Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Truth will set you free....apparently he like to be a slave for Nikon?
Regards!

12-21-2010, 02:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
Not in a single serious review so far (except for the Troll).

Well, I really like the full magnesium alloy body and SR in body that K-5 has and the D7000 doesn't! What the D7000 has to offer over the K-5? 39! AF points? Dual card slots... What?
Compatibility to a boatload of Nikon glass that we can only dream about, including longer zooms currently in production, tilt-shift lenses, and more.

Best-in-the business flash system

More evolved AF system

Extensive support for working pros

Ashton Kutcher

Let it be. They are both very nice cameras - arguably more competent than most of their owners. This ain't no holy war.
12-21-2010, 03:03 AM   #18
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Nikon D7000 Trumps Pentax K5"
...in two categories.

Seriously, this guy had only two points to support his claim yet he blabbed on for nearly 5 minutes. I would hardly say that a DxO low-light ISO score of 1162 vs 1167 would be considered a "trump" either.
12-21-2010, 03:19 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
engadget's summary of reviews selects a bunch of poor quotes for it too.

Pentax K-5 review roundup: solid but pricey upgrade from the K-7 -- Engadget

12-21-2010, 04:24 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 006 Quote
d7000, k-5, sony alpha-55 got the same sensors. sony's body uses only 75% of light for it's locked up mirror
I believe it's closer to 95%
12-21-2010, 04:33 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
I believe it's closer to 95%
It absorbs 1/3 of a stop of light.
12-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Compatibility to a boatload of Nikon glass that we can only dream about, including longer zooms currently in production, tilt-shift lenses, and more.

Best-in-the business flash system

More evolved AF system

Extensive support for working pros

Ashton Kutcher

Let it be. They are both very nice cameras - arguably more competent than most of their owners. This ain't no holy war.
Did I forgot to mention Weather Resistant body and lens?

Do you suffer from LBA? There's a running thread about a guy who takes magnificent macros with a K200 an some old glass. Who needs all those lenses? Rarely need more then two or three good ones on the bag. I have much better ideas on how and where to spend my money. And most people will be more than satisfy within the 300mm range. Not enough? Sigma has some great telephoto lens with Pentax mount, up to 500mm?

Tilt-shift lenses? Lensbaby have some pretty and affordable products that fit Pentax. Furthermore, you can do that stuff on Ps or Alienskin bokeh, or else; save yourself the money and the hassle of carrying those expensive lenses with you.

Is there a problem with flashguns on Pentax cameras? Didn't knew that.

More evolved AF? I most certainly doubt that. Certainly more involved (=occupied).

A working pro don't buy a D7000, but I may be wrong. This cameras are primarily aimed for enthusiasts and beginners.

Ashton Kutcher? Sorry, don't follow (twitter).

What holy war? Just asking for objectivity, and a share on the market.. Nothing more.

12-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #23

Few weeks ago I decided to change my 2nd camera from Sony. I could buy Pentax k-5 or Nikon d7000. I knew the dxo tests, and I decided to buy Pentax. One of the reasons was the floating sensor. ff and bf is a very serious problem. sometimes with expensive, good lenses. you can have best AF system in your camera, but it's worth nothing, when Your lenses got FF or BF. apart of that auto-level option is also a great function plus I dont want to pay for stabilisation everytime i want to buy lens. I also have Canon system and - for example - basic 100mm 2.8 macro lens with stabilisation is 2 times more expensive than the one with the same optics without IS system. anyway nikon d7000 is also a great camera, but Pentax is a bit better in my opinion. apart of that it's always better to support smaller companies to help competition.

i forgot...

Pentax still supports historical, manual lenses - that I love. nikon does not.

Last edited by 006; 12-27-2010 at 11:52 AM.
12-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Did I forgot to mention Weather Resistant body and lens?

Do you suffer from LBA? There's a running thread about a guy who takes magnificent macros with a K200 an some old glass. Who needs all those lenses? Rarely need more then two or three good ones on the bag. I have much better ideas on how and where to spend my money. And most people will be more than satisfy within the 300mm range. Not enough? Sigma has some great telephoto lens with Pentax mount, up to 500mm?

Tilt-shift lenses? Lensbaby have some pretty and affordable products that fit Pentax. Furthermore, you can do that stuff on Ps or Alienskin bokeh, or else; save yourself the money and the hassle of carrying those expensive lenses with you.

Is there a problem with flashguns on Pentax cameras? Didn't knew that.

More evolved AF? I most certainly doubt that. Certainly more involved (=occupied).

A working pro don't buy a D7000, but I may be wrong. This cameras are primarily aimed for enthusiasts and beginners.

What holy war? Just asking for objectivity, and a share on the market.. Nothing more.
The holy war is this silly arguing (from both Pentax and Nikon camps) that one camera is decisively better than the other. They are not. They are peas in a pod, with miniscule different features that appeal to one group or another.

Look at this way...a great photograph is 70% the photographer and 30% the camera. In terms of final output, the D7000 and the K-5 are 99% the same. Everyone is arguing about the 1% difference. At the end of the day, that's 1% out of 30% - roughly equivalent to the fart of an ant.

We'd all create better photographs if we focused on the 70% rather than the fart of an ant.

That's all.
12-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #25
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Finally some sense (thanks John).
The minutiae may be fun to haggle each other about, but it's of very little value in the end.
Get out there and create some real photographs with these real cameras and we can see what value these cameras have in real life.

If the system doesn't offer someone what he/she wants, then it's high time to switch to one that does...
12-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
The holy war is this silly arguing (from both Pentax and Nikon camps) that one camera is decisively better than the other. They are not. They are peas in a pod, with miniscule different features that appeal to one group or another.

Look at this way...a great photograph is 70% the photographer and 30% the camera. In terms of final output, the D7000 and the K-5 are 99% the same.
+1 on that! The mentality of the digital consumer crowd of all camps is great for entertainment.
12-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A minor American celebrity best known for sleeping with a woman old enough to be his mother.

He also makes very creepy Nikon commercials.
12-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
A minor American celebrity best known for sleeping with a woman old enough to be his mother.

He also makes very creepy Nikon commercials.
That makes sense. Thanks.