Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great update! Hope to hear more good news from you

11-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #32

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kubicide Quote
Bringing this post up from the past as there seems to be a happy ending now with the release of the K-5 IIs...

With my eyes wide open I recently ordered and received a new K-5 IIs and can say that I finally have the K-5 I wanted to have back in 2010!

My quest at the time was to find a small / compact and weather resistant DSLR that had very high image quality. And that journey continued over the past two years. The announcement of the new K-5 II was surprising and immediately caught my attention. The marketing of the new SAFOX X AF engine with -3EV response was a signal to me that surely they must have fixed the critical AF issue. So I took another chance with Pentax (it was really the tiny DA Limiteds that kept calling me to come back!). And after some fairly heavy scrutiny I'm happy to say that it appears Pentax has successfully addressed the AF issue in the new K-5 IIs, and there's no sign of sensor stains in the body I received. The AF is actually very, very impressive under extreme low light and rivals my D700.

Back in December 2010, I suspected the poor AF issue was likely related to the new (at the time) SAFOX IX+ sensor. In the marketing they referred to the new AF sensor as featuring "color-detection". Perhaps it was having issues with near-IR or some other unexpected spectral response, which would account for the constant offset front-focus distance affecting all my lenses, and that a fix by firmware would be unlikely. Still believe it was or is a plausible theory.

So, the honeymoon period is still underway and there may be more bumps along this road. But the journey seems to be coming to an end with the K-5 IIs being the small / compact DSLR solution that I have been searching for...

(Fingers crossed!)
I agree. With the "incremental" changes that so many have complained about, the K-5IIs is a completely different camera from the original K-5.