Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Inactive Account

View Finder defect?

Hi,

I just jumped on the Pentax bandwagon and got my camera today.

I really like the feel and build of the camera but when using the viewfinder I notice curved lines starting from the corner and working their way in.

Its not the lense it looks the same with out an attached lense. Is this normal or a defect? or do i have to clean it somehow?

I find it pretty anoying, I like using the viewfinder to take pictures and its bumming me out.

Thanks anyone for their reply.

Brandon

12-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those are normal. They become more visible the smaller your aperture is. On an F5.6 lens, they're fairly apparent.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's the focusing screen and they can actually aid you in manual focusing. When you see them And your image appears sharp, you're about as close to in focus as you are going to get, even at f1.8 .

12-30-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I guess i will learn how to use them as a tool

It just looked odd to me and I wasn't sure if it was normal or not.

Thanks again.

12-31-2010, 01:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is perfectly normal. What you are observing is the Fresnel lens etching on the focusing screen. It serves to ensure that the corners of the focusing screen is evenly bright.
12-31-2010, 04:44 AM   #6

you have sharp eyes - and would hardly call it apparent at f5.6 if i didn't just go looking for it would never have noticed even at f8 still easily overlooked
12-31-2010, 07:09 PM   #7

It's really a relif for me that those line are normal cause I've be bother by those finger prints like circle lines through my whole holiday.

But I still have other questions and hope you guys can help me!
First is that I've notice my k-5 viewfinder is not as bright as the one on my previous K100 or maybe I should say the viewfinder on my k-5 looks a bit more yellowish than the K100.
Second is that other than the circle lines on my k-5 viewfinder there are also some really fine tiny black particles spreading evenly all over the whole viewfinder. I don't think they are dust, cause they are alot smaller, but they've made the whole screen like matt finish and not very clear.Seeing through the viewfinder feels like seeing through some sort of fog.

Other than these two things, the K-5 is really a good camera. And I hope someone can solve my problem, thanks! Also Happy new year to everyone!

Last edited by seigui; 01-06-2011 at 03:39 PM.