Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2011, 03:02 AM   #1

Remote flash trigger problem

I just bought the K5. Previously I was shooting with the K10- so wow! A totally different shooting experience!

I need to use my new camera mostly for in studio work with speed lights.

When shooting with speed lights all settings are manual and here is the problem...

The K5 (after about 10 min of shooting fine) stops triggering the flashes in manual mode! It may or may not start triggering the flashes again- this is totally random!

I can not be busy with a client and half way through the shoot nothing works!

Any help would be appreciated.

Further information:

* I use an Elinchrom Skyport transmitter with receivers.
* I have charged everything and bought new batteries for the transmitter.
* I have swapped the transmitter for a flash- and the flash will fire without a problem.
* I placed the Elinchrom transmitter on my K10 and the lighting system worked perfectly.
* I have tried using all the possible flash drive modes- no luck.
* I have jiggled the transmitter - no luck.
* If I press the test button on the transmitter the lights fire perfectly.

Please, please, please- all suggestions are welcome!

The bottom line is I need a totally reliable system for my photography work- and right now this capricious hot shoe has me way on edge!

01-04-2011, 05:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K5 has PC sync. Try that.

Nevertheless the hot shoe should work just like on K10D. Send camera for repair.
01-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see you are shooting in manual - did you by chance change the shutter to faster than 1/180 of a second - if you did, that would explain the flash not firing. (maybe check the EXIF data of the failed pictures)

I would also check that the transmitter is fully seated on the hotshoe - maybe take it off and put it back on again.

Hope you get it going