Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #31
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
The things we take photos of don't change though.

Things don't move faster, so why would we need more than 7fps or faster AF.
For years, maximum shutter speed on many film SLRs was 1/1000th. And maximum metering was 1000 ISO, for example, and maximum available film was at 400.

And people said the same thing back then:

"This is all I need! How could it get any better!?"

Miraculously, it did. And in 2 to 3 years time, the K-5 is going to be just another second-hand item on the junk-heap of old technology, like hundreds of cameras currently are.

You can wish it to be different, but the reality of the world says otherwise.

I never quite understood people who buy an electronics item expecting some sort of guaranteed use period out of it, when you consider how rapidly all of this technology changes. When I bought my K-x, and even if I bought another model or brand, I bought it for today's use.

To think I would still want the camera a year from now, and letting that affect my purchase decision today, makes no sense.

I can't see the future, and unless you can, I'm interested to know how you think that the K5 will keep you satisfied for 5 years.

12-30-2010, 04:54 PM   #32

Yha I need a Canon to shut up my friend :-{
12-30-2010, 05:14 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hal_a Quote
I still do that. and I'm shooting with a *ist D right now. That's a dinosaur if there ever was one.

I wish the MP race/ ISO race/ DR race would stop. Then the companies could go back to making/refreshing their lens designs.

Hal.
Back in the good old film days, if you wanted better IQ, you either bought better lenses or better film (which was constantly being improved.) Such is no longer the case, because the modern equivalent of film--a sensor--can only be purchased as part of a whole camera. Still, the output from today's digital cameras is so superior that almost no one would want to go back to shooting film. One of the big questions that digital photography enthusiasts face is: When is it good enough? Engineers and marketeers hope that the answer will always be: Never.

Rob
12-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The question is a great one. I expect to buy the next Pentax camera as it comes to the shops. A strategy I handled this far, and selling the former camera. You can hang on to your things or just leaning forward to the pictures you want or gonna make with the new camera.

There are still plenty of things to improve on the K-5. I don't worry about having it all at the moment, there still some in the future (faster AF, especcialy AF-C and tracking-AF, dual-PRIME-II processor at least to make it faster, clean noise free pictures at stellar iso settings, faster writing to faster cards, having a bigger backscreen, being smaller camera (notice the conflict?), not so heavy body, a brighter viewfinder, always take leveled pictures when I want them).

12-30-2010, 05:58 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Back in the good old film days, if you wanted better IQ, you either bought better lenses or better film (which was constantly being improved.) Such is no longer the case, because the modern equivalent of film--a sensor--can only be purchased as part of a whole camera. Still, the output from today's digital cameras is so superior that almost no one would want to go back to shooting film. One of the big questions that digital photography enthusiasts face is: When is it good enough? Engineers and marketeers hope that the answer will always be: Never.

Rob
Perhaps at some point, sensors will no longer be part of the camera, and will be interchangeable in the manner that film was before. In the beginning there were various incompatible film sizes, before a few came to dominate. Perhaps there will be a fairly universal sensor hardware and software interface, so you'll be to use a variety of sensors, much like people used different brands of film for different purposes and preferences previously. While that might seem improbable now, in the early days of computers it also seemed improbable that a single computer architecture would dominate, and enable interchangeable parts to the extent that we have today.

Paul
12-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Perhaps at some point, sensors will no longer be part of the camera, and will be interchangeable in the manner that film was before. In the beginning there were various incompatible film sizes, before a few came to dominate. Perhaps there will be a fairly universal sensor hardware and software interface, so you'll be to use a variety of sensors, much like people used different brands of film for different purposes and preferences previously. While that might seem improbable now, in the early days of computers it also seemed improbable that a single computer architecture would dominate, and enable interchangeable parts to the extent that we have today.

Paul
Funny you should say this. In the early days of DLSRs I was hoping that "Digital Backs" for 35mm bodies would be the future and not dedicated DLSRs. I doubt very much things will regress that way but the shame is that with today's technology it could be done quite well. When you think of it, strip the new Sony NEX-5 of the lens mount and you basically have a digital back.
12-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote

Paul
This seems highly doubtful. The electronics are way too complicated for simple plug and play. It would be nice, though.

Rob
12-30-2010, 11:20 PM   #38
Veteran Member

This seems highly doubtful. The electronics are way too complicated for simple plug and play. It would be nice, though.
They also make more money selling camera bodies with sensors .

12-30-2010, 11:22 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I can't see the future, and unless you can, I'm interested to know how you think that the K5 will keep you satisfied for 5 years.
For my purposes the K-5 is more than sufficient. I like street and travel photography with the occasional portrait. Unless I change my preferences I can't now image how a new K-something would entice me to fork over another 1000 euros - I'm a conservative spender and not of the gadget-loving kind.
I'm aware I could be proven wrong easily, when the next generations of dSLRs have features we are not now imaginative enough to think of.

I see your point, and you're right to a large degree. You may in fact be totally right, but that we won't know until it's 2015
12-30-2010, 11:25 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Rob
Nikon seems to have it figured out: Nikon patents interchangeable sensor for mirrorless camera | Nikon Rumors
12-31-2010, 09:06 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Interesting, but having a patent does not mean that it will ever come to fruition, or that even if it does, that it will live up to expectations.

Rob
01-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Well, I think you can buy a k-5 and not have to worry about upgrading for at least 5 years. I mean what else do you really really really really need a camera to do???
01-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
Well, I think you can buy a k-5 and not have to worry about upgrading for at least 5 years. I mean what else do you really really really really need a camera to do???
better low light..better AF...these are the only reasons I went from a K7 to a K5...if a K3 is better again. and I feel for me its worth it..then the K5 will be a second body..or on the market place
01-02-2011, 09:45 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
I get what you mean. It sometimes seems like in a race to outdo each other the camera brands have rendered themselves useless. Camera technology could have frozen 2 years ago, and very few people could make a legitimate case for needed anything more than what was out there. I think very few people on this board could make a legitimate for needing more than the K-5, with the posible exception being manual video controls. Sure, there's a long list of things we all want, but I think most of us, including myself (and I shoot full time), would have a hard time making a case for a legitimate need beyond the capabilities of the K-5.
A "hard time"?

I shall be buying a K-5 within the week if all goes to plan.

However I could easily make the case for an improvement on the K-5. I'd love to be able to shoot in dim light/streelight or less with the apertures and shutter speeds we enjoy in bright daylight. The K-5 makes great improvements in this area but if clean ISO102400 or even 204800 was available ( and in a few years it will be ) then I bet most of us would jump at the chance. I know I would.
01-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Full-frame would make the K-3 (or whatever) a worthwhile upgrade, but I don't think that's in Pentax's gameplan - 645D takes care of the high end.