Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Picture I Couldn't Take w/my K-7

Well the K-5 is so amazingly good. There are pictures possible to make that where just impossible before.

Like this: The Trumpeter with DA*55mm and iso6400.

12-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ron,

Excellent shot with great B&W tonality. I am curious if you experienced difficulty focusing your K-5 in low light, as some other users have described.

Rob
12-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
Inactive Account

great shot!
k-7 can do that,with flash mind you
12-28-2010, 06:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well no flash used, that is a big spoil for concerts. There where two others trying to make pictures and both used flash. Looks horrible on a trumpet.

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Ron,

Excellent shot with great B&W tonality. I am curious if you experienced difficulty focusing your K-5 in low light, as some other users have described.

Rob
Well I didn't know of the issue at the time. I just bought two days before this event the Spider LensCal

and at the same evening I callibrated my DA*55mm on my K-5 and went of to see the event.

Calibration was with tungsten light and the event was also. So a perfect match that evening.

That K-5 is at the time back for replacement and I bought a second K-5 but still have to calibrate my lenses on it.

12-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I don't believe you can get a photo like this with a flash. You would never get the subtle tone and shadows with a flash.
There are many places a flash is frowned upon
For me one is my daughters swim meets
I have been shooting digital since my first 3mp Sony and from that perspective the K5 is practically magical.

Very nice photo. I love taking concert photos. I've been doing it since the 70s with my trusty ME Super and 35mm positive movie film.

With the K5 my options have expanded beyond what I thought was possible just a couple years ago.
12-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well no flash used, that is a big spoil for concerts. There where two others trying to make pictures and both used flash. Looks horrible on a trumpet.

Well I didn't know of the issue at the time. I just bought two days before this event the Spider LensCal

and at the same evening I callibrated my DA*55mm on my K-5 and went of to see the event.

Calibration was with tungsten light and the event was also. So a perfect match that evening.

That K-5 is at the time back for replacement and I bought a second K-5 but still have to calibrate my lenses on it.
That device looks not unlike the LensAlign that I use. It's probably a knock-off, but perhaps with improvements.

Rob
12-28-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
That device looks not unlike the LensAlign that I use. It's probably a knock-off, but perhaps with improvements.

Rob
Well the Spyder LensCal is a cheap thing, aldo I think 59 euro for some plastic isn't cheap, but basicly it works very nice. When my second K-5 gets back I wil make a tutorial video for it. You just put everything on level and AF on the vertical plate. Then look at the messurelines to the right wich stand at a 45 degrees angle. Simple and effective.
12-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well the Spyder LensCal is a cheap thing, aldo I think 59 euro for some plastic isn't cheap, but basicly it works very nice. When my second K-5 gets back I wil make a tutorial video for it. You just put everything on level and AF on the vertical plate. Then look at the messurelines to the right wich stand at a 45 degrees angle. Simple and effective.
Hi Ron

thanks for the details on the Lenscal... I tracked it down on the net to see if available in Australia and it is... Datacolor Spyder Lenscal

Are the results successful?

cheers mate

Neil

12-28-2010, 05:39 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I have my own ghetto setup that works real well.

I use the kitchen table. I stand a yardstick on edge at a 45 degree angle at one end of the table. I make a bold black X on a white card and place it at a known point on the yardstick parallel with the camera. I pre focus the camera on the card and then remove the card and shoot the photo. From there it's just adjust and shoot another photo until the point of focus on the yardstick is equal to the spot you put the target card.

I'm sure the dedicated rig is nice but I've had very good results with this simple setup.
12-29-2010, 04:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joelovotti Quote
I have my own ghetto setup that works real well.

I use the kitchen table. I stand a yardstick on edge at a 45 degree angle at one end of the table. I make a bold black X on a white card and place it at a known point on the yardstick parallel with the camera. I pre focus the camera on the card and then remove the card and shoot the photo. From there it's just adjust and shoot another photo until the point of focus on the yardstick is equal to the spot you put the target card.

I'm sure the dedicated rig is nice but I've had very good results with this simple setup.
Well basicly it is the same, the way you check your front- and backfocus.

With my K-7 I did it with a paper and put the camera in a 45 degrees angle, but that was more of a pain to get it good.

I used this chart:
http://focustestchart.com/focus21.pdf

So to me this little thing from Spyder is a gift from heaven.
12-29-2010, 04:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe I'm missing something here. Proper calibration is dependent on having everything at the proper angles, correct? Ok, so you can get the Lenscal properly leveled, as well as the camera to deal with pitch and roll. But what about yaw? Sure you can eyeball it, but doesn't that negate it actually being "calibrated"?
12-29-2010, 06:56 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Of course even yaw matters but if you have a lens that is off and you dial it in with any of the methods above, the improvement will blow you away.
I dialed in my sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM and it now produces rediculously sharp photos. I'm sure it could be calibrated further but we would be talking nuances not big improvements.
12-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #13
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lovely B&W. I can't help but think however how it would have more character if it had some grain... ISO6400 converted to B&W is too clean ... whodathunk!!!