Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax Europe replacement arrived:-(

S/N 3885918..replacement body arrived..haven't even took it home..the service people took this picture-this looks different as the previous one and there is only one spot..however if you look at it closely there is a brighter ring around it..

..the question is? how did Pentax Europe checked this camera before sending it back to me????

..I was told in the service that the same happened with another K-5..the replacement body was also affected..

I have send an email to Pentax Europe and the nice french lady (with whom I talked before on the phone) confirmed that they received it..however Christmas is on the way..everybody is on holiday so no answer before next Wednesday..

Andras

12-23-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know this must be extremely disappointing to you, but at least it does not look like the "string of pearls". I would not be surprised if this spot went away with a sensor cleaning (though maybe a wet cleaning will be required). Have you tried the dust removal, or a blower ?
12-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I know this must be extremely disappointing to you, but at least it does not look like the "string of pearls". I would not be surprised if this spot went away with a sensor cleaning (though maybe a wet cleaning will be required). Have you tried the dust removal, or a blower ?
well-even if it goes away with wet cleaning how did Pentax checked it? And that brighter ring around the spot..that is annoying. Actually the service people took this picture before I arrived to pick up the new body..and they told me that it was affected too..
12-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #4

looks like dust to me

12-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by buntal Quote
looks like dust to me
it has a ring around it, and as it was taken by the service personel I've checked the exif..it is at iso400 and at f16..should be more pronounced at iso100 and at f22. Checked my own pictures and there is a big difference between f22 and f16.

Last edited by planedriver; 12-23-2010 at 10:35 AM.
12-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You only need to change a lens and you get a bit of dust in there... very hard to avoid.

And getting rid of dust is not always easy. I tried a brand new camera lens brush and it made it far worse. The only way was to blow it off using a compressed air source.
12-24-2010, 01:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yep, all 3 replacement cameras sent by Pentax Europe are defective. Mine also has one unremovable pearl (no cleaning method can get rid of it), at least it's not in the middle so I don't care about it, but it's still disappointing. Pentax Europe also lost my O-ME53, next week the local repair shop will give me a new one. And the electronic level is off by 3 degree. I wonder what other defects may pop up during the weekend.
Poor QC at the factory is one thing. But now even the European repair center doesn't check the replacement cameras before sending them?! We've waited more than 2 weeks to get defective cams and now we should wait another 2-3 weeks to get these replaced as well?! This is the real problem.

12-24-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
Rin
Forum Member

I hope mine will arrive in good condition, but it does look like a dust spot to me......
12-24-2010, 08:11 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
let the sensor be cleaned in a local store, maybe it's really only some dust that cannot be wiped away with Dust Removal ... shouldn't cost more than 40 €

it would probably calm down lots of people running around in panic because of "sensor stains"
12-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by planedriver Quote
well-even if it goes away with wet cleaning how did Pentax checked it? And that brighter ring around the spot..that is annoying. Actually the service people took this picture before I arrived to pick up the new body..and they told me that it was affected too..
hmmm... yeah, but still looks like dust on this one. Not saying your wrong per se, its just odd that the oil would look exactly like a single dust spot.
12-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rin Quote
I hope mine will arrive in good condition, but it does look like a dust spot to me......
this is at iso100 f22...

is this dust?

Andras

Last edited by planedriver; 12-29-2010 at 10:34 AM.
12-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by planedriver Quote
this is at iso100 f22...

is this dust?

Andras
Yes for sure it is a dust spot; stained sensor have this typical look
12-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it is dust. When my K-5 arrived I discovered a spot like yours and after de initial fear that it might be the dreaded stain issue I asked a local Pentax dealer to clean it. Since then my sensor has been spotless!
12-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #14
Forum Member

dust

its dust. if i were to shoot something with my k20d at f22 i would see half a dozen just like it, but i dont sweat it cause i never use those apertures
12-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #15

According to falconeye's advanced stainology, d = (H - C) * N/2, or

distance = (total spot diameter - dark spot diameter) * f-number / 2

I see a total spot diameter of 18, and a dark spot diameter of 7 pixels. For Andras' camera, falconeye's formula yields 0,58201 mm distance between light obstruction and sensor, assuming a pixel pitch of 4.81 µm.

This would mean that the replacement is flawed, because the computed distance is far too small to indicate dust on the AA filter.