Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Strange noise from live view/movie mode

I don't know if anyone got this, but I attempted to use the movie mode this afternoon and got the nastiest scratching sound (sort of sounds like radio static) coming from the camera... I'm not sure if it's from the shutter motor or the shake reduction system but woah is it weird!

I can reproduce the sound when putting it in live view.

It just started this afternoon, I've used movie and live view a lot since I got the camera a few weeks ago and never got this sound.

In normal viewfinder photo mode it seems to work ok. I'm not too worried as the camera is going to Pentax Canada for a stained sensor after the holidays, but I was wondering if anyone else experienced this?

I'll be recording the sound and posting it on youtube next week when I get back in town (I am at my country house on dialup for a few days so youtube is out of the question).

Pat

12-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I saw "Strange noise" and I thought it's the SR system, but then you said "scratching", and so now I'm lost.
12-25-2010, 12:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Try setting your camera to shutter priority and set a 2 second exposure. Make sure that SR is enabled. Listen to the camera as you take the exposure. If the noise from the camera sounds the same as what you're getting in LV or Movie mode, then it's the SR you're hearing.

Alternatively, you can turn of SR in the Movie menu (Camera 4 menu) and try Movie mode to see if the noise goes away.

- Jason
12-31-2010, 09:42 AM   #4

Have exactly the same experience....my camera also makes this strange sounds... obviousely i thought about SR, but disableling SR in video mode AND in the menu settings did not stop it.
My remaining guess is that it could be the Aperture drive mechanisme maybe. At least i am glad to hear i am not the only one....the sound is LOUD enough to interfere with video-recording using the internal mic.
I wonder if your replacement camera has the same...?

regards

12-31-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I haven't had time to further investigate that issue... but a quick observations is that it happened with my DA55-300, but not my Tammy 17-50, and it only seems to happen when I am outdoors in the cold.

I'll be sending my cam in to Pentax Canada next week so we'll see if the new one does the same.

Pat
01-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have the same issue with the K-7. It just started yesterday after having the camera for a few months. A previous K-7 I had exhibited the same noise as well. As far as I can tell it doesn't actually affect anything (but noise on the internal mic with movies), but perhaps I should do some more testing.

I tested it with the 2" test from inferno and it's definitely the SR making the noise.
12-01-2011, 01:35 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote
Try setting your camera to shutter priority and set a 2 second exposure. Make sure that SR is enabled. Listen to the camera as you take the exposure. If the noise from the camera sounds the same as what you're getting in LV or Movie mode, then it's the SR you're hearing.

Alternatively, you can turn of SR in the Movie menu (Camera 4 menu) and try Movie mode to see if the noise goes away.

- Jason
I can hear the same humming sound in Live View / Video mode and when I set camera to shutter priority with 2 seconds exposure and fire.
However, the sound is the same when the SR is turned off and when it's on!
12-01-2011, 02:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Its the SR.

Why can I still hear it even when the SR is turned off? Because its still actually on , holding the floating sensor still

12-01-2011, 03:14 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote

...when the SR is turned off? Because its still actually on...
Who would have thought.
12-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is an old thread and the new camera Pentax sent me because of the sensor stains on my original one doesn't display that problem.

The noise wasn't the normal SR noise, it was really a loud and nasty grinding noise.

Pat