Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2010, 02:53 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
There already is a tethering option for the K-5.

https://sites.google.com/a/pentax.org.pl/tomaszkos/en
i mean official, well documented, professional, stable, able to use in front of clients, 64 bits, mac-W7 compatible tethering...

12-27-2010, 02:58 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Well, Nikon and Olympus aren't, but afaik Pentax never had a "death" SLR camera.
They had some compacts, though, like the Optios S4 and MX4...
12-27-2010, 06:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Waiting for the upgrade of the K-5? Well, since it just came out and has more on it than any existing model yet released....I wouldn't hold my breath, nor put my faith in it having exactly what you want when it does come out. Sounds to me that if tethering and advanced video is your thing, you are better off with a different system than to wait around and hope for your brand to cater to you. Only 1 life man, go out and grab it!

Jason
12-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I just read that Sony bought a sensor plant. So my guess will be the K2 with a FULL FRAME sensor.

It's in Dutch, Sony investeert 1,2 miljard dollar in beeldsensorproductie | Electronics | Tweakers.net Nieuws

Or with google translate:
Google Vertaling

12-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I just read that Sony bought a sensor plant. So my guess will be the K2 with a FULL FRAME sensor.
Do the original text give more hints about FF than the translated one?

Regardless, it will be interesting to see what Pentax addresses next. Imo, the body work is perfect, the sensor excellent and totally up to date. Will it be an über AF, sophisticated flash or FF next time?

I also note that Pentax got the new 16.2Mp sensor from the start. Not waiting a year or so for Nikon having "special access" to it.
12-27-2010, 10:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax history of the last five years. Develop a big new camera with lots of new technology in it, then reuse that technology in a few subsequent cameras with new sensors, then repeat. So, if this pattern holds what I'm interested in seeing is are they going to be developing the next big thing (which I guess would be EVIL), or are they going to stick with the K-7 body and stick in new technology (sensor) for another year.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if they took the year off from new camera releases and instead worked on boosting their current camera systems with new lenses and flashes. Finally develop a tethering solution, etc. Let the K-5 drop to $1,000 or so and then bring out a new flagship in early 2012.
12-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #22
Veteran Member

It sure didnīt take too long for this to appear...
12-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Probably 1.5yrs from Nov 2010 which seems to be their usual release cycle, and probably w/ a new body design (the K10D -> K20D was mostly a sensor upgrade as is the K7 -> K5 upgrade).

Maybe a bit sooner (though I doubt it) if Nikon really releases a crazy amount of new features in the D400. The only reason I say this is Pentax was truly surprised (as was I) with the number of features in the D7000 and didn't quite know whether to adjust the price of the K-5 at the time of its release. The Pentax prosumer has always been slotted between the D80/D90 and D200/D300, and it was probably at least somewhat surprising to see the D7000 get released w/ dual SD card slots and lens microadjustments and GPS recording (features Nikon had originally viewed as "pro") while also adding focus in video mode.

I'd like to see them release more lenses as well, but the problem w/ the DSLR world is they can't just ignore the body. DSLRs are being upgraded as fast as computers because that's what they are nowadays. The older stuff is not useless...it's just that it won't be competitive with what everyone else has on the market and they'll lose new customer purchases because specs aren't competitive...

Read that w/ a big IMHO ;-)

12-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
It sure didnīt take too long for this to appear...
People were asking about the next camera after the K-5 a few days after the K-5 was announced. It's the nature of the beast, for good or ill

QuoteQuote:
Probably 1.5yrs from Nov 2010 which seems to be their usual release cycle, and probably w/ a new body design (the K10D -> K20D was mostly a sensor upgrade as is the K7 -> K5 upgrade).

Maybe a bit sooner (though I doubt it) if Nikon really releases a crazy amount of new features in the D400. The only reason I say this is Pentax was truly surprised (as was I) with the number of features in the D7000 and didn't quite know whether to adjust the price of the K-5 at the time of its release. The Pentax prosumer has always been slotted between the D80/D90 and D200/D300, and it was probably at least somewhat surprising to see the D7000 get released w/ dual SD card slots and lens microadjustments and GPS recording (features Nikon had originally viewed as "pro") while also adding focus in video mode.

I'd like to see them release more lenses as well, but the problem w/ the DSLR world is they can't just ignore the body. DSLRs are being upgraded as fast as computers because that's what they are nowadays. The older stuff is not useless...it's just that it won't be competitive with what everyone else has on the market and they'll lose new customer purchases because specs aren't competitive...
You're probably about right with your timeline. I'm wondering how Pentax will respond to what appears will be a busy Spring in the camera industry with new full frame camera releases about due and the Fuji X100 coming out in the first half of the year.
12-28-2010, 12:32 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gybp Quote
i mean official, well documented, professional, stable, able to use in front of clients, 64 bits, mac-W7 compatible tethering...
Ha! As long as you are actively looking for reasons why *not* to buy a product, why even bother? No product is perfect. If you think a product is good enough, you buy it, and you work around its shortcomings. You *always* do this. Hence my link. You're welcome, by the way.
12-28-2010, 12:49 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Looking back at Pentax and the "K", the "LX" was the pro model, so wouldn't FF digital be the "L" something? Then again every SLR (Canon, Nikon or whatever) is copying of the 1957 "Asahi Pentax", so Pentax could always rub salt in the wound and release a FF AP.

K10d - released Sept 06
K10d Grand Prix - released June 07
K20d - released Jan 08
K20d Titan - released Mar 09
K-7 - released May 09
K-7 Silver - released Mar 10
K-5 - Oct 10
K-5 ?? - Aug 11? Probably not another Super, I'm calling it here (guessing)....a K-5 SE.

The next is a L-10 FF release Nov 2011 (guessing)

Last edited by SteveM; 12-28-2010 at 12:54 AM.
12-28-2010, 01:10 AM   #27
Veteran Member

My guess is that April or May 2012 will be when the k-5 replacement will come. I wouldn't be surprised if Pentax releases an EVIL at the same time. Also if FF comes I think won't be till 2012 at the earliest.
12-28-2010, 01:57 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Blow things out of proportion much?
nah .. just a mix of reality and humor
12-28-2010, 05:28 AM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Ha! As long as you are actively looking for reasons why *not* to buy a product, why even bother? No product is perfect. If you think a product is good enough, you buy it, and you work around its shortcomings. You *always* do this. Hence my link. You're welcome, by the way.
not exactly... i want the latest pentax, wich i have hundreds of dollars in glass, to be competitive, professional, and do what i want wich is nothing extraordinary.. or is it? and i have the right to do what i want isnt it?? i just want tethering and video, and wanted it in the K5... wasnt asking too much man... relax..
12-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #30
Veteran Member

For tethering, I've been looking at the eyefi x2 cards hooked to an Android tablet via adhoc wifi (needs some android hacking unfortunately). Might be a viable alternative depending on whether you want to change settings from the computer...