Yes, mine behave as such as well,
when you rotate the camera 90 degree the photo should rotate as well,
but it stayed as it is, unlike my K7.

04-22-2011, 06:44 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by dogbear1980 Quote
Yes, mine behave as such as well,
when you rotate the camera 90 degree the photo should rotate as well,
but it stayed as it is, unlike my K7.
Oh, I understand now. I did not realize such feature exist because K-7 was one of Pentax DSLRs (the other one is K-m) I skip owning since K100D.
Thanks for enlightening !
07-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Is this issue solved?
The image is still can not rotate automatically with the newest firmware...
07-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by suncrimson Quote
Is this issue solved?
The image is still can not rotate automatically with the newest firmware...
No, nor would I expect it to be addressed as I don't think Pentax views it as a "bug".

I personally wish the K-5 functioned like the K-7 in this respect, but it doesn't.

07-28-2011, 12:18 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 0144 Quote
this is the most annoying thing in this camera for me, I'm so used to this feature with k-7.

But I'm using this bug as an excuse not to buy K-5 yet
Hi
This auto rotation feature I believe was purposely abandoned by PENTAX. If you think about it, it makes sense. Let me explain:

With auto rotation you need to turn the camera to portrait mode, then after a few flickers and the right position of the camera the image settled down correctly.

Now with the new system you can lock the portrait shot straight away to display correctly on the screen immediately. Now to view the the shot on screen all you have to do is turn the camera into portrait mode. Now I ask you what is the difference between method one and two ? You are still turning the camera to view, right ?

But there is a difference, In the old method it was a pain to get the picture to settle down particularly if you were viewing alternatively in quick succession landscape and portrait. With the new method it's up immediately. And as I said, you still have to turn the cam to view it.

I love the new method.

Greetings
07-28-2011, 01:37 AM   #21
Forum Member

I don;t think it's a NEW method, is it just the "Original" method from the 1st generation DSLR?

I think the image rotation is really a useful function because you can use the whole screen to view the pics in portrait composition without zooming in.

Now we can only see portrait picture on the screen in "landscape" mode, its a waste of space of the screen i think.

And yes K5 should offer an option to turn this function off at the same time.
But now it seems they don't want to give us this function...I hope they just forgot it...I think they can bring it back very easily by updating the firmware.

More function and option is not a bad thing anyway
07-28-2011, 04:51 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the image rotation is really a useful function because you can use the whole screen to view the pics in portrait composition without zooming in.
So you don't want to look at your portrait shots in landscape mode ?
What do you need to do. You need to turn the camera into portrait mode!
So what is the difference now with the k-5 ? Well nothing you turn the cam in portrait mode.

With your K-5 if you have as per page 236 of the manual selected "Auto Image Rotation" then your picture is already displaying in portrait. I don't understand what the problem is - it's displaying in portrait mode, isn't it what you want ? Why has an image got to display first in landscape mode and wait for you to turn the camera which you would do anyway. The logic fails me. Turn the camera, isn't it what you do anyway ? and the image is already displaying correctly. This way or that ?

As I said in my post above:
"in the old method it was a pain to get the picture to settle down particularly if you were viewing alternatively in quick succession landscape and portrait. With the new method it's up immediately. All you have to do is turn the camera. But not only that, often you don't even have to turn the camera completely to check up on a shot, just angle the cam slightly and twist your head a little, much faster.

Greetings

07-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
So you don't want to look at your portrait shots in landscape mode ?
What do you need to do. You need to turn the camera into portrait mode!
So what is the difference now with the k-5 ? Well nothing you turn the cam in portrait mode.

With your K-5 if you have as per page 236 of the manual selected "Auto Image Rotation" then your picture is already displaying in portrait. I don't understand what the problem is - it's displaying in portrait mode, isn't it what you want ? Why has an image got to display first in landscape mode and wait for you to turn the camera which you would do anyway. The logic fails me. Turn the camera, isn't it what you do anyway ? and the image is already displaying correctly. This way or that ?

As I said in my post above:
"in the old method it was a pain to get the picture to settle down particularly if you were viewing alternatively in quick succession landscape and portrait. With the new method it's up immediately. All you have to do is turn the camera. But not only that, often you don't even have to turn the camera completely to check up on a shot, just angle the cam slightly and twist your head a little, much faster.

Greetings
With auto image rotation selected, if you take a portrait picture, it displays in portrait mode immediately, but only in instant review. Then if you press play button to review the picture it can only view in landscape mode. It is not convenient if for examplem you want to review the pictures when you lock your camera on tripod in portrait mode. The image does not rotate into portrait mode again, so you have to turn you head...ahh

If you get the auto screen rotation selected (in status screen which is under the 3rd tab in the menu), the status screen will rotate automatically when you turn the camera. This is exactly what I want for picture review...it's very useful for me.
07-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #24
Pentaxian

With auto image rotation selected, if you take a portrait picture, it displays in portrait mode immediately, but only in instant review. Then if you press play button to review the picture it can only view in landscape mode.
Don't enable auto rotation. Then the picture will stay in portrait mode.
07-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #25
Forum Member

Do you guys shoot in RAW? Try shoot in JPEG.
07-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #26
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Don't enable auto rotation. Then the picture will stay in portrait mode.
But then you have to rotate them in post processing.
07-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The picture stays in portrait at playback if you lock in this feature as per page 236 of the manual and select "Auto Image Rotation"
07-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

With my NEC Multisync PA 241W I just turn the monitor to portrait mode and I get a full size portrait on screen. Any serious post processor should have one of those.
(That can be swiveled that is)

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 07-28-2011 at 04:24 PM.
07-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
The picture stays in portrait at playback if you lock in this feature as per page 236 of the manual and select "Auto Image Rotation"

Yes it is in the manual but it doesn't work, grab a k5 and try yourself.
07-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
But there is another setting that says something like, "save rotational info with picture" if that is enabled then it's up to the PP software to use it. If it is working that is.