Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #1

viewfinder information legibility

Am I the only over fifty year old who has trouble reading the information in the optical viewfinder of the K5, or k7? I doubt it. I had a look through a canon 5D mark ll and the print was perfectly clear. Is it possible to adjust the clarity, or is it a design flaw?

12-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you checked the diopeter adjustement level ? It is just above the viewfinder. Adjust the lever until the AF frame in the view finder appears parfectly focused.

The viewfinder of the K-7/K-5 is one of the best viewfinder that I have seen to date and I am surprised by your problem.

Hope that the comment will assist...
12-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

+1 on diopter adjust as a first step. The best way is with the lens off so that you can see the screen without an image focused on it. Adjust the diopter until the etched lines on the screen are sharpest.
12-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Stray light from the sun

I think what loupen is talking about is the green info text at the bottom of the screen. With the sun shining brightly and hitting the viewfinder in an angel either from the left or right it is impossible to read the text at the bottom. I have to shield the viewfinder with my free hand to be able to read anything at all. I have tried an eye cup but this does not work very well with spectacles. I would like to see a brightness adjustment function (similar to a volume button). Conversely it would be good to turn the brightness of the green info text down at night because in this situation it can be too bright. I have e-mailed Pentax with this request since the K10 but never had any feedback. It should be very very easy to implement.
Greetings

12-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies. I have tried the dioptre adjustment. It doesn't affect the legibility of the photo info, it only affects the image in the distance.
12-23-2010, 11:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax sells a magnifying eyecup, the O-ME53. I too have aging eyes and wear glasses. While the diopter adjustment did not help with the size of the text in the view finder, the eye piece works much better. For one thing, it protrudes enough from the back of the camera so that you can slip your glasses down while looking in the view finder without them bumping against the camera back and LCD screen. I think B&H carries it. You could buy it and try it and if it doesn't work for you can either return it to B&H or resell it here on the forum. Where the latter is concerned, they seem to sell pretty quickly whenever they are listed, so I don't think we are alone with this challenge:-) Hope this info will be of help to you. I have the K7 and it (the eye cup) has been working great for me.
12-24-2010, 12:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used the magnifying eyepiece for both my K20d and now my K5. A very good investment, I suggest.
I wear spectacles all the time, and have rather ordinary eyesight. So for the low price I would recommend the investment.

http://www.pentaximaging.com/accessories/

Last edited by Bramela; 12-24-2010 at 12:50 AM.
12-24-2010, 01:47 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
i agree with Schraubstock. the viewfinder display should have adjustable brightness. There've been lots of times in winter when i thought i was shooting at f11 when it was actually f7.1. Just can't make out the display when it's bright out and full of glare.

Yeps i wear eyeglasses too so eyecups don't work for me.