Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yvon Bourque K-5 Ebook is out:

For those interested:

Pentax K-5

Price is $15.

12-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
Forum Member

Does that K-5 e-book have a grey copyright watermark printed at a diagonal across every page? If so, that makes it hard to read. I bought Bourque's K10D book and just could not use it.

Last edited by henryk; 12-27-2010 at 10:25 AM. Reason: tweak
12-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The free K5 sample I d/l'ed did not have any watermarking.
12-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
Forum Member

We'll have to see if someone downloads the full book and sees if there is watermarking on every page.

By the way, I don't think $15 is out of line for an e-book like this. Bourque has to get paid reasonably for his labors. Trouble is all too many of us expect something for nothing, or almost nothing. It's the Computer Age.

12-27-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I downloaded the book and there are no watermarks. Some useful information is provided and I'm happy to support his work.
12-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I bought the e-book and read it last night. Better than the owner's manual, as it attempts to tell you why and how rather than just what. It strikes me that the author took his previous K-7 book and modified/tweaked it to apply to the K-5. There were numerous typos in the text which should have been edited a bit better. Still, I found it useful and free of watermarks. I was annoyed that in order to bring it up on the computer, it requires a password provided by the author every time.

There were some things omitted both here and in the owner's manual. For example, you can apply white balance settings over the live view to pick an appropriate white balance. This is a quick and easy way to make an appropriate WB. I've not seen that mentioned yet. The K-5 is not unique in this regard, but -

John
12-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
Forum Member

That's great! I'm glad Bourque saw the light and got rid of the watermarking. Passwording is much less annoying than splash watermarking so far as I am concerned. Bourque needs to protect his intellectual property. Otherwise all too many people would be copying the book for their friends, depriving him of revenue.

12-27-2010, 03:25 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

henrik,

I did omit the watermarks on my last three books, that is the K-x, K-7 and K-5. Some of the content is similar in each book, such as the Pentax History, The available accessories (with updates of what's new) How to take better pictures, etc, but each book has unique descriptions and "How to" pertaining to the camera it represents. After paying the PayPal fees and income taxes, there isn't much left for me. If I were to make a killing profit, I wouldn't write e-books for Pentax, I would write e-books for Canon and Nikon. It took me three Months, at about 3 to 4 hours a night to put this book together. I did it because there are so little litterature about Pentax cameras, and because I love photography and especially Pentax. This endeavor allows me to purchase some equipment. I started my e-book being about $1,500.00 in he hole, after purchasing the K-5. I can't write anything without having the equipment myself. If only one entry-level photographer purchase the e-book and becomes an avid photographer, I'm good with that.

I love you guys, that is Pentaxians and that is in a photographic brotherhood way..

P.S. Do email me when you find typos or other glitches, my birth language is French and it does show now and then. (Maybe more now than then) After correction, I will send the link to the revised edition. brqyvn@gmail.com

My work is not done yet, as I am now working on the Pentax K-r. I still have two to three weeks of work to do on it.

Last edited by ebooks4pentax; 12-27-2010 at 03:31 PM.
12-28-2010, 01:38 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PALADIN85020 ,

You are correct about the white balance in the live view. While in live view, you can also adjust/set the Drive Mode, Custom Image, and Flash Mode, all while viewing the results directly on the LCD monitor. I will add that to the e-book, it seems that it's a feature everyone would like to know about. Thanks for your comments.
12-28-2010, 08:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yvon,
Do you plan on alerting ebook purchasers that content has been added or substantially modified? Or do we need to periodically check back on the site to see what revision number the book is at? Either way is fine as long as it's consistent.

BTW, good job on the book. I think it's a great supplement to the owner's manual and will recommend it to friends.
12-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #11
1,000,000th Poster!

I have the K-x one and it was extremely useful to me as a newbie with my first DSLR, and remains useful as I learn more and more about both the technical side of my DSLR and as well as photography techniques.
Merci Yvon!
12-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k10dbook Quote
PALADIN85020 ,

You are correct about the white balance in the live view. While in live view, you can also adjust/set the Drive Mode, Custom Image, and Flash Mode, all while viewing the results directly on the LCD monitor. I will add that to the e-book, it seems that it's a feature everyone would like to know about. Thanks for your comments.
You're more than welcome, Yvon - You put a tremendous amount of effort into this e-book, and it shows. I'm also learning the K-5 as I go along, and appreciate useful tips.

As you make corrections/revisions, is there a mechanism to get an updated copy if one has already bought the first version?

Best regards,
John
12-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PALADIN85020

In about one Month, I am hoping that all typos will be identified and corrected, and other information requested by buyers (reasonable stuff) will be included in the e-book, except if the firmware changes. Revision notices will be posted on my blogsite and anyone wanting to receive the newest edition can email me with their date of purchase for verification and I will email them with the link for upgrading. There are no automatic way that I could do that, otherwise everybody would ask for the newest edition even if they never purchase the e-book.
12-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
I bought the e-book and read it last night. Better than the owner's manual, as it attempts to tell you why and how rather than just what. It strikes me that the author took his previous K-7 book and modified/tweaked it to apply to the K-5. There were numerous typos in the text which should have been edited a bit better. Still, I found it useful and free of watermarks. I was annoyed that in order to bring it up on the computer, it requires a password provided by the author every time.

There were some things omitted both here and in the owner's manual. For example, you can apply white balance settings over the live view to pick an appropriate white balance. This is a quick and easy way to make an appropriate WB. I've not seen that mentioned yet. The K-5 is not unique in this regard, but -

John
The password is a bit of a drag. I renamed the file with the password as part of the filename when I got the K20D book. You can't forget it that way.
12-29-2010, 10:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I just bought the K5 book..$15us is cheap for the info within the book...its shedding light on all the places that he instruction book lacks.....nice companion to a K5