Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
and here I thought you were talking about the K-5. The one with 5 user modes that can be setup and named for anything you want?
Yep, and I have each of the user modes programmed, any one of which might not be appropriate for a shot I want to take quickly. I don't want to twist dials, push buttons or menu-dive for a spur of the moment quick shot in an unknown circumstance. If I have time, I'll tailor a shot using any and all options available on the camera. When I want to just pick up the camera and shoot a target of opportunity, I'll go ahead and use the green mode, and PP the RAW file to fine tune it later. That doesn't make me stupid, unknowing, unschooled or incompetent. It just makes me fast so I can get a shot when fiddling around for any length of time would make me lose it. I love and use ALL the features of the K-5, and one of them is the green mode. That's why it's available. The fact that you consider it "useless and redundant" has zero bearing on whether or not I choose to use it from time to time. OK?

01-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
The fact that you consider it "useless and redundant" has zero bearing on whether or not I choose to use it from time to time.
But it has 100% bearing on why a mode that has no real RAW file support wouldn't give you the RAW file format you're hoping for when you try and kludge one out anyways. The manual clearly states that Green mode is only intended for JPG output.
01-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Granted, you can program the P mode to do anything you want. I have mine programmed for specific purposes in daylight; the green mode is for anything that comes up in a hurry in any light. I won't belabor the point you're trying to make. I understand it. The whole point of this thread was, since PEF is the default RAW file for the green mode, how to get around it or convert it. Both options have been covered! Thanks for your input.
I'd still like to know how you are getting a raw format off the green mode.
01-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #19
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'm guessing he's using the new feature where you can pull a RAW file from the internal buffer after you've taken a JPG picture.

01-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
With the K-5, when you pull the most recent JPG picture up for review, the RAW file is actually still in the buffer. You can retrieve it by pressing the AE-L button. This saves it to your memory card. I do this on occasion when I want to PP a picture. It saves space on the memory card by doing this only after you've viewed a JPG and then deciding that you want a RAW file on a specific picture. Unfortunately, Pentax has chosen to save only in the PEF-format RAW file when a pic is taken in the green mode. As I DO use the green mode on occasion for all the reasons I discussed, I find the PEF format annoying, as Adobe Elements 7 will only recognize the DNG format RAW files. A caution is that if you turn your camera off after making a shot, the RAW file in the buffer will be lost and then cannot be saved to your memory card.

The two solutions are to use Adobe RAW converter to convert the PEF format to DNG, or use the Program mode (very similar to the green mode) if you specify the DNG format as the default for all modes other than green. The way I have Program mode set up, it is useful only in daylight; the Green mode allows the camera to take everything into account quickly and get a picture fast in any light when needed. I'm just annoyed that I have to deal with a PEF-format RAW file in this circumstance.

John
01-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I'm a programmer and I'd say that's definitely a bug rather than something they intended.

If you can find some way to report it to Pentax, I'm sure it'll go on a list somewhere and there's some small chance it could be fixed in a future firmware update.
01-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
I'm a programmer and I'd say that's definitely a bug rather than something they intended.

If you can find some way to report it to Pentax, I'm sure it'll go on a list somewhere and there's some small chance it could be fixed in a future firmware update.
Maybe Adam (our moderator) can help in this regard, but I suspect something else is at work here. I believe Pentax just wants to perpetuate the PEF RAW format by taking the choice away from you in the easy green mode. Almost everyone uses DNG these days for compatability with Photoshop.

John

01-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I seriously doubt it. If they wanted to perpetuate their own raw format they'd do what other camera manufacturers do and not offer DNG.

What advantage does their own format give them, really? I suspect the only reason they keep it is internal politics.
01-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #24
Banned

nah, I definitely think it's a bug.
01-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

With the K-5, when you pull the most recent JPG picture up for review, the RAW file is actually still in the buffer. You can retrieve it by pressing the AE-L button. This saves it to your memory card. I do this on occasion when I want to PP a picture. It saves space on the memory card by doing this only after you've viewed a JPG and then deciding that you want a RAW file on a specific picture. Unfortunately, Pentax has chosen to save only in the PEF-format RAW file when a pic is taken in the green mode. As I DO use the green mode on occasion for all the reasons I discussed, I find the PEF format annoying, as Adobe Elements 7 will only recognize the DNG format RAW files. A caution is that if you turn your camera off after making a shot, the RAW file in the buffer will be lost and then cannot be saved to your memory card.

The two solutions are to use Adobe RAW converter to convert the PEF format to DNG, or use the Program mode (very similar to the green mode) if you specify the DNG format as the default for all modes other than green. The way I have Program mode set up, it is useful only in daylight; the Green mode allows the camera to take everything into account quickly and get a picture fast in any light when needed. I'm just annoyed that I have to deal with a PEF-format RAW file in this circumstance.

John
I vaguely knew that, but it's something I've never bothered with.
Have you considered setting up a user mode that emulates the green mode but uses P mode and DNG?
It's not as fast as twisting the mode dial to green, but going into menu hell to process the file one at a time would take away from picture making opportunities as well.
01-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #26
Banned

I already mentioned that above, and the OP went on a weird rant about how he already has all his user modes pre-setup for other more important things.