Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kdre Quote
I did not include this statement, because I was (and still am) not sure if this was still an information from Pentax, Germany or if user 'tzcobretti' got this information from another source.

In addition, user "Arkos" from the german DSLR forum got information that Amazon´s sale pause is related to technical problems.
tzcobretti later explained that the source was the same.

01-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
tzcobretti later explained that the source was the same.
He did not explicitly say it. He changed his posting to make the statement about amazon clearer [1]:

"Die Aussetzung des K-5 Verkaufs durch Amazon ist nach bisher vorliegenden Erkenntnissen von Pentax HH KEINE Aussetzung aufgrund technischer Probleme, die Ware ab KW 50/2010 ist frei von den o.a. Mängeln."

which translates roughly as:

"Amazons sales pause is, according to current available information/insight of Pentax Germany, not because of technical problems..."

My interpretation:
For me this sounds more like "We think it is not because of technical problems, but we are not 100% sure". Together with Arkos´ information directly from Amazon this makes more sense [2]. They told him that it is because of technical reasons.

I believe too many customers sent their cameras back to Amazon and Amazon stopped selling the cameras to investigate the reasons. Because each returned camera means a loss of money for them (I guess 200-300 euros per returned camera).

Furthermore, I think (read: I don´t know it for sure) that Amazon gets their cameras directly from france and that is why I don´t think that Amazon starts talking to Pentax Germany because of possible problems/too many customer returns. If this is true, this would support my interpretation that Pentax Germany does not really know what is going on with Amazon.

[1] DigitalFotoNetz.de :: Thema anzeigen - Stellungnahme von Pentax zur Problematik K-5 Sensorschmutz
[2] DSLR-Forum - Einzelnen Beitrag anzeigen - Sensorflecken K5
01-05-2011, 04:05 AM   #33
Pentaxian

I'm quite certain it's not about technical issues, but most likely packaging issues (maybe putting a French manual instead of a German one?). They are still selling the kits, don't they? and I doubt the stains are selectively appearing on body-only packages.
Besides, "Customers have informed us that the article is different from the description on the website." it's not the same thing as "Product was recalled for technical issues"
01-05-2011, 04:17 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm quite certain it's not about technical issues, but most likely packaging issues (maybe putting a French manual instead of a German one?). They are still selling the kits, don't they? and I doubt the stains are selectively appearing on body-only packages.
Besides, "Customers have informed us that the article is different from the description on the website." it's not the same thing as "Product was recalled for technical issues"
No, they are not; only through third-party resellers (Marketplace). Same as they do with the body only SKU but without warning though.

01-05-2011, 05:09 AM   #35
Veteran Member

He did not explicitly say it. He changed his posting to make the statement about amazon clearer [1]:

"Die Aussetzung des K-5 Verkaufs durch Amazon ist nach bisher vorliegenden Erkenntnissen von Pentax HH KEINE Aussetzung aufgrund technischer Probleme, die Ware ab KW 50/2010 ist frei von den o.a. Mängeln."

which translates roughly as:

"Amazons sales pause is, according to current available information/insight of Pentax Germany, not because of technical problems..."
I think that all information available is now copied over here. Thanks.

I would translate the bold part by "According to current knowledge". It means that they do have knowledge but that the matter is still under investigation.

As to whom Amazon would speak ...

The European HQ moved from Hamburg to Paris, the central warehouse delivering to Amazon is in Brussels. All three sites are closely entangled. They share a common knowledge. It's like one location for practical matters. Some non German employees actually moved from Hamburg to Paris. The point is that Hamburg has the one and only manager who actually isn't afraid to share information with the forum public.
01-06-2011, 12:48 AM   #36

Hi,
Can i take this statement from Pentax as true?
Can someone verify this for me?
Also: Assuming this to be true, how do i check the production date...take a picture and look at the exif data which will contain the production date...correct?
01-06-2011, 01:59 AM   #37
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
The more I think about it the more certain I am that Pentax will never publish anything "officially" like a recall campaign. If they do the rush will be immense. Up to 100.000 cameras may be affected. Let sleeping dogs lie. Those that come forward will get a replacement but that's about it.
Dear Pentax Customer,

We are thrilled you gave us boatloads of money to purchase our flagship product for use in your professional photography business. Unfortunately, there's probably a serious defect with the product. Since you might not notice until it's too late, we've decided not to tell you about it and let you find out the hard way, even if it negatively affects your business.

In the unlikely event that you do learn of this defect, perhaps after wasting money trying to resolve the issue yourself with a professional cleaning, we'll be happy to replace your camera at our leisure. You may be without your equipment for weeks. For this privilege, we expect you to spend yet more money sending the defective unit back to us. The more money you spend on shipping, the faster (or not) you may receive your replacement unit. You may feel free to call our service department to find out the status of this replacement, since we'll make no effort to keep you informed ourselves.

This is our pledge to you, the Pentax Professional, for being a loyal customer. We assure you that we feel sad about:
  • your lost productivity
  • your wasted money
  • your aggravation and disappointment
Thank You,
The Pentax Team

(aw yeah, now I feel like royalty)

01-06-2011, 02:41 AM   #38

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Without checking exif I'd be guessing that the 3rd and 4th digits of the serial number would relate to the production week.

So serial numbers beginning with 3842xxxx would be Week 42.

This could all be wrong too

And after a quick look at the Serial database I can confirm it is all wrong.,

bazz.
01-06-2011, 02:51 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sir_bazz Quote
Without checking exif I'd be guessing that the 3rd and 4th digits of the serial number would relate to the production week.

So serial numbers beginning with 3842xxxx would be Week 42.

This could all be wrong too

And after a quick look at the Serial database I can confirm it is all wrong.,

bazz.

LMAO...great stuff Bazza.....
01-06-2011, 06:22 AM   #40

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by anurag agnihotri Quote
Hi,
Can i take this statement from Pentax as true?
Can someone verify this for me?
Also: Assuming this to be true, how do i check the production date...take a picture and look at the exif data which will contain the production date...correct?
It is not about the production date, it is about stains. If you dont have stains then the production date doesnt matter. So, just check, if you have the famous string of pearls. If you dont: Be happy. If you have: Contact your friendly pentax service partner.

The production date just gives one a hint that the camera *could be* possibly affected. But not all cameras before calendar week 50 are affected. So, the date is not important.

Check your sensor for stains and you will know for sure (and dont check it only once because I read about a few cases where the string of pearls developed over time).

Last edited by kdre; 01-06-2011 at 06:28 AM.
01-06-2011, 06:31 AM   #41
Veteran Member

It is not about the production date, it is about stains. If you dont have stains then the production date doesnt matter. (…)
Unfortunately it does matter. A few posts above I have shown evidence that new stains can appear.
01-06-2011, 06:38 AM   #42

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PhilippeG Quote
Unfortunately it does matter. A few posts above I have shown evidence that new stains can appear.
Yes and I wrote this in my post above yours:

QuoteQuote:
Check your sensor for stains and you will know for sure (and dont check it only once because I read about a few cases where the string of pearls developed over time).

But just the plain fact that a camera was produced before week 50 does not neccessarily mean that it will develop stains. And a camera without stains will not be exchanged. So, the only reliable proof that you have an affected camera are stains on the sensor.
01-06-2011, 07:10 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
Dear Pentax Customer,

<junk post snipped>

(aw yeah, now I feel like royalty)
A little bitter are we? You do realize that professionals have back up equipment on the offchance that something bad happens?

Here's a question for you: Do you (as a professional) deliberately sell a defective product on the theory that no one will notice?
I suppose you must, it takes one to know one after all.
01-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
In the unlikely event that you do learn of this defect, perhaps after wasting money trying to resolve the issue yourself with a professional cleaning, we'll be happy to replace your camera at our leisure. You may be without your equipment for weeks. For this privilege, we expect you to spend yet more money sending the defective unit back to us. The more money you spend on shipping, the faster (or not) you may receive your replacement unit. You may feel free to call our service department to find out the status of this replacement, since we'll make no effort to keep you informed ourselves.
I didn't have to pay a cent for shipping, as Pentax paid for it. And on top of that they're eating a huge loss now replacing all the defective units with new ones (as opposed to waiting to refurbish what you send in, likely with a much more lengthy delay).

What more do you expect? Do you want them to pay you now?

They likely aren't going to announce anything publicly because people will all panic and claim every single speck of dust is a stain, even if their camera is perfectly fine (as we've seen happening here already). They'll send it in without bothering to verify, and Pentax will take even more losses. If you notice it, then send it in. If you never notice it, then it's obviously not affecting your photos or not there at all. If it's ever going to be a problem for you, chances are you will find out about it long before your warranty expires.

Last edited by Cannikin; 01-06-2011 at 07:41 AM.
01-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Clearly Pentax/Hoya did not deliberately release a defective product. As long as they take care of their customers (they always have me), then it isn't the end of the world. At the same time, I am holding off on buying a K5 till spring time (till tax refund comes back).