Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RAW file format selection with the K-5

With the K-5, it's possible, by menu choice, to specify the RAW file format, either PEF or DNG. I selected DNG, because that's the format usable with my Adobe Photoshop Elements 7.

Much to my annoyance, when the K-5 is set to the green (fully automatic) mode, it defaults to PEF, regardless of my specified DNG preference. Then I have to use Pentax's excessively cumbersome digital camera utility to convert the PEF file to DNG so I can work on it in Elements. I routinely leave the camera in the green mode so that camera is instantly ready to take a picture no matter what the circumstances.

All other modes respect my DNG choice. Is there any workaround on this, or can I persuade Pentax to make the green mode use DNG, if that is the conscious choice via the menu?

John

01-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was under the impression that, since the K-7, green mode always resulted in jpegs.
01-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I was under the impression that, since the K-7, green mode always resulted in jpegs.
With the K-5, when the shot is on review, you can select an option to save the most recent shot in RAW format by pressing the AE-L button. Again, when done from the green mode, it defaults to the PEF format rather than the selected DNG.
01-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Why not use Adobe's DNG Converter to produce a DNG version of the PEFon your computer, then PSE 7 will have a file it can work with. DNG Converter can be downloaded for free.

01-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
With the K-5, it's possible, by menu choice, to specify the RAW file format, either PEF or DNG. I selected DNG, because that's the format usable with my Adobe Photoshop Elements 7.

Much to my annoyance, when the K-5 is set to the green (fully automatic) mode, it defaults to PEF, regardless of my specified DNG preference. Then I have to use Pentax's excessively cumbersome digital camera utility to convert the PEF file to DNG so I can work on it in Elements. I routinely leave the camera in the green mode so that camera is instantly ready to take a picture no matter what the circumstances.

All other modes respect my DNG choice. Is there any workaround on this, or can I persuade Pentax to make the green mode use DNG, if that is the conscious choice via the menu?

John
The workaround is to use P mode.
As an aside, in green mode you shouldn't be able to generate a raw file anyway.
01-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
Banned

Photos: Gallery
That's when you convert the Jpeg into RAW with the AE-L button, standert you get Jpg only. Use P-mode and there is no problem. The Green mode is not for personal preferences but going all on automatic.
01-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Banned

Still blows my mind that people would spend a small fortune on a high-end DSLR with every feature imaginable... only to use the Green mode and have all those features locked up out of their control. Might as well buy a point-and-shoot. They make some with APS-C sensors now.

01-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hound Tooth Quote
Still blows my mind that people would spend a small fortune on a high-end DSLR with every feature imaginable... only to use the Green mode and have all those features locked up out of their control. Might as well buy a point-and-shoot. They make some with APS-C sensors now.
Hound Tooth,

I spent "a small fortune" on the K-5 to take advantage of most of its features, and I pretty well know how to use them. For what it's worth, I use the camera in many modes (including full manual) to take pro-level photos to accompany articles that I write for publication. I've been into photography, including using a 35mm Leica and darkroom processing, since 1953. However, as I explained, it's nice to have "point and shoot" capability when I grab the camera for shots of opportunity without having to fiddle with settings. Often, "perfect" is the enemy of "good enough" when time is of the essence and it doesn't blow my mind at all to use the green mode on occasion. I can then generate a RAW file and clean things up in PP if I want. That's why the green mode is there. Sometimes quick and simple is great, and the camera does a pretty good job of it. As George Patton put it, a good plan executed now beats a perfect plan executed too late...

John

Last edited by PALADIN85020; 01-06-2011 at 01:28 PM.
01-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Redhedgehog Quote
Why not use Adobe's DNG Converter to produce a DNG version of the PEFon your computer, then PSE 7 will have a file it can work with. DNG Converter can be downloaded for free.
Many thanks for the tip. That's just what I was looking for. The latest version has support for the K-5 PEF files!

John
01-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Many thanks for the tip. That's just what I was looking for. The latest version has support for the K-5 PEF files!

John
Just to make sure you know, P mode and green mode are pretty much of a muchness, and will allow DNGs straight out of the camera.
01-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Just to make sure you know, P mode and green mode are pretty much of a muchness, and will allow DNGs straight out of the camera.
Yep, P mode can do everything the Green mode does, including AWB, Auto-ISO, and all that jazz. And with a quick flick of either front or rear control dial, you'll be able to flip into Av or Tv mode on a whim without changing the mode dial itself, and return to P mode by pressing the Green button. The Green mode on the dial is useless and redundant. Its only real purpose is for passing the camera to a photography ignorant so he can take a picture of you.
01-06-2011, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep, P mode can do everything the Green mode does, including AWB, Auto-ISO, and all that jazz. And with a quick flick of either front or rear control dial, you'll be able to flip into Av or Tv mode on a whim without changing the mode dial itself, and return to P mode by pressing the Green button. The Green mode on the dial is useless and redundant. Its only real purpose is for passing the camera to a photography ignorant so he can take a picture of you.
Actually, there are some subtle differences between the green mode and the P mode. See for yourself taking some low-light natural light photos. For example, I have my ISO set at 100 as a default. In P mode, the camera will select a very slow shutter speed which will reveal hand-held shake, while in green mode, it will boost the ISO as high as 3200 and allow a hand-held shot. In daylight, this will make no practical difference, but for a quick low-light shot, the green mode is superior. Again, for quick off-the-cuff shots, green has utility, and can be fine-tuned in PP by opting for a RAW file with the AE-L button.

John
01-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #13
Banned

Actually, there are some subtle differences between the green mode and the P mode. See for yourself taking some low-light natural light photos. For example, I have my ISO set at 100 as a default. In P mode, the camera will select a very slow shutter speed which will reveal hand-held shake, while in green mode, it will boost the ISO as high as 3200 and allow a hand-held shot. In daylight, this will make no practical difference, but for a quick low-light shot, the green mode is superior. Again, for quick off-the-cuff shots, green has utility, and can be fine-tuned in PP by opting for a RAW file with the AE-L button.
That's a nice comparison of apples to horses you just made.

I said:
Yep, P mode can do everything the Green mode does, including AWB, Auto-ISO, and all that jazz.
Notice the part where I said Auto-ISO? Turn on Auto-ISO in P mode and you'll get the same result. You can even tell the camera to prioritize Auto-ISO for shutter speed if you want. That makes P mode even better than Green mode in every way.
01-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's a nice comparison of apples to horses you just made.

I said:

Notice the part where I said Auto-ISO? Turn on Auto-ISO in P mode and you'll get the same result. You can even tell the camera to prioritize Auto-ISO for shutter speed if you want. That makes P mode even better than Green mode in every way.
Granted, you can program the P mode to do anything you want. I have mine programmed for specific purposes in daylight; the green mode is for anything that comes up in a hurry in any light. I won't belabor the point you're trying to make. I understand it. The whole point of this thread was, since PEF is the default RAW file for the green mode, how to get around it or convert it. Both options have been covered! Thanks for your input.
01-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #15
Banned

and here I thought you were talking about the K-5. The one with 5 user modes that can be setup and named for anything you want?