask me...
12-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amaurosis Quote
Some people have claimed that this is a feature, not a bug. Personally, I find that very hard to believe.
I was one of them.

Actually, when I playback, I select "Auto Image Rotation" OFF in the play back menu. This way, I get all images to fill the screen and I can turn the camera w/o having to wait for the image to rotate which is slow.

Nevertheless, with "Auto Image Rotation" set to ON, I think the camera should always display images in the correct orientation, whatever be the camera orientation when playing back. So, I think it is a bug. And it actually works in image preview, just not in play back.

So, it may be a workaround to select "Auto Image Rotation" OFF if you want to turn the camera to play back portrait orientation shots anyway.
12-21-2010, 01:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
So, it may be a workaround to select "Auto Image Rotation" OFF if you want to turn the camera to play back portrait orientation shots anyway.
Good idea... I'll probably take this option for now. Tx!! Wim
12-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #13
Forum Member

Actually, that does make sense.

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I was one of them.

Actually, when I playback, I select "Auto Image Rotation" OFF in the play back menu. This way, I get all images to fill the screen and I can turn the camera w/o having to wait for the image to rotate which is slow.

Nevertheless, with "Auto Image Rotation" set to ON, I think the camera should always display images in the correct orientation, whatever be the camera orientation when playing back. So, I think it is a bug. And it actually works in image preview, just not in play back.

04-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #14

Hi, I was just wondering is this issue solved?
Mine has the exact problem/bug/feature??
04-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #15

Hi, is this what you've guys been talking about?

Mine has already playing back portrait orientation shots as it should be since day 1 I owned this K-5. It originally had the 1.01 firmware and now 1.03 and this auto orientation thing does not change.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo