Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2010, 06:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-5 DR and the Tungsten vs LED light debate

Wow, K-5 has proven usefull already.
At my work we use a lot of small tungsten 15W E14 lightbulbs... Hard to get nice one as most have the ugly half plastic bulbs.

A while ago I found better LED E14 bulbs but they were too cool.
I have been looking for a means to show the manufacturer the difference but I could not get a nice result with any dslr I had, the bulbs looked all too close to each other.... However before sending it back today I tried K-5...
Initial shot ( trying to get exposure on the bulbs)

wow, difference in lightbulbs already much more visible as with K-7 or K20D
and after some PP in lightroom:

almost real life but clear enough to make my point to the manufacturer.

Last edited by janneman; 12-28-2010 at 07:21 AM.
12-28-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't understand one word.

Is it the illumination color you wanted to photograph?
If it were this, it should show up in the metamerism index but it doesn't.
12-28-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I don't understand one word.
I just wanted to show the manufacturer of the LED lights that there is quite a difference in light coming from LED and "normal"bulbs we use and to ask if they have "warmer"led bulbs, and finally Pentax gave me a tool I cold use for that purpose...

And the K-5 tungsten FF debate triggered me into trying to use the K-5 for something I could not achieve with K-7 and K20D....

Last edited by janneman; 12-28-2010 at 09:20 AM.
12-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Showing the color difference just means holding the white balance constant; something even the K100D can do. Take your camera off autoWB and set it to a preset or custom WB. Then take photos of different lights. See the difference?

12-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Showing the color difference just means holding the white balance constant; something even the K100D can do. Take your camera off autoWB and set it to a preset or custom WB. Then take photos of different lights. See the difference?
Tried that but with K100D, and K20D and K-7 the bulbs would be too blown to show any real difference in color temp. I just could not get this result...
12-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Tried that but with K100D, and K20D and K-7 the bulbs would be too blown to show any real difference in color temp. I just could not get this result...
Then don't blow them out. Increase the shutter speed or close down the aperture or lower the ISO. Almost any modern camera with manual controls (and manual WB) is capable of showing the difference in bulbs.
12-28-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

ok, we are talking WB and overexposure here. Not very interesting.

I thought that at calibrated WB and exposure the difference would show. The poor metamerism index of LED I mean. But I was expecting too much. My fault...