Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2011, 06:01 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bsimon Quote
Is the O-ICK1 safe? Should I bring it to a camera shop to have them clean it? I'm a bit afraid actually touching the sensor myself for fear of making it worse and/or voiding my warranty...
In my experience it's quite safe as long as you follow the instructions. The key to it, as I note in my article, is a light touch and making sure the wand stays clean. If the dust is fused on somehow, you'll be going for a wet clean. That, however, is a last resort as far as I'm concerned. You can have a shop do it if you like but most charge a pretty hefty sum. On the upside of that I guess, if THEY screw it up, it's on them to fix it.

01-04-2011, 06:17 AM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Oh, the Pentax O-ICK1 might be worth a try before going for a wet clean.

The best cleaning device on the market by far!!!!! It's what
the shops use and if you ever watched them it's way too easy
and way better than any wet clean system.

There is a video somewhere of a Leica technician using one of these at the
end of a production line on one of their medium format digital cameras.
I think it was a Leica S1.

If my sensor can't clean itself then I use my "sticky stick".

Last edited by PinarelloOnly; 01-04-2011 at 06:29 AM.
01-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is the O-ICK1 safe? Should I bring it to a camera shop to have them clean it? I'm a bit afraid actually touching the sensor myself for fear of making it worse and/or voiding my warranty...
I suppose the job can be botched with that too. If used carefully per instructions there shouldn't really be much danger of that IMO. Also, it is a genuine Pentax - as opposed to a 3rd party - product made for the purpose.
01-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Attached is a crop of the spot.
OK, it's dust 99.9% A bit harder blow or a cleaning kit should get rid of it. BTW, protective glass filter over sensor is about as sensitive as front lens element, so although careful handling is always recommended it is not that easy to damage it.

01-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I ordered the Pentax cleaning kit... Does anyone know what the spot on the K-7 image I attached above is? I went back and checked that camera too. It seems too dark to be dust and I can't remove it with the blower. Thanks!!
01-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #21
Inactive Account

They appear to be dust as well. Be aware that the O-ICK1 is the second to last defense against dust. Try the non touch methods first. If the O-ICK1 cannot get it after that (if required), time for a Wet clean. That said, I've rarely (read 2 times) actually had to resort to a wet clean, in 4 years and 6 or 7 cameras.