Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Front e-deal problem

I think others have commented on this issue, but I cannot find the thread right now.
I tend to be an early adopter and bought my K5 from B&H near the end of October. Very happy with the camera. No issues. No stains. No e-dial problems. Then this past week on a short trip the front e-dial started to behave very erratically. I generally shoot on a tripod with 2 sec delay in M mode, set a baseline exposure with the Green button, check exposure with Digital Preview and set the time and aperture that I want with the e-dials. The rear e-dial works fine to set aperture but the front e-dial is very weird. I can eventually get to the time value I want but it takes lots of rolling of the dial. I've tried slow turning, fast turning. Nothing is consistent. I guess it will have to go to Pentax for repair or replacement. Are there others with similar issues?
Tom

12-31-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

One of them was my thread here

Apparently it's user error but mine has gone back anyway due to sensor staining (which is probably my fault as well)
12-31-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Mike,
Thanks for the reply and the link.
Doubt in my case if it's user error, since I've used the camera w/o problems for nearly 2 months.
Tom
12-31-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaiChiTom Quote
Mike,
Thanks for the reply and the link.
Doubt in my case if it's user error, since I've used the camera w/o problems for nearly 2 months.
Tom

It wasn't user error on my part either, the poster that suggested it just wasn't worth the effort of a reply if I'm honest.

12-31-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is a quick DIY fix for this problem: keep turning the dial left and right for 2-3min, the problem will go away. Try it and see if I'm right

Happy New Year!
12-31-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have been doing a little messing about in the living room trying to understand my K5's front e-dial dilemma. Seems that if I turn the wheel very slowly, i.e. one 1000, two 1000, three 1000 click, one 1000, two 1000, three 1000 click, I can get where I want to be in terms of time for exposure. This slows things down a lot which is not necessarily a bad thing if I'm shooting landscapes and similar.
Anyone have an explanation? Or a similar problem?
Tom
12-31-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Frank,
You're right! Seems to work much, much better after twisting the front e-dial back and forth for a couple minutes. I'll turn the camera off and let it rest a few minutes and see if the fix is still working.
Thanks,
Tom

12-31-2010, 05:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
There is a quick DIY fix for this problem: keep turning the dial left and right for 2-3min, the problem will go away. Try it and see if I'm right

Happy New Year!
It corrected mine for the time I was using it but went back to being flakey next day after a period of non use.
12-31-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Frank,
Seems to be working fine right now after some "cool down" time. I'll try it again tomorrow.
Thanks, Frank.
Tom
01-01-2011, 04:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TaiChiTom Quote
Frank,
Seems to be working fine right now after some "cool down" time. I'll try it again tomorrow.
Thanks, Frank.
Tom
No prob. It's a tip I got from our local Pentax service guy
01-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I've had that problem with my K-7. It was caused by a defective e-dial control board. The front e-dial would bring the shutter speed up to 1/8000 of a sec in two to three clicks, but wouldn't allow me to take it down below 1/4000 sec. If I switched the shutter control to the rear e-dial, everything worked fine. Using the front e-dial to control the diaphragm switched the problem to the diaphragm, so I knew it was an electronic problem, not a mechanical one.
01-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I have on occasion, experienced this problem on my K20D. It is frustrating when it happens, but is rare. Not being scientific, I can't nail down any particular set of circumstances where it happens , but it does happen infrequently.
Regards
01-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I see this happen from time to time when there isn't enough ambient light in P or one of the priority modes.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I have on occasion, experienced this problem on my K20D. It is frustrating when it happens, but is rare. Not being scientific, I can't nail down any particular set of circumstances where it happens , but it does happen infrequently.
Regards
01-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Frank's suggestion of rotating the e-dial back and forth for 2-3 minutes seems to have worked in my case. The e-dial is working perfectly now.
Tom
03-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am still experiencing problems with the front e-dial on my K5. In M mode which I shoot in 95% of the time it requires a lot of swearing and rolling back and forth of the front e-dial to get shutter speed where I need it. Are others having this problem? I am thinking of contacting Pentax Service to send it in but I'm reluctant to be without the camera for who-knows-how-many-weeks.