Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #1

K5 with DA 18-135

Have had my K5 and 18-135 for a little over a week. I shoot in raw (dng) and PP in LR3. I'm mostly pleased with the results. Focusing is a little tricky but page 75 in the manual has a list of "gotchas". When I paid attention to that, things vastly improved!

Here are some samples of my efforts including one low light landscape. That one is a little short on fine detail (the focusing problem?) but the others are fine.

Attached Images

01-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #2

What do you mean by gotchas?
01-05-2011, 05:09 AM   #3

Original Poster
"gotchas" as in ha ha, you can't do that. For example: low contrast subjects, subjects that do not reflect much light, fast moving objects, strong back lighting, repeating vertical or horizontal line patterns, multiple subjects in the foreground or background (this list is all from the manual). What I have started doing is finding something within the subject area, focusing on that and pressing the shutter half way down to lock the focus then recomposing. I hope they get a fix out soon so we can go back to normal composing and shooting.
01-05-2011, 05:16 AM   #4

Those are all just the normal caveats of autofocus. It does indeed help to use a single focus point, then focus and recompose.

01-05-2011, 05:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mabelsound Quote
Those are all just the normal caveats of autofocus. It does indeed help to use a single focus point, then focus and recompose.
In my past experience with both Nikon and Canon neither were anywhere near as sensitive as the Pentax is. I think the K5 needs some sort of AF fix so it can do a better job of handling what are pretty common conditions.