Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #16

Original Poster
After updating to 1.02 firmware the AF-problems of the Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC EX are gone!

As far as i can say after this quick check: Everything looks fine now in AF.S AF.C and LV-mode.

01-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #17
MJL
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Photopao,

I have been using the Sigma 18-250 HSM for a year now and it is great if you are not critical on close focus & IQ - soft + low contrast. I do run into P-TTL problem when using it with the K7 build in flash and Metz 58AF2. I have contacted Metz, Pentax & Sigma US about the problem and did lot of tests with help from Metz & Pentax to confirm it is the Sigma focusing feedback that screw up the P-TTL metering. Sigma, however, didn't give a real reply after the initial e-mail.
01-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
I have to agree with the Sigma not focusing. I bought a 300mm f2.8 lens from them for Pentax about a year ago now. After 3 trips to the service center, and verrrry stressful. It is finally fixed. It took a new chip just developed a few months ago. What a crock of shi_t. Never again. Also it took 9 months to get the focus issue resolved... Not to mention comming back to me with the appeture stuck and had to be sent back again for a fix. So I say Sigma still has serious problems.
features change, sigma (like tamron and any other non pentax manufacturer) reverse engineers for compatability as they don't get the info from pentax (or canon or nikon)
so as new models come out this will happen occasionally. on the plus side they offer an ten year warranty and will make it right, so i don't see it as a problem just an inconvenience.. And Sigma is making lenses now that challenge the best the OEM people have to offer at better pricing for a comparable product, with a better warranty. Really slagging them off for their poor start hasn't been valid in a long while.
I'm just glad they are still supporting Pentax, particularly when Pentax isn't making ultra telephotos, or ultra wides and has a pretty limited lens selection compared to the big guys. I just wish they'd make a Tilt shift so I could get one for my Pentax (aside from the hartelblei)
01-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #19
MJL
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sigma lens

I agree with Eddie that Sigma deserve credit for keeping up with the big guns and offer lens that suppress OEM price & performance in many occasions.

01-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma bashers, show me your 50-500 Pentax lens that can shoot Squirrels as good as my Bigma at the same price (or any price!) and I will buy it. My Sigma 17-70 HSM OS 2.8-4.0 is another superb lens for the money and is the fastest and most accurate lens I own, it beats any Pentax lens I have or have had for focus speed and accuracy.
I am grateful that Sigma and others fill the voids left by Pentax, and they are large voids indeed. As for QC, maybe you guys have never heard of SDM? Decentering?

This morning....note the lack of any PF....this lens doesn't do PF. is great even wide open at any range, and was under $1K....show me your matching Pentax?
1/40 f8 ISO 200 @ 500mm Handheld
[IMG] [/IMG]
01-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Yup.

There's a reason why they're cheaper, folks.

Cheers,
Cameron
That's a rather blinkered view. Your loss.

Skoda, Hyundai and Kia used to make crap cars .... however Hyundai Genesis was Car of the Year in the USA a couple of years back and offer a 10 year guarantee - the best in the industry, the Skoda is built over here by VW and many consider it better, and Kia now has an excellent reputation. Time moves on.

I only have one Sigma lense that I use, the 10-20 but it's a great lense ... as the 10-20 thread here proves.