Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
replaced K-5 - no issues left

I'm happy to report that after one week of waiting I got back my K-5 replaced by a new unit. I complained only about the stains, but the original K-5 also suffered from the flash issue, the AF selectors were not precise and the camera had tenedency to front focus with most of my lenses.

The replacement unit is simply perfect. Image sensor is pure and clean, flash exposure extremely precise and the af selectors have very distinct clicks in them. My DFA50 focuses extremely precisely with the new unit out of the box, without adjustments.

I loved the original K-5, but the new one is a marvel. So no remorse for being the early adopter. And I strongly hope all the following K-5's will be as flawless as mine.

12-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to hear that.
Enjoy your new copy - and share your results on it.
12-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Have you checked if sensor is actually true to the horizon when camera is leveled?

Owning a K7/K5 body has a lot in common with owning a VW... if the "check engine" isn't on, something is wrong....
12-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Have you checked if sensor is actually true to the horizon when camera is leveled?
It isn't...
But I do not want any more replacement. I'll just ask them to adjust it without touching anything else.

12-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear that... On mine everything is "perfect" except the fact that sensor is stained... And i'm honestly afraid to send it in because the new one, will surely have something else...
12-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I loved the original K-5, but the new one is a marvel. So no remorse for being the early adopter. And I strongly hope all the following K-5's will be as flawless as mine.
Similar story here...cross-shipped for new one from Amazon after Oct. 15 purchase. Actually had both to play with for a while. New one not only has perfect looking sensor but the lock-up issue on low battery seems to be gone as well as the too tight SD slot. Now I can shoot the SD card across the table if I try.

Is life good or what? Lets see how it likes an hour or two of freezing temps tonight shooting the lunar eclipse.
12-20-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I hope your one has the digital level better callibrated.

12-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I hope your one has the digital level better callibrated.
Its all a matter of requirements...mine don't include movie mode or digital levels. Wishing you full functionality though. Enjoy!
12-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Actually it doesn't really matter if you're using the digital level... Have you tested if the sensor is actually true to camera's horizon? Just take a shot aligning one of the frame borders with something straight... then check on the computer if on the final image it's still aligned, because chances are - it's not...
12-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #10
Rin
Forum Member

Actually it doesn't really matter if you're using the digital level... Have you tested if the sensor is actually true to camera's horizon? Just take a shot aligning one of the frame borders with something straight... then check on the computer if on the final image it's still aligned, because chances are - it's not...
i think the best way is to take a photo of something absolutely level and align it first on your viewfinder with the help of the AF points etc to check if you are holding the camera level, after that check in your viewfinder the horizon level reading if it is leveled according to that too, if not then it is off.

It would be ideal to be able to calibrate it yourself.
12-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
Site Supporter

You guys trying to convince me there MUST there be something wrong?

Nah, its fine. When testing the da15 I just gave myself for xmas I did a lot of framing of flat and vertical lines to test the lens and was very happy with the way the viewfinder image matched the shot. Thats all I needed.
12-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In that case, it would be nice to have the SN's for the "perfect" K5's!

That way, maybe we can see if there is a trend for the unaffected cameras.

Just a thought.

JP
12-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I still remember that post about K7 when they came out... horizon correction was a newly-introduced gimmick back then.... the guy received the camera, played with it, was very happy, etc... but after turning off the horizon correction, sensor still stayed "banked" to one side...
12-21-2010, 05:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The image sensor itself seems well aligned. Much better than it was on my K10D. It is only the level indicator that measures the tilt wrongly. I guess I don't mind.