Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-29-2010, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are the sensor stains really that bad??

I have been shooting with the pentax K-5 for a while now without any problems nor worries, until today i decided to tho the senor stain test. As it turns out my camera does have the stain on the sensor but, its so tiny it took me a while to find it. I began to wonder to myself how detrimental is this really to normal every day shooting because, you have to go to such extremes to actually see it. So i ask you are the stains really so bad that the ruin you ability to take normal every day photographs? I do understand that for the price you pay you expect a perfect problem free camera but, how often is anything is life perfect huh :ugh:? I'm a very novice photographer and i never really pixel peep to find problems in my photos. I'm happy as long as they are pleasing to the eye. So i ask you professional more seasoned photographers and novices alike, how much do the sensor stains affect you, and are you keeping or returning your camera?

12-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I think with this whole issue the re-sell value of the camera is greatly affected. Also for people who use large "f" numbers (macro photography for instance) this can really be a "no-go".

Andras
12-29-2010, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobby_navy Quote
I'm a very novice photographer and i never really pixel peep to find problems in my photos. I'm happy as long as they are pleasing to the eye.
You sir, have just voiced the simplist, yet wisest conclusion of this entire stain furor. A tip of the hat to you.

germar
12-29-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
Site Supporter

It seems the major retailers are bending over backwards to replace any K5 the customer claims is defective. Amazon cross-shipped me a new one 45 days after I bought one and paid shipping both ways. Got the new one in 2 days. I recommend you get a replacement if you have the dreaded "string of pearls" or other permanent spots least as Planedriver said, have a resale problem someday or find your new love of macro shots at f19 all have spots to be removed.

Replace it while you can.

My new one is perfect and I am very glad I swapped it out.

12-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

If I had a camera so affected, I would get it replaced on general principals.
The resale value thing is a canard, these things don't have a resale value anyway, For me the bigger deal is having the artifacts potentially visible in macro or even landscape work where I am working with very small apertures. I frequently am stopped down to f/22 or smaller, either to obtain the depth of field that I want or to obtain as slow a shutter speed as possible.
12-29-2010, 04:05 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you guys very good advices here. Ive since ordered a replacement camera through amazon, they are just amazing at customer service. Its been about 45 (15 days after their official return policy) since i received my camera, and they are sending me a new one without having to send my old one bag first. Now has anyone who received a replacement from amazon recently had any problems?

Last edited by bobby_navy; 12-29-2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something
12-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
Site Supporter

As I posted above, I too did a late return to Amazon and the new one is perfect. Even the too-tight SD-card slot is now just right. Also the lock-up problem when the battery is too low is no longer happening as it did with the first one off the assembly line. Life is good!