Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #16
WRB
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Real Deal absolutely

I shot pictures Christmas Eve at a family gathering using iSO 1600 and 3200, my friend using Canon 50D was totally impressed at the quality. He really liked the feel of the K-5 with the FA31 attached. It is as good as advertised, perhaps better?

12-27-2010, 12:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Delgado;1316724[B:
]I have never been so impressed by a DSLR as the K5. I am so impressed that I am now on the verge of retiring my K7 as supporting body, and running two K5s - something I have never done with a DSLR. [/B]For the first time I have been able to use AF-C with real confidence on a Pentax body, and can use ISO 25,600 routinely (with post-production in Adobe Camera Raw, paying special attention to the luminance controls). With the K7 and K20 I was always on the ragged edge at 3200 - 6400.

The K5's burst frame rates in DNG are good provided you are not trying to squeeze off 20 at a time every few seconds, as the buffer takes a long time to clear.

The only "funnies" I have noted with the K5 are that mine has an auto-white balance that appears slightly over-sensitive (i.e. erratic with very small changes in camera position, but easily remedied by using a white balance reference card), and the shutter becomes slightly noisier at high shutter speeds, making a louder "clacking" sound than at lower speeds (neither of which matters to me).
I am thinking the same... going to sell my K-7 and K-x and get another K-5.
12-27-2010, 03:53 AM   #18

I used K10d, k20d, now I bought one K5.

I should say like this for sure, compared with the former two Pentax DSLR, K5 is jusmping to a new level, especially in autofucus and ISO noise. Even stand abreast with other brandnames' same category DSLR, I don't think K5 would lost its gound or face.

My advice: just go for it!
12-27-2010, 04:00 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
I am thinking the same... going to sell my K-7 and K-x and get another K-5.
I won't sell my K10d, k20d even if I have bought one K5. They are the milesones of Pentax products we are witnessing.

My suggestion is you can shelf them as collection of articrafts, expecting for the appreciation of its' value many yrs after

Last edited by azure_sun; 12-27-2010 at 06:15 AM.
12-29-2010, 12:41 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Having owned all of the WR models (K10/20/7/5) ...
You forgot the K200!
12-29-2010, 03:25 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I didn't know K200 belongs to a WR (Weather Resistant)
12-29-2010, 08:33 AM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
You forgot the K200!
Sorry, Never owned one, never even Saw one. Should have said flagships.

12-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Bought a GX10 3 years ago because I wanted a "Pentax" but the Samsung was cheaper and had a 2yr warranty against the 10D's 1yr. Have had a lot of fun with it - but all the well-known issues were there (autofocus speed at air shows, limited ISO range, etc.).

Looked at most of the range in between since then and could not justify an upgrade but have now taken advantage of the UK January Sales and a very good short-term price (£800 for the body only, after £80 cashback to come from Pentax) because our VAT rate goes to 20% on 4th Jan 2011.

Just hope I made the right decision (and the wife does not find out too quickly!! ) as this one probably has to last me quite a few years because I retire in <2yrs and the cashflow situation will be much worse!
12-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by buaobao Quote
I didn't know K200 belongs to a WR (Weather Resistant)
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Sorry, Never owned one, never even Saw one. Should have said flagships.
Yes, Sir(s). You each have to buy one, now. :-).
12-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Bought a GX10 3 years ago because I wanted a "pentax" but the Samsung was cheaper and had a 2yr warranty against the 10D's 1yr. Have had a lot of fun with it - but all the well-known issues were there (autofocus speed at air shows, limited ISO range, etc.).

Looked at most of the range in between since then and could not justify an upgrade but have now taken advantage of the UK January Sales and a very good short-term price (£800 after £80 cashback to come from Pentax) because our VAT rate goes to 20% on 4th Jan 2011.

Just hope I made the right decision (and the wife does not find out too quickly!! :-) ) as this one probably has to last me quite a few years because I retire in <2yrs and the cashflow situation will be much worse! :-(
You will love it. I truly believe this is the first DLSR that won't look old in a year. Except for video issues but I'm a picture guy. This will last you well into retirement.
Be well Joe
12-29-2010, 10:28 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Impartial Quote
Yes, Sir(s). You each have to buy one, now. :-).
I'm sure it's a nice camera that is enjoyed quite a bit by it's owners. I tried a K100d before buying my first K10d and just didn't like it very much. Not that I thought it a bad camera but the K10d was so much more comfortable for me to use. I've stuck with the top line since then, with no regrets.

12-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Impartial Quote
Yes, Sir(s). You each have to buy one, now. :-)
I've got my attention much in K20D and so never have interest in the other model and look at the shot I took with K20D.

cheers!
12-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #28
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joelovotti Quote
I just retired my K10 for a new K5 and it's like a new world.
Don't get me wrong I loved my K10 but I was well aware of it's limitations. But I wasn't going to upgrade until I got everything I wanted. That's why I passed on the K20 and the K7.
Long story short, the best upgrade I ever did.
Cost is the only possible reason not to pull the trigger. I'm sure you'll be able to save a few hundred if you wait a few months but if you have the cash,buy.
I would have typed everything Joe already did; it's like Joe read my mind ... or did I read his! ooOOOoooh.
01-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm trying to understand the the main reasons for users' enthusiasm since there seems to be several new features people like. I accept the positives people express, but I do also understand the excitement over a new toy (one of life's best experiences though not necessarily inspiring objectivity). I own the K7 and am wondering . . .

Let's say you only use manual focus, and mostly shoot with a tripod at 100 ISO, some at 400 or under, but never over 800. Is the K5 going to yield much higher IQ than the K7? IOW, autofocus doesn't matter to me, nor anything that doesn't noticeably improve IQ.

One additional fact to throw in is, I just won a Zeiss 35mm F2 lens on Ebay and dream of owning the Zeiss 21mm F2.8 one day. Such lenses (especially the 21mm) seem to produce resolution figures higher than even the K5 sensor can detect. So again, I wonder if the K5 would offer enough over the K7 that it wouldn't be smarter to wait for the next Pentax at 18 or 21 (or whatever) megapixels.
01-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I'm trying to understand the the main reasons for users' enthusiasm since there seems to be several new features people like. I accept the positives people express, but I do also understand the excitement over a new toy (one of life's best experiences though not necessarily inspiring objectivity). I own the K7 and am wondering . . .

Let's say you only use manual focus, and mostly shoot with a tripod at 100 ISO, some at 400 or under, but never over 800. Is the K5 going to yield much higher IQ than the K7? IOW, autofocus doesn't matter to me, nor anything that doesn't noticeably improve IQ.

One additional fact to throw in is, I just won a Zeiss 35mm F2 lens on Ebay and dream of owning the Zeiss 21mm F2.8 one day. Such lenses (especially the 21mm) seem to produce resolution figures higher than even the K5 sensor can detect. So again, I wonder if the K5 would offer enough over the K7 that it wouldn't be smarter to wait for the next Pentax at 18 or 21 (or whatever) megapixels.
I think is the scenarios you put forth, there wouldn't be a huge gain. I think I actually prefer the K-7 ISO 100 to the K-5 ISO 100, except for instances where DR is a concern. I think the K-7 has nicer colors and appears to be slightly sharper at the lower ISOs. But for anything where DR or shadow detail, or for anything over ISO 400, the K-5 is the clear and present winner.

Last edited by FullertonImages; 01-05-2011 at 03:45 PM.