Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #46
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Nice one Rupert.
I found with the K20 that I wasn't really happy with it past ISO 800, and I preferred staying at ISO640 or lower. The K5 seems to be as good at 3200 as the k20 was at 640, so there is a couple of stops and perhaps a bit more of ISO advantage. In the handheld at 1/20th scenario above, that couple of stops advantage could put you up to 1/100 second, though judging from the picture above, you are steady enough that it might not matter so much.
If nothing else, it would give you the ability to stop any slight motion from the subject.
And yes, I am trying to enable you into a K5....
Yes, 1/100 would cover me well in most situations. I am already planning on the K5, just waiting for a little while to let the glitches be gone......should not be long. As for FF, it does not suit my needs as well since I benefit from the crop factor on wildlife, and for everything else the difference in IQ, if you look at the K5 sots posted here in this Forum is minimal, at best. I have been well pleased with the K20D for my "Studio" adventures and although FF might be better, not enough to be worth the extra expense and lenses involved. I print mostly 8x10 or under and can go 12X19 with no problem.
I do recall where that Nikon Expert, can't recall his name now, posted two photos 8x10 crops from the D300 and D700 and asked to pick the best...couldn't be done past the point of pure chance, and so for many users FF is just not a necessity. DOF....another story, but not as important to some as others.

If the K5 is operating as specified, it is the camera to beat for most shooters, it hits all the right spots and even the price is now in line better to my liking.
Best Regards!

01-02-2011, 02:16 AM   #47
Inactive Account

Minäkin odotan uutta seuraajaa K-5. Täyden koon kennolla ja joku muu parempi, kun Sony.
01-02-2011, 04:15 AM   #48

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
ah.. another request for the K6/K4. please pentax please make the flash sync speed 1/250 or even 1/500, 1/160 is simply not enough these days...

tethering
manual controls with video
flash sync speed of at last 1/250
dual slot sd cards
better AF
better IS
01-02-2011, 07:00 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gybp Quote
ah.. another request for the K6/K4. please pentax please make the flash sync speed 1/250 or even 1/500, 1/160 is simply not enough these days...

The flash sync thing has been discussed to death. If you want a faster flash sync, you will likely find that a flash that can take advantage of it will be a lot more expensive than what you are buying now, and present flashes will not allow full advantage of the higher sync speed.
This is a fairly well known problem with Canon and their high sync speed cameras.

01-02-2011, 07:49 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
There are all types of shooters here....needs are different for all of them, but my "old" K20D is still better than I am.....so when I get the K5 I can't imagine looking too far ahead for another model, it seems to have more of everything that I will be upgrading for.
My youngest son is going for his fourth wife this year.......do you ever reckon that the "problems" we have might be us, and a new model will not bring the satisfaction we seek? Just asking.......
Best Regards! & Happy New Year to All Here!
+1
I too have the K20D and it is more than "good enough" for my skill level. Not that I'm not lusting after the K-5, unfortunately it is out of my price range right now. Hopefully I'll get a big enough tax return to be able to afford it w/o having to endure months of hotdogs and pb&j sandwiches.
As to #4 son, you might pass on this bit of wisdom from my brother after marriage #3 went south
"I'm not getting married again, I'll just find some woman I can learn to hate, buy her a house, buy her a car and be done with it".

NaCl(in the immortal words of Pogo - "We have met the enemy and he is us" )H2O
01-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #51
Banned

Well if we adding wishes then my biggest wish is a faster system. PRIME III or dual PRIME II with DDR3 memory and SDXC. So make it again snappy because the K-5 is kinda slowish in some points.
01-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #52

Original Poster
The flash sync thing has been discussed to death. If you want a faster flash sync, you will likely find that a flash that can take advantage of it will be a lot more expensive than what you are buying now, and present flashes will not allow full advantage of the higher sync speed.
This is a fairly well known problem with Canon and their high sync speed cameras.
almost every modern digital camera syncs at 1/250 with normal flashes...

01-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Canon syncs at 1/250th

Nikon 1/200 (except their hybrid electronic shutter ones)

Pentax 1/180

Leaf shutters at any speed

So, no, not every modern digital camera syncs at 1/250
01-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As the K5 sits, it has one issue that I think is pretty serious, in that there is no easy work around for it in a lot of instances, this being what appears to be mirror slap at shutter speeds approaching the low end of hand holdable.
If what you do with the camera involves a lot of shooting in or around the 1/15 second range, the K5 might be a frustrating camera to use.
Does this manifest as a slightly blurred image or a very blurred image?
Curious what it looks like...
01-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #55
Banned

and what to think of Leica M9 at 1/160th or Sony with the Alpha 55 also 1/160th. On the Sony Alpha 900/850 it's only 1/250th with SteadyShot turned OFF.
01-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter

You are missing the technical aspect of flash. I just checked, Nikon appears to be the only manufacturer that publishes their flash duration time (~1/880) at full power.
Canon and Pentax don't appear to, nor Metz.
However, I have read on a couple of Canon oriented forums of people getting mysterious underexposures with fill flash at 1/250. It turns out that the flash units in question have a very long burn duration of ~1/200 second.
It wouldn't surprise me at all to find that the present Pentax flash units also have long burn durations.
My Metz 60 series flash has a full output burn duration of ~1/200 second as well.
The point you missed is that it may be all well and good to ask for a faster sync speed, but you need to be aware of what your flash output duration is since you may not be able to take advantage of that sync speed.
01-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #57

have you see what people is doing with the 5D, 7D, D7000? do you know that they recorded a House episode with a 5D?
Ive got a $40 VCR that records House. I wonder if my VCR takes photos.
01-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Does this manifest as a slightly blurred image or a very blurred image?
Curious what it looks like...
OK, here are 3 pictures from an HDR series. The top image is shot at 1/40 sec, the second is a 100% of it, the bottom image is a crop of the next image in the sequence shot at 1/13 second.
All images were shot at f/11 with the 60-250 using a Feisol Tournament tripod and CB-50D head.
This combination is a bit heavy for this tripod.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 02-05-2011 at 08:44 PM.
01-02-2011, 07:13 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks Wheatfield. FWIW, the last photo looked like the photos I saw out of a K5 at a show...indoor lighting and shutter was roughly 1/15 w/ a DA15. I've gotten decent photos out of a K20D at similar shutter speeds at 17mm..
01-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #60
Veteran Member

I would like to see the future cameras have no mirror and shutter. All you have to do are to adjust the parameters till you get the composition in live-view you want, then press a remote and the camera will record that particular frame. These mechanical mirror and shutter are very much stone-age in design.