Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #1

K-5 White Balance problems

I have had the K-5 for a couple of weeks now. I mostly take botanical macro shots either using the inbuilt flash or a AF-360fgz external one. I have found the white balance is not consistent. The default setting is 'when using flash white balance is set to flash' I have tried all three options for flash white balance and mostly find the images have a red cast. I suspect it is worse since I upgraded the firmware. In the beginning most flash shots shows a white balance of 5100, they now mostly are 6200. Most photographs are made in very low light in rainforest. Has anyone else noticed this problem?

12-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not really, the white balance on the K5 seems to be one of it's strong points. Are you shooting raw so you can easily correct in PP? Maybe try a custom white balance at the point of shooting.
12-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #3

Original Poster
I shoot raw and it is just a pain to have to adjust every image. Just another step - I have hundreds of images each day to edit. With the K7 I ended up setting the WB at 5200 when using the flash and I will probably do this with the K5. At least it is very easy to change the wb with Pentax.
12-21-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Depending on exactly what you are shooting, asking AWB to work is not realistic. AWB depends on an "average" scene to work properly, as soon as you get into macros, especially of flora, you have moved away from an average scene type into one that is deficient in one or more primary colours.
Your best bet will be to set WB manually.

12-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've noticed it is not consistent and not as good as my K-x in this regard. I shoot raw so its not a real issue but often shots in shade (with only natural lighting) will have far far too much yellow cast. Not a personal preference amount I mean, orange skinned um-pa-lump-a orange :P

I'm talking one in 250 shots will be containing this error. Where as my K-x contained zero in 5000.
12-21-2010, 10:52 PM   #6

Custom settings....

Maybe You can get help from Custom Menu settings: C2-10 and C2-11 which deal with WB including flash WB behavior. No K5 (yet :-) but on my K20D it works this way (drifts according to ambient if I wish).
Best and happy flashing, JR
12-25-2010, 02:27 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a link to where you can obtain a tool which will correct your problems and is simple to use on every shot:

http://http://colorright.com/
12-25-2010, 07:38 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
Here is a link to where you can obtain a tool which will correct your problems and is simple to use on every shot:

http://http://colorright.com/
$129?????? I don't thin' so Lucy!