Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #1

k-5 focus

I am an old time photog new to forums and didn't see "search" feature. I spent an hour wondering why 40mm kept back-focusing in poor light. Should have consulted forum. Next morning in natural light lens was perfect. Figured it wasn't me. I hope there will be a future fix.
Meanwhile the K-5 has continued to knock me out. Great camera. I won't go on and on about it. Selling my 5d.
Shooting at 1600 is a joy. At that iso (or whatever it's now called) the "noise" reminds me of Tri-x at 400, developed in Rodinal. I used to spend hours processing that combo to get the look I coveted.
My wife asked me to stop talking about the camera. Anyone else with the same problem?
Purchased incredible wrist strap. Not sure if I'm allowed to mention vendor so won't.

Attached Images

12-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool! Glad to hear you like the K-5! You're not the only one, I don't even own a K-5 but still can't keep from talking about it!

As far as I know it's alright to mention venders here on the forum... Is that strap leather? It appears like it would be tough!
12-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have said all along that the K-5 would attract some FF shooters, and your post is confirmation. Why carry a bulky, heavy, expensive kit when such great IQ can be had with a smaller, lighter, less expensive one? Sure, the next generation of FFs will be amazing, but the tradeoffs may no longer be worth accepting, except for those with exceptional photographic needs or an obsession for ultimate IQ (and with lots of money to burn.) Of course, for ultimate IQ, one should really be looking at MF, but that carries even greater tradeoffs.

Rob
12-23-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had similar focus problem with FA*24 lens. I used the AF microajustment functionality to improve the accuracy in poor light and surprisingly the accuracy is still fine under daylight.

12-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

there is entire thread about focusing problem https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/126234-who-cares-bad-aut...ten-light.html
12-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

That is one great looking set-up. This Tungsten light AF issue will be soon resolved. Pentax, since the k-7 has even incorporated sensors to make sure the AF works well under varying light conditions (as you may know all AF systems are fooled by different wavellengths of light, and Pentax had come up with ways to even eliminate that) and it worked incredibly well with the K-7. The K-5 will be at least as good as the K-7 as soon as the new firmware is released.

The + in the "SAFOX IX+" (Pentax AF name) stands for this extra sensor...ones the software is made to work as well as it did with the K-7 it would be great.