Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #1

K-5 "Stains"

I received my K-5 from the PentaxWebstore (CT, USA) and there appears to be a "stain" within the top right quarter of the images.
Upon calling (about a return for replacement) to see if there was a way to insure I did not receive another stained K-5, after paying all the shipping, I was told to ship it instead to a repair center in Chandler, Arizona, where they will determine whether it is a warranty repair or not. My question is that from reading about this, I am under the impression that the problem was within a sealed portion of the camera, or one which should be sealed, thus non-repairable. Hence, I am uncertain whether to try the repair, or just ask for a new camera exchange and hope there will be no more cause for shipping expenses? Any suggestions?

12-21-2010, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i would ask for an exchange and direct the person you dealt with to any number of threads discussing the issue
i would not ship for repair, that's just lunacy.
email them the image from your camera if they want to confirm, it's pretty obvious when you are looking at this issue
12-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Are you absolutely certain that it is a "stain" or just a bit of dust?
One is a replace the unit issue, the other is a clean the sensor issue.
There are at least a dozen threads dedicated to the "stain" issue on this forum right now, most of which will have pictures posted of what the stain problem looks like.
Perhaps you should investigate these threads and ensure that what you think you have is what you have.
12-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you Eddie1960 for your quick response.

12-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, I appreciate your caution Wheatfield, and it is no more than mine, as I certainly hate to release this wonderful camera (Serial Number 3909037) from my possession, now that I have it. Why it's mental cruelty.
Have programed the "Dust Removal function" at start-up of the K-5 and tried different lenses. I have cleaned the CMOS sensor per the operating manual, to no avail. The bright center and outer ring(s) obvious in the nearly dozen test photos taken with different lenses, etc., match what I have seen described in other threads.
12-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Sounds like you have a winner, unfortunately. If the vendor has an exchange policy, I would make use of it rather than going the repair route.
12-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
Inactive Account

The online chat person I talked to told me I needed to return it for evaluation and repair if needed and they would then determine if it was a warranty issue. C'mon...it was 2 weeks old. It should just be replaced. He said it was not his call.

Luckily it appears that the second one I received from Adorama is defect free.
12-23-2010, 02:34 AM   #8
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
Luckily it appears that the second one I received from Adorama is defect free.
Delighted to hear it!

12-23-2010, 02:40 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a manufacturer defect- in the BH thread we say that pentax officially admitted this and would replace any broken bodies. If you bought through a retailer, they should accept the return.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: