01-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Thanks, Usuga, that was quick U got 1 rep from me

01-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I checked for front focus.
Focussing was on the right bottle.
The left one is about 10 cm further in front.

FA50, EV 1.6

And here is a test for indirect flash.
Here, too, no change.

direct flash:

indirect flash:
01-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Anyone using 1.02 have an SDXC card? I'm wondering if this is the revision that adds support for the new SD standard. I'm on 1.02, but unfortunately don't own any SDXC cards. I'd like to confirm support before purchasing any cards.

- Jason
01-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote
Anyone using 1.02 have an SDXC card? I'm wondering if this is the revision that adds support for the new SD standard. I'm on 1.02, but unfortunately don't own any SDXC cards. I'd like to confirm support before purchasing any cards.

- Jason
Don't have any either so i can't test.

01-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #35
Veteran Member

We should wait , until they announced what is changing
01-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Firmware 1.02 already removed from the network.
01-04-2011, 05:00 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it makes me wonder if this firmware was a deliberate leak..just to keep the punters happy, that something is in the wind? ...sounds a bit conspiracy theory I know

01-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #38
jjw3

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
it makes me wonder if this firmware was a deliberate leak..just to keep the punters happy, that something is in the wind? ...sounds a bit conspiracy theory I know
I totally don't get why Pentax doesn't just publish a message on what they're working at? How difficult can it be to just inform your customers? I think doing this could potentially even draw in more customers.

"first priority is fixing this, this and this within one month"
"after that we will look into additional function like manual video and, and, etc. within 2 to 4 months"
etc. etc.

Are they stupid? they must read message boards like this and understand peoples frustrations and questions. Where is that new marketing manager?
A typical Japanese-thing not to tell what your working on till it's there? Or do you think they don't know themselves what they will be working on.

I'm wondering if there is anyone here who actually knows how many employees Pentax has for the development of new firmware. I always find these things to go incredibly slow. I would say that a pro software engineer should be able to program something like for example manual video within a week time, if not a day.
01-04-2011, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jjw3 Quote

"first priority is fixing this, this and this within one month"
"after that we will look into additional function like manual video and, and, etc. within 2 to 4 months"
etc. etc.

Are they stupid?

The problem with publicly publishing an itinerary as you describe is sometimes an engineering issue proves too difficult to stay on projected deadlines. Sometimes there are a couple of workarounds that can be implemented, but it takes time to code and then TEST the fixes for the best one. Engineers don't like having the public looking at their watches and tapping their feet while they work, which is why we almost never have hard delivery dates until the fix is gold and ready to be published.

If the Marketing guy stands up and says "one month to fix backfocus" and they miss their promised deadline, they'd just anger MORE people than if they said nothing until they're ready to give it to us.

I know that doesn't give us a warm fuzzy, but that's how these things often work.
01-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
The problem with publicly publishing an itinerary as you describe is sometimes an engineering issue proves too difficult to stay on projected deadlines. Sometimes there are a couple of workarounds that can be implemented, but it takes time to code and then TEST the fixes for the best one. Engineers don't like having the public looking at their watches and tapping their feet while they work, which is why we almost never have hard delivery dates until the fix is gold and ready to be published.

If the Marketing guy stands up and says "one month to fix backfocus" and they miss their promised deadline, they'd just anger MORE people than if they said nothing until they're ready to give it to us.

I know that doesn't give us a warm fuzzy, but that's how these things often work.
Anyone who remembers the Pentax Lens Road map of a few years ago will also remember how badly burned Pentax was by the delays with the 60-250 zoom.
Little surprise if now they are less than communicative.
01-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Id be happy with a
" we know its a issue, and are working on a fix, so be cool" type of approach..as my window for returning the K5 is getting smaller and smaller

so do I keep or get shot and bide my time to see if a fix comes..if it does then buy a new one??
01-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Id be happy with a
" we know its a issue, and are working on a fix, so be cool" type of approach..as my window for returning the K5 is getting smaller and smaller

so do I keep or get shot and bide my time to see if a fix comes..if it does then buy a new one??
Similar position here. I have a couple weeks before I have to make a "final" choice. I already know that my current K-5 is going back (for sensor stains), but I am considering holding off on getting another K-5 (which would be my third) until things get sorted out with some of the remaining "issues". It's a bit frustrating because overall I absolutely love the K-5 and have a ton of great glass to go with it. Kind of makes me wish I didn't get rid of my K-x and K-7 right away during my initial excitement when I first bought the K-5. Live and learn
01-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #43

You bought local didn't you, tom? The manager at CRK Perth is very helpful and I wouldn't be suprised if he did a direct swap (under warranty) - he did, for my K-r the other week.
01-04-2011, 11:27 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noons Quote
You bought local didn't you, tom? The manager at CRK Perth is very helpful and I wouldn't be suprised if he did a direct swap (under warranty) - he did, for my K-r the other week.
Yep that correct ,
It's almost worth staying with pentax just to deal with people like crk , they have been real helpful thus far ,

I rang em today and the young bloke I spoke to didnt know about this issue. So I pointed him here , decent sort of fella that was confident that a bunch of Japanese fellas in white coats would be runing round trying to fix this...

I don't wanna leave pentax, I bloody love using this little camera it's so much better than anything else in this price bracket ,

I'll see what the next week brings after crk see what's going down here
01-05-2011, 03:52 AM   #45

Sorry for the double post, but how do i check what firmware version my camera has?

Thanks