Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 10:27 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K5 radio remote

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have decided that a K5 is my ideal camera - if I can get a radio remote control that will work up to 30m plus away. Haynel's only work with the K7 (my camera shop tried a Haynel with the K5 today - no action at all). Aputure do one but is it any good? Is there anything else around? It seems Pentax don't make one (or its very hard to find on web). Ideally need to control focus then a burst of frames. Would be ideal if a couple of seconds delayed action could preceed this.
Thanks for any thoughts.

12-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben Searle Quote
I have decided that a K5 is my ideal camera - if I can get a radio remote control that will work up to 30m plus away. Haynel's only work with the K7 (my camera shop tried a Haynel with the K5 today - no action at all). Aputure do one but is it any good? Is there anything else around? It seems Pentax don't make one (or its very hard to find on web). Ideally need to control focus then a burst of frames. Would be ideal if a couple of seconds delayed action could preceed this.
Thanks for any thoughts.
Welcome,you and a number of us would like to have remote control of K5 but Pentax quietly removed tethering from K7 and did not include it in K5.There is some rumour it may be introduced in an upgrade to the 645D(no,not even this $10000 body has tethering capability)when and IF this happens it may be available in K5.this is the only reason I neither bought K7 or K5.
12-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I know remote control and remote trigger are different things, but can anyone recommend a remote trigger product for the K5?

I see the K5 uses what looks like a 2.5mm jack plug lead but I haven't yet found a product which specifically claims to work with the K5.

I bought a RF-602 radio flash trigger, which works perfectly with a Canon 7D (as claimed) but doesn't work with the K5 at 1/180 "X". It also works fine with the 7D as a remote trigger with the supplied Canon trigger cable, but they don't seem to do a Pentax trigger cable.

BTW, this no-name product works fine with the K5 for 1/180 flash.
12-30-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As for tethering there is this, though (K-5 is supported too, I believe). With wlan and a remote desktop software it could work for remote control.

12-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kryss Quote
Welcome,you and a number of us would like to have remote control of K5 but Pentax quietly removed tethering from K7 and did not include it in K5.There is some rumour it may be introduced in an upgrade to the 645D(no,not even this $10000 body has tethering capability)when and IF this happens it may be available in K5.this is the only reason I neither bought K7 or K5.
I'm confused.

I thought the OP was after a remote shutter release using RF. "Tethering" from what I know is a totally different animal.

As a remote shutter release, the Yongnuo 602 works with K10D and K7. It's hard to imagine it does not work with K5.

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
I know remote control and remote trigger are different things, but can anyone recommend a remote trigger product for the K5?

I see the K5 uses what looks like a 2.5mm jack plug lead but I haven't yet found a product which specifically claims to work with the K5.

I bought a RF-602 radio flash trigger, which works perfectly with a Canon 7D (as claimed) but doesn't work with the K5 at 1/180 "X". It also works fine with the 7D as a remote trigger with the supplied Canon trigger cable, but they don't seem to do a Pentax trigger cable.
The Pentax cable does exist (see photo above). I have 2 copies of the RF-602 for Pentax.

It's true that as a remote flash trigger, the RF-602 does not sync properly at 1/180 sec (black band at the bottom of the photo). But if you "half press" the button on the transmitter (you can use a piece of tape for this purpose), it will sync at 1/180 sec. You'll pay for the extra consumption of battery, however.

Last edited by SOldBear; 12-30-2010 at 02:12 PM.
12-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben Searle Quote
Haynel's only work with the K7 (my camera shop tried a Haynel with the K5 today - no action at all)
I am surprised to hear this, there should be no difference between K7 and K5 - certainly not physical-connection-wise. Are you sure they tried the same remote on both the K7 and K5?
12-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Soldbear - is that trigger cable the one with a 2.5mm mono (i.e. 2-pole) jack plug on it?

12-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Soldbear - is that trigger cable the one with a 2.5mm mono (i.e. 2-pole) jack plug on it?
It's actually stereo - 3 poles (ground, focus, and trigger). It's on the left in the photo below. On the right is the 1/8" plug of a headphone set.

12-30-2010, 04:27 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I'm confused.

It's true that as a remote flash trigger, the RF-602 does not sync properly at 1/180 sec (black band at the bottom of the photo). But if you "half press" the button on the transmitter (you can use a piece of tape for this purpose), it will sync at 1/180 sec. You'll pay for the extra consumption of battery, however.
I have the RF-602 set and they worked exactly as you described on my K-x.

BUT when mounted on my K-5 they do not work at all as a flash trigger.

I also have a Rokinon D980AFZ-PK flash unit(also sold under various different brands/names) that worked fine on my K-x. BUT when mounted on my K-5 and switched on, pressing any button on the K-5 starts the flash strobing fast for about 3-5 seconds.

Either my hotshoe is faulty or Pentax have changed something and these items are no longer compatable.

Peter
12-30-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivor K Ecks Quote
Either my hotshoe is faulty or Pentax have changed something and these items are no longer compatable.
Have you check the threads re. K5 and flash problems? There seem to be plenty going around.
12-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

To use the RF-602 as a wireless shutter, the Yongnuo trigger cable for use with Pentax cameras is the "C1" cable; if the cable works for the Canon 1000D/450D/400D/350D/300D, then it'd work for Pentax dSLRs too, since they share the same 2.5mm stereo plug.

I've used the RF-602 as a wireless shutter release for my K10D and K-7 without a problem. I'll be getting my hands on a K-5 soon, we'll see if the RF-602 will work as a wireless shutter release for that camera too.
12-31-2010, 04:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

OK, here is an RF-602 advertised as a wireless trigger for Pentax and it does show the 3-pole jack plug, but they (as all other adverts I have seen) do not mention the K5 as compatible.
01-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. I got the K5 and Haynel Giga T Pro remote and the remote connects and works (going back to my original post, the shop was busy so must have made an error in setting the remote up). All I need to do now is try to work out how to get the 7-frames burst to work by remote - it only seems to manage 1 or 2 frames / sec. Burst mode fine without remote in same light conditions etc, so Im not sure if there is something I've not set correctly or just a limitation of this particular remote?
01-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the TW-282 a wireless time control.

01-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

OK, here is an RF-602 advertised as a wireless trigger for Pentax and it does show the 3-pole jack plug, but they (as all other adverts I have seen) do not mention the K5 as compatible.
I got my K-5 today, and the RF-602 units that I have work perfectly with it as a remote shutter, as it does with my K-7 and K10D.