Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by suncrimson Quote
Yes it is in the manual but it doesn't work, grab a k5 and try yourself.
What do you mean it does not work, If it doesn't in your case you have not set the option correctly. I have no issue to get it to work.

Greetings

07-29-2011, 01:16 AM   #32
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
What do you mean it does not work, If it doesn't in your case you have not set the option correctly. I have no issue to get it to work.

Greetings
come on dude...

Please read OP's post "I cannot get the images to auto-rotate like they do on my k-7"

This is what we are talking about and it does not work in EVERY K5 owner's case. Look at the 1st page of this thread then you can see people want this function and me too.
07-29-2011, 04:03 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi
In my post I said:
"The picture stays in portrait at playback if you lock in this feature as per page 236 of the manual and select "Auto Image Rotation"

and you, dude, answered:
"Yes it is in the manual but it doesn't work, grab a k5 and try yourself"

No matter what your perception is of my retort I say it does do that and if you cannot get this to work then you have not ticked the box in the camera's menu where it says "Auto Image Rotation"

Then a portrait picture taken will always be displayed in portrait mode when played back on the camera screen. You do not have to turn the camera to get it to do this. The portrait picture is immediately displayed correctly. I can't understand why you can't get it to work.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 07-29-2011 at 04:12 AM.
07-29-2011, 04:33 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I think this line: "... to auto-rotate like they do on my k-7" is the key to solving your misunderstanding.

The OP wants to auto rotate the image when tilting the camera, just like it does on the K7. Sadly, that doesn't work on the K5. The auto-rotating-by-tilting does work with the K5's menu. So it's a bit of a missed oppertunity that this doesn't work in picture playback. The feature's there, just not implemented consequently.

Last edited by Clavius; 07-29-2011 at 04:43 AM.
07-29-2011, 05:27 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi
For the world of me I cannot understand why people mourn the loss of this silly auto rotation feature. Why in the world do you want to load on you camera screen a portrait shot first incorrectly in landscape and then turn the camera and wait until the tilting fuction gets it right after a few turning attempts of the camera.

You can have it displaying in portrait correctly immediately and you save yourself the time and effort by not loading it incorrectly first.

Beats me.
07-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #36

Hi
For the world of me I cannot understand why people mourn the loss of this silly auto rotation feature. Why in the world do you want to load on you camera screen a portrait shot first incorrectly in landscape and then turn the camera and wait until the tilting fuction gets it right after a few turning attempts of the camera.

You can have it displaying in portrait correctly immediately and you save yourself the time and effort by not loading it incorrectly first.
I have K-5 set to display portrait "correctly" immediately and still miss auto-rotate feature from K-7. With K-7 I did not need to rotate camera 90 decrees to see image quickly between other images. And it was quick to rotate the camera if I wanted to see a portrait image bigger. With K-5 I need to rotate camera always to quick check portrait images between other images.
07-30-2011, 07:03 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jyrkira Quote
With K-7 I did not need to rotate camera 90 decrees to see image quickly
Hi
Sorry, I don't understand your logic. With the old auto rotation system, If you don't need to rotate the camera 90 degrees to view a portrait picture, well then just do the same with the already in portrait mode locked in system, what is the difference. You do the same, don't you? I don't know how I can make you understand this.

Lets call the the K7D auto rotation system the "old system" and the new lockable portrait mode of the K-5 the" new system."

In the "old system" you say you don't need to turn the cam a full 90 degrees to see the portrait shot in full. O.k., with the "new system" you don't need to do this either, its already there, turn the cam any degrees you like. You can even view it without turning the cam if you put your mind to it.

And then you write:
"And it was quick to rotate the camera if I wanted to see a portrait image bigger"

Well again I can't see the logic in what you are saying here. If you want to see the locked in portrait picture with the "new system" quickly, you do the same, don't you? You turn the camera! The picture is already there, you turn the camera for crying out loud, this way or that way! The picture is already there for you to view!

Just think about it: the old K-7 auto rotation gimmick has no benefit, if anything it is a hindrance. The PENTAX engineers recognised this and have done away with it because it makes zero sense. They have retained the auto rotation feature for the status screen though because here it does make sense to auto rotate.

Greetings

07-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #38
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hi
Just think about it: the old K-7 auto rotation gimmick has no benefit, if anything it is a hindrance. The PENTAX engineers recognised this and have done away with it because it makes zero sense. They have retained the auto rotation feature for the status screen though because here it does make sense to auto rotate.
Man, just think about it: If the old auto rotation gimmick makes zero sense, then why some many people here are talking about it and want it to be back on K-5?

See Clavius' reply The feature's there, just not implemented consequently..
This is the problem that we are talking about.

If you don't want this function, fine, at least currently your K-5 makes you happy, good to see that.
07-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by suncrimson Quote
Man, just think about it: If the old auto rotation gimmick makes zero sense, then why some many people here are talking about it and want it to be back on K-5?

See Clavius' reply The feature's there, just not implemented consequently..
This is the problem that we are talking about.

If you don't want this function, fine, at least currently your K-5 makes you happy, good to see that.
Sad to see that some people in this world cannot be convinced, not even with demonstrable logic. Have a nice day.

Greetings
07-31-2011, 09:32 AM   #40

Sad to see that some people in this world cannot be convinced, not even with demonstrable logic. Have a nice day.

Greetings
This is actually my biggest gripe about the K-5 vs the K-7...

The functionality of the K-7 was much more intuitive to me when reviewing pictures after the fact, expecially if many of them had been taken in portrait mode. Here's my vote for making the 'old method' an option in a future firmware.
07-31-2011, 07:51 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wesbo Quote
This is actually my biggest gripe about the K-5 vs the K-7...

The functionality of the K-7 was much more intuitive to me when reviewing pictures after the fact, expecially if many of them had been taken in portrait mode. Here's my vote for making the 'old method' an option in a future firmware.
Hi
If you set the K-7D on "Auto Rotation" and point the lens to the sky and then want to rotate a portrait picture and find it does not work and if you like this and find it " intuitive" so be it.

If you set the K-7D on "Auto Rotation" and point the lens toward you feet (when standing) and then want to rotate a portrait picture and find it does not work and if you like this and find it " intuitive" so be it.

If you set the K-7D on "Auto Rotation" and point the lens straight ahead and then want to rotate a portrait picture and find it does work but only if you get the angle right (after a couple of flickering images back and forth) and if you like this and find it " intuitive" so be it.

If all of this makes you happy and if all of this is something you long for and you are now missing "so be it". I won't even try to talk you out of it. You are obviously seeing something I am missing, I grant you that and bow to your superiority.

Best greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 07-31-2011 at 08:16 PM.
10-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are obviously seeing something I am missing ...
I think some people are missing your point, and others are thinking of a specific use case that you don't include in your analysis.

For the people that don't get it, by turning auto-image rotation off, when viewing images, they will always fill the screen. When a portrait shot comes up it will be sideways, so you have to rotate the camera to view it properly. This makes sense because if the image only rotated when you turned the camera, you would have to wait every time for the image to re-render in the new orientation. So for those of you that want portrait images to always be displayed so that they fill the screen and you have to rotate the camera to view it, turn auto-image rotation off. It is counter-intuitive, but that's the setting. The auto-image rotation is referring to displaying the picture in a way that you don't have to rotate the camera. It's auto-rotating the portrait image so you don't have to rotate the camera to see it.

As for the use case where this feature might make sense, it is when you are reviewing a bunch of pictures and you are scrolling through them. Let's say I don't want to rotate the camera every time a portrait shot comes up, so I can live with the smaller image with auto-rotation on. But then I come to an image that I'd like to take a closer look at, so I'd like to rotate the camera and have the camera re-render the image so it fills the screen.

Last edited by GregK8; 10-08-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: typos
10-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
As for the use case where this feature might make sense, it is when you are reviewing a bunch of pictures and you are scrolling through them. Let's say I don't want to rotate the camera every time a portrait shot comes up, so I can live with the smaller image with auto-rotation on. But then I come to an image that I'd like to take a closer look at, so I'd like to rotate the camera and have the camera re-render the image so it fills the screen.
Bingo.
10-08-2011, 11:44 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
I don't want to rotate the camera every time a portrait shot comes up, so I can live with the smaller image with auto-rotation on. But then I come to an image that I'd like to take a closer look at, so I'd like to rotate the camera and have the camera re-render the image so it fills the screen.
A very very small price to pay for the benefit of not having it.
Pardon me, but are you trying to tell me you can't identify a portrait shot for closer inspection that comes up immediately in full just because it is lying on its side? And if you then want to look at it in its correct orientation you turn the camera around, don't you ? this way or that! But having it displayed correctly you don't have to fiddle around with correct camera positioning and flickering resettling pictures until you can look at it. Most of the time the picture won't turn anyway because the cam is not in the correct (precise) "plane" to activate the resetting mechanism. And more often than not I do not turn the cam a full 90° anyway to look at a picture. Another benefit is the picture comes up on your computer screen correctly right away.

But be it as it may we all have our own little likes and dislikes, I understand that. I am just surprised so many people get hung up on so many inconsequential things. (And when you really think it through they sometimes become even more inconsequential)

I hope I have not upset you.

Greetings
10-09-2011, 04:16 AM   #45
Veteran Member

But be it as it may we all have our own little likes and dislikes, I understand that. I am just surprised so many people get hung up on so many inconsequential things.
I am curious why you seem to be so hung up on the fact that many people preferred the way the K-7 handled this feature? I also fail to see how implementing one additional check-box in the menu to allow people to choose whether playback uses the old system (K-7) or the new system (K-5) would be a problem.