Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2011, 05:29 AM   #1

How AE affects burst rate?

Just got my replacement body (stain issue on the first), and while running it through it's paces, came across something I hadn't noticed while using the previous body, and just wanted to double check here..

I can't seem to get burst rate of 7fps unless I lock AE (or full manual, of course), and I definitely did not have to lock AE on my previous body. I know features like lens correction and D-Range affect burst rate when on, but I made sure these are off. The exif shows camera came with firmware 1.01 already loaded.

It is possible that I had the "AE lock with AF" menu option turned on on the last body, but I don't recall doing this, nor would I have found that desirable. Can somebody comment or do a burst test with AE not locked and tell me what they get? Thanks..

01-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by syoon1970 Quote
I can't seem to get burst rate of 7fps unless I lock AE (or full manual, of course), and I definitely did not have to lock AE on my previous body.
What was your previous body? My K-7 was similar, manual exposure would help to get a faster rate, especially in low-light. In daylight it was not as obvious. As for bodies before K-7 they were probably not fast enough to notice the difference anyway.
01-05-2011, 06:28 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

What were your shutter speeds
01-05-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi syoon1970,

It's possible that you had the old body set to "speed" priority for AF C and the new one is set for "focus priority". The former will try to fire the shutter regardless of focus lock, and the later will wait for some focus confirmation before allowing the shutter to fire. This is new to the K-5.

Another possibility, though unlikely, is that you have this body set for continuous low instead of continuous high.

Something that effected the K-7's frame rate was using multipoint focusing as opposed to center point or select point. Any Auto mode that uses processing power has this potential. I haven't had the occasion to test this with the K-5 yet.

Scott

01-06-2011, 02:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I think it may also depend on the light conditions. In our very dim lit bedroom metering before each shot in the burst really slowed down continuous shooting to approx. 3fps, with AE lock it was back to 7 fps. Outdoors with lots of light there was no problem getting 7 fps without AE lock.

If getting high frame rate is important then I lock AE, I do small bursts so the light doesn't change between frames anyways, therefore AE lock makes sense.
01-07-2011, 01:57 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
I think it may also depend on the light conditions. In our very dim lit bedroom metering before each shot in the burst really slowed down continuous shooting to approx. 3fps, with AE lock it was back to 7 fps. Outdoors with lots of light there was no problem getting 7 fps without AE lock.

If getting high frame rate is important then I lock AE, I do small bursts so the light doesn't change between frames anyways, therefore AE lock makes sense.
Thanks everyone for your input. I considered those mentioned issues such as shutter speed, etc. However, ManuH and simico's post explains what I was experiencing. What I described in my original post was indeed indoors and during the evening. I guess I never tried burst shooting under dim light, and was unfamiliar with this factor. I guess I should have thought about the fact that metering would take longer in dim light..

Last edited by syoon1970; 01-07-2011 at 02:16 AM.