Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2010, 04:19 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The stains are weird to say the least..

I am very happy to hear the AF is noticeably faster than the K7 in good light... However the AF accuracy was always a problem for me in low and especially incandescent lighting.. I swear by incandescents being the problem for my previous Pentax bodies (D, DS, K10d, K100d, K7)..

I shoot with a Panasonic G2 these days but still mount a few A series Pentax lenses on it (along with voigtlander M mount) and am eager to keep up to date with what Pentax are doing, but after being burnt with the k7 I am going to be much slower to return..

12-29-2010, 07:41 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm sure the af issue will be sorted in firmware soon. The stain issue will be fixed under warranty when Sony fix their end. Otherwise quickshift and spot removal tool will fix both easily enough.

But i guess if you want to be pedantic, and cant live with some minor flaws that will be fixed eventually ... :P
12-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Sorry Kubicide I don't completely understand your point; I myself got a stained sensor, returned it for replacement and got a clean new camera in one week; as for the AF in dim tungsten light - which I didn't exprerienced by myself- there is a known walkaround by using live view autofocus, before a firmware fix this issue; as far as I know, no new camera is perfect; even the high end ones; if there are design issues, no hope; this is not the case of the K5; for these issues, the warranty and firmware fixes are here.
Regards
12-29-2010, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #19

i dont usually post on this forum but after reading what others have to say i just have to add my past frustration, as a past K-7 owner i find it absolutely ridiculous that pentax cannot address what is a very serious problem that goes back to the k10d, anyone that disputes me on this is clearly oblivious. i had severe focussing issues under tungsten light with my K-7 to the point of embarrasment. As a wedding photographer i was severely burnt when i relied on this ridiculous system to support my work. i thought pentax would have it sorted out, but i guess its too much to ask.

i made a prompt move towards canon, i dont think the system produces anywhere near the colours my k10d does but what the hey, atleast it works.

12-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Sorry Kubicide I don't completely understand your point; I myself got a stained sensor, returned it for replacement and got a clean new camera in one week; as for the AF in dim tungsten light - which I didn't exprerienced by myself- there is a known walkaround by using live view autofocus, before a firmware fix this issue; as far as I know, no new camera is perfect; even the high end ones; if there are design issues, no hope; this is not the case of the K5; for these issues, the warranty and firmware fixes are here.
Regards
Guess the point is simply that for the money there shouldn't be fundamental issues like this with sensor and AF problems. Does it make sense to have to return or replace a brand new product? Can't imagine having to do this with a new toothbrush, chocolate bar, kitchen stove or new car. Pentax likely rushed the K5 to market for business reasons. They've proven they can deliver quality product in previous generation bodies.

No camera is perfect. But many DSLRs do actually work fine out-of-the-box. My Canon Rebel was a good example with no issues for 1/3rd the cost back in 2005 (?). It was a great little travel camera that focused well regardless of light level, and had no sensor issues. (Even the ~$80 Kodak P&S's I bought for the kids for Xmas focused fine under the same conditions where the K5 would front focus!)

Like I said, I'll keep watching for Pentax to introduce fixes. The DA Ltd prime lenses are fantastic, and I look forward to having them back one day.
12-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kubicide Quote
Guess the point is simply that for the money there shouldn't be fundamental issues like this with sensor and AF problems. Does it make sense to have to return or replace a brand new product? Can't imagine having to do this with a new toothbrush, chocolate bar, kitchen stove or new car. Pentax likely rushed the K5 to market for business reasons. They've proven they can deliver quality product in previous generation bodies.

No camera is perfect. But many DSLRs do actually work fine out-of-the-box. My Canon Rebel was a good example with no issues for 1/3rd the cost back in 2005 (?). It was a great little travel camera that focused well regardless of light level, and had no sensor issues. (Even the ~$80 Kodak P&S's I bought for the kids for Xmas focused fine under the same conditions where the K5 would front focus!)

Like I said, I'll keep watching for Pentax to introduce fixes. The DA Ltd prime lenses are fantastic, and I look forward to having them back one day.
Well the fact is, I have had to return each last 3 new car I have bought; may be am I unlucky ? The first one, there was a gas leak, the second one, the fan didn't work - terrible in winter as anti-icing system didn't work, the third one, there was a (small) oil leak from the gearbox; the fact is, these cars are not bad ones (it's a french brand which is not known in USA, apart from the audience of Colombo TV serie), all of them have served me without issue for several hundred thousand miles, but there were these issues; I can admit that cause it is not a Rolls Royce car, but an industrial product, well designed, with industrial control quality made by random sampling on the assembly lines. So I must say, I'll not keep myself of enjoying the benefits of these good cars because of what I consider as a minor issue which was fixed by a single day maintenance - and during that day I had a replacement car.
I don't consider the stain sensor as a fondamental issue - without internet I would probably haven't discovered it by myself; and as you know, the issue of front focusing in tungsten dim light has an easy walkaround using live view - same focusing system as in your 80 $ P&S camera. As far as I remember, there has been software updates in previous Pentax camera to fix initial flaws- I remember the issue of hot pixels with the K20D for instance.
Today I enjoy my new K5 which match perfectly my FA*600 - see the pictures in the thread "the 300 mm plus discuss your long lenses" here :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/55946-300mm-pl...lenses-83.html
No stain issues on my copy - after exchange - but anyway I never shoot beyond f8 and never under dim light conditions so I admit to have a non perfect camera if it suits well my needs, and I must say I estimate I have had plenty of satisfactions these last days shooting with the K5 for the money I spend. That's my philosophy
Regards
12-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reading the OP's story is depressing, in particular when combined with the other sad tales we have heard regarding the K5, and the various glitches that have popped up. My sympathy to all that have suffered disappointments from the K5 to date.

It is enough to make a loyal Pentax shooter like me take a look around and consider alternatives and the ramifications of a move to another brand. So....today I did a lot of touring other sites and comparing cameras and features, along with price, not forgetting the IQ and usability of the various cameras. If you do the same, it is going to be very hard to beat a fully functioning K5.....for me, looking mostly at the D700, it just did not live up to the K5 for my particular needs, and the IQ of the D700 does not beat what I have seen from the K5 posted on this site......some may argue, but the photos do not lie.

It is imperative that Pentax gets these glitches remedied as soon as possible...or a little quicker even. All that is holding it back for many of us is to "get it right". . When they do, I'll be in line, and I am betting a lot of others will be with me.
Best Regards!
12-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Reading the OP's story is depressing, in particular when combined with the other sad tales we have heard regarding the K5, and the various glitches that have popped up. My sympathy to all that have suffered disappointments from the K5 to date.

It is enough to make a loyal Pentax shooter like me take a look around and consider alternatives and the ramifications of a move to another brand. So....today I did a lot of touring other sites and comparing cameras and features, along with price, not forgetting the IQ and usability of the various cameras. If you do the same, it is going to be very hard to beat a fully functioning K5.....for me, looking mostly at the D700, it just did not live up to the K5 for my particular needs, and the IQ of the D700 does not beat what I have seen from the K5 posted on this site......some may argue, but the photos do not lie.

It is imperative that Pentax gets these glitches remedied as soon as possible...or a little quicker even. All that is holding it back for many of us is to "get it right". . When they do, I'll be in line, and I am betting a lot of others will be with me.
Best Regards!
Rupert, I concur. I bought a K20D in DEC08 and then a K-x in OCT09 finally a K-5 last month. I have not had the sensor spots but have had slight low light focus issues. Before deciding on Pentax I did loads of research on longevity, lens compatibility, features, ergonomics, accessories and company history.

I was surprised with the K-5 issues as my experience with Pentax has been stellar. The K20D was perfect from the start, the K-x was excellent (I gave it to my Daughter and Son-in law for Chridtmas with a Tamron 70-300, DA 18-55, Lentar 400mm, and Rok 800mm mirror) until I got the K-5.

The K-5 I have is great with the exception of some low-light focus issues. It seems to forward focus with almost perpendicular linear item (a cigarette in an ashtray at 80-90 degrees angle). Other than that I have no issues whatsoever.

I feel for those of you and the OP with these problems and think that Pentax should have addressed these before production (Toyota????). However, my opinion of Pentax having a smaller portion of the market makes it more individual. It is also more versatile due to the backward compatibility and in camera SR.

My 2 cents.

12-31-2010, 06:23 AM   #24
Site Supporter

+1 !!!

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
I have nothing against Pentax or Hoya. But, in my mind I am sure Pentax knew about all the problems before it was shipped. It is the nature of business. Especially the stains. I can see the low light AF issues being something that bit them in the ass. I also learned the hard way. To wait ....... at least six months with new electronic products. I am hoping they get things straightened out. Butttttt... They are sucking hind tit in this market. And i have a feeling financing is a bit of a problem for them with the DSLR's. Also i imagine the R&D dept. is really feeling the pinch. So with my style of photography the K-X is still the winner.... Ahhhhhh.

Regretfully I am already switching to another brand... I am 58, and just do not want to wast anymore of my time with the screw ups. I would like to go out and enjoy my hobby.

kudos gary...... maybe my salient point is that when i need stress relief, i pick up my k-x and lenses and make haste to some of my favorite locales..... just an avid amateur who delights in the hunt for new photo ops and getting some fresh air...
the last thing i'd want/need to happen is having a problem with my camera...
does pentax have chrysler as their quality control advisors????
it is egregious business practice not to properly beta test a product before throwing it into the marketplace like fresh meat into a ravenous lion's cage.....
it just ain't right !! we all get ramped up, excited to the point of hysteria when we anticipate the latest and greatest from pentax, and then the next sound we hear is the deafening thud of the myriad of problems befalling the new k-5...
i was ready, drooling in fact, for the new k-5 body.... but at 54, i've learned a modicum of patience.... and glad i did...... hopefully those in the ivory towers of pentax will worked diligently and expeditiously to correct ALL the know issues...
and then all will be right in our pentax world...... stained sensors, faulty af, we'll NEVER really know what hoya/pentax was thinking by releasing the k-5 too soon... that's enough for now, i've exhausted my cerebral cortex, taking my trusty k-x out for spin.......
a happy and healthy new year to all.......... dave m
12-31-2010, 07:25 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
kudos gary...... maybe my salient point is that when i need stress relief, i pick up my k-x and lenses and make haste to some of my favorite locales..... just an avid amateur who delights in the hunt for new photo ops and getting some fresh air...
the last thing i'd want/need to happen is having a problem with my camera...
does pentax have chrysler as their quality control advisors????
it is egregious business practice not to properly beta test a product before throwing it into the marketplace like fresh meat into a ravenous lion's cage.....
it just ain't right !! we all get ramped up, excited to the point of hysteria when we anticipate the latest and greatest from pentax, and then the next sound we hear is the deafening thud of the myriad of problems befalling the new k-5...
i was ready, drooling in fact, for the new k-5 body.... but at 54, i've learned a modicum of patience.... and glad i did...... hopefully those in the ivory towers of pentax will worked diligently and expeditiously to correct ALL the know issues...
and then all will be right in our pentax world...... stained sensors, faulty af, we'll NEVER really know what hoya/pentax was thinking by releasing the k-5 too soon... that's enough for now, i've exhausted my cerebral cortex, taking my trusty k-x out for spin.......
a happy and healthy new year to all.......... dave m

I believe there are many out there like you....and me. Just waiting to see the remedies for the major reported problems before buying the K5. Not everyone is in a rush, many already have cameras that well satisfy them....for me, my K20D. Except for the Sensor Stains, and a few other minor glitches with the control wheels (rarely reported) most things should be able to be repaired with Firmware....at least I am hopeful.
If you look closely at the K5 and its specs and projected abilities, not much out there can match it, certainly not the D7000. But......if the K5 ends up "Crippled" as the K7 was by the high ISO loss over the K20D, it will be a disaster for Pentax. I think it is a do or die situation for Hoya...get it right or the confidence is gone for most loyal users. I think we are all rooting for success with the K5, I know I am. In the future, Hoya should learn to have a little more patience before rushing a product to the marketplace....this is going to be a very expensive lesson. If they had delayed delivery and told us at Photokina that they were going to take a little more time to get it as great as they did with the K20d, most all of us would have appreciated that and waited.....squealed a little maybe, but after reviewing what was in store for us, we would have still been there.

Best Regards!
01-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #26

Waiting

It sounds like the stained sensors is a pretty clear warranty fix. The low-light AF concerns me though as I am currently liquidating my full-frame Sony system to go to the more compact K5 plus pancake limiteds. But the noted issues concern me, particularly if you don't get the field-relevant AF performance that you should. Wedding photogs, ouch.

So for the moment, I think I'm going to hold on to my cash and see what firmware fixes come along...
01-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #27

After doing some research on just how wonderful the k 5 is and looking at some shots taken with it by members here, I am happy to say I'm looking forward to sticking it out with Pentax! Yes, I will wait until the sensor issue has been fixed but I feel it will be completely worth it!
01-02-2011, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kubicide Quote

Background:
I've been using a Nikon D700 since the release back in 2008.
So I ordered a K5 along with a number of DA primes and DA* zooms.

AF Issues:
Yes, it seems to be a real problem with the K5 and V1.01 firmware. The K5 has trouble autofocusing in low light levels.
Front focusing wiht k-5 is definitely a real issue; I have seen long discussions on both forums now. But it is not certain that all k-5 bodies have this problem (although one of the hypothesis is that it may be a flaw with the safox+ system). So you could possibly try another body.

I have a D700 as well, and that represents one of the best AF systems even on Nikon side. That is a very high benchmark. Having said that, a repeatable exaggerated front focus in dim light (and we are not talking about near darkness here) for the premier camera in any lineup is not acceptable. I am hoping that it is a misalignment of the safox+ system and limited to certain bodies, rather than a basic design flaw.

cheers,

Abhi
01-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #29

My boyfriend has owned the k100 the k100 super, the k10d the k20d and the k7 and now he has got me the k5, in his words the k5 is by far the best yet, the low noise levels are amazing sub 6400 iso, with a prime its unbeatable!! he doesnt care what camera you have!!, yes it has issues, but the IQ on the k7 was something to cry about, but not on the k5, the k100 and the k10d/k20d were basicly the same camera in terms of image quality. the k7 was better but still a few issues

he is very anal with IQ and if it passes his tests it must be good!!

he was able to shoot all day with my k5 and he said that he felt this model was worth the money in terms of improvements/quality/build, the lenses are cheaper for manual primes and some good middle range zooms, he loves it...

shame it's mine...hahaha

manual focusing solves a multitude of issues, and it's always sharper
11-25-2012, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #30

Original Poster
Two Years Later...

Bringing this post up from the past as there seems to be a happy ending now with the release of the K-5 IIs...

With my eyes wide open I recently ordered and received a new K-5 IIs and can say that I finally have the K-5 I wanted to have back in 2010!

My quest at the time was to find a small / compact and weather resistant DSLR that had very high image quality. And that journey continued over the past two years. The announcement of the new K-5 II was surprising and immediately caught my attention. The marketing of the new SAFOX X AF engine with -3EV response was a signal to me that surely they must have fixed the critical AF issue. So I took another chance with Pentax (it was really the tiny DA Limiteds that kept calling me to come back!). And after some fairly heavy scrutiny I'm happy to say that it appears Pentax has successfully addressed the AF issue in the new K-5 IIs, and there's no sign of sensor stains in the body I received. The AF is actually very, very impressive under extreme low light and rivals my D700.

Back in December 2010, I suspected the poor AF issue was likely related to the new (at the time) SAFOX IX+ sensor. In the marketing they referred to the new AF sensor as featuring "color-detection". Perhaps it was having issues with near-IR or some other unexpected spectral response, which would account for the constant offset front-focus distance affecting all my lenses, and that a fix by firmware would be unlikely. Still believe it was or is a plausible theory.

So, the honeymoon period is still underway and there may be more bumps along this road. But the journey seems to be coming to an end with the K-5 IIs being the small / compact DSLR solution that I have been searching for...

(Fingers crossed!)