Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Just looked up the TW-282.

It appears to use the same 3-pole 2.5mm plug as the RF-602, so how can it do all those extra functions?

Surely, all it can do is operate the trigger, and the extra modes are simply set up on the camera itself, and then when you press the trigger, it just happens, no?

Why the RF-602 does not work for burst mode is bizzare, because it only needs to trigger the camera, no? Or does the camera shutter button have to be hold down for the duration of the whole burst?

fs999 - are you using the TW-282 with a K5 ? Which version did you buy? This one lists as Pentax compatible but no K5 listed.

01-01-2011, 11:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
Just looked up the TW-282.

It appears to use the same 3-pole 2.5mm plug as the RF-602, so how can it do all those extra functions?

Surely, all it can do is operate the trigger, and the extra modes are simply set up on the camera itself, and then when you press the trigger, it just happens, no?

Why the RF-602 does not work for burst mode is bizzare, because it only needs to trigger the camera, no? Or does the camera shutter button have to be hold down for the duration of the whole burst?.
The remote shutter port has 3 contacts: ground, AF and shutter. Short ground and AF, and the camera will AF (as if you half-pressed the shutter button). Short ground and shutter, and the camera will take a photo (as if you fully pressed the shutter button). All the extra functions of the TW-282, or say the JCC TM-C Multi-Function remote which I have, are due to the remotes themselves, which basically short the ground and shutter contacts in the remote shutter port at the specified time. Say you set the remote with a 15 second delay, and to fire 3 shots, with a 3 second delay between the shots. What happens is:

so at Time T0 - you press the remote, it internally counts down
At T+15 seconds - the remote shorts the ground and shutter contacts. (I'm not 100% sure, but it might actually short both the AF and shutter contacts to ground). A shot is taken. The remote internally starts a 3 second counter
T+18 seconds - the remote shorts the ground and shutter contacts. The 2nd shot is taken. The remote internally starts a 3 second counter
T+21 seconds - the remote shorts the ground and shutter contacts. The 3nd shot is taken.

All that, done with a 3-pole 2.5mm stereo plug.

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
Why the RF-602 does not work for burst mode is bizzare, because it only needs to trigger the camera, no? Or does the camera shutter button have to be hold down for the duration of the whole burst?.
For the RF-602 to work in burst mode, you have to set the camera drive mode to continuous shooting. And then the camera should fire for as long as you press down on the TX button. Let go of the TX button, and the camera should stop. Burst mode with the RF-602 works 100% with my K10D, K-7 and K-5.

Note that the JCC remote I linked to earlier isn't listed as K-5 compatible, or K-7 compatible either, but works perfectly with both of these bodies. From my experience, if a device that plugs into the remote shutter port is listed as being compatible with the Canon 350D/400D/1000D/50D, or anything that uses the 2.5mm stereo plug, then it will be compatible with the K10D, K-7 or K-5.

Last edited by pop4; 01-02-2011 at 12:02 AM.
01-02-2011, 03:38 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Many thanks pop4 for the great explanation.

Products like the JCC have been around for years, for specific Canon models, and interfacing to them via some other remote control capability. They are widely used by various researchers etc who need to take say 10000 pics 1 minute apart, unattended. I didn't know there are external trigger boxes which are generic.

However the JJC seems to have a 399-shot limitation. This is mentioned by Amazon and in the Ebay description but their above-linked website doesn't mention this.

I was thinking of using this for interval shooting e.g. for making a movie of a plant growing. However, the K5 has this feature anyway, and that one goes up to 999 shots. Perhaps the interval cannot go to 99hrs however.

Another application I have is for 1 shot every second, low-res (HD video is the final target) and about 20000 shots.

Last edited by peterh337; 01-02-2011 at 04:43 AM.
01-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #19
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for all the testing. Going to look into that over the coming weeks.

04-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Sorry to be reviving an older thread, came to this through a search and was wondering about something. Perhaps someone here more savvy in the electronics/electric area would know.

I have ordered a K5 to replace my Panasonic GH2. On the GH2, I use a wireless remote (RW 221 from eBay). The camera connector has 3 small black bands instead of 2 as pictured on the Pentax/Canon versions. Does anyone know if this would still work on the K5? Since it appears to be the same size (and polarity?) would it just work and simply ignore the extra contact?

Thanks!
04-13-2011, 12:41 AM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Responding to myself: I found this page that shows the connection is totally different (the one for the Panasonic camera uses resistors) and so that won't work.

www.doc-diy.net :: camera remote release pinout list