Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That would be fine. However, my original post was not about 32KHz audio or recording to a separate audio device. It was specifically about body noise when the mirror is flipped during movie mode (not using SR) and the separate aperture ring exposure issue.

In reality, neither issue is a deal-breaker for me so I'm not going to run off, sell my gear, defect to Canon, erase all my hard drives, etc. If I can't get reliable exposure using old aperture ring lenses, I doubt Pentax will rush to place it at the top of the stack - more appropriately, I should just go out and buy new lenses and be grateful Pentax maintains any compatibility with legacy optics. The metallic, humming noise when recording audio? I don't know what the hell that is. I'll fix it in post or have my wife follow me with a boom. I've always wanted her to get more involved - it should do wonders for our marriage.

At any rate, I'm going to sign out of this thread. My impression is that it's not really a topic of much interest. Cheers.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
So there is really no problem with the K-5 sound then. Plenty good to hear people talking, wind blowing in mic, cars honking their horn, etc. And when you want high-quality sound, you connect the camera to a mixer or use a field recorder that can accept multiple mic input, right?

01-11-2011, 08:59 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
Sounds like you're eyeing the Zoom or have it already. The Zoom has gotten a boat-load of buzz and is the darling child of videophiles everywhere. But if you don't have the Zoom and don't need the XLR inputs or 4-tracks, there are much better sounding digital audio recorders out there. The Sony PCM-M10 is fantastic (and ~$230 in the US)- I used one the other day and want one. The Roland R-05 is nice, too.
I've been eyeing the Zoom...took a look at the Sony PCM-M10 and while it looks smaller and seems like it might have better sound, it seems to be missing a lot of useful features of the Zoom...e.g., the adjustable mic pattern and the phantom XLR inputs.
Just trying to figure out what's necessary for doing good video watching a bunch of Vincent LaForet's stuff...at least I ruled out the Rode stereo videomic Slowly realizing it's going to be at least a few K of accessories (fluid head, dolly, portable stabilizer, mics, different lights/softboxes, etc.) to do right...

BTW, one other thing the K-5 has that the K-7 doesn't is a virtual horizon mode that uses the SR to rotate the sensor to level it. I'm starting to suspect that this is what's causing the hum because it can't be turned off or the sensor wouldn't be level.
Does your audio hum sound exactly the same if SR is on vs. off?
01-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I've been eyeing the Zoom...took a look at the Sony PCM-M10 and while it looks smaller and seems like it might have better sound, it seems to be missing a lot of useful features of the Zoom...e.g., the adjustable mic pattern and the phantom XLR inputs.
If I were going to do it all over again I'd buy the Sony M10. Then if I needed to expand with XLR, I would just get a preamp.

QuoteQuote:
Just trying to figure out what's necessary for doing good video watching a bunch of Vincent LaForet's stuff...at least I ruled out the Rode stereo videomic Slowly realizing it's going to be at least a few K of accessories (fluid head, dolly, portable stabilizer, mics, different lights/softboxes, etc.) to do right...
IMHO, if you're just starting out, I wouldn't buy a whole lot of audio equipment. I would start off with a good digital recorder. You'll be surprised how nice a good one can sound. Check out this link.

As you get more experienced with your projects you'll be better equipped to make informed decisions based on what you want to accomplish. When I dove into video I plopped down too much money following the advice of experienced users in the online video community. As if good equipment would make me good.

QuoteQuote:
BTW, one other thing the K-5 has that the K-7 doesn't is a virtual horizon mode that uses the SR to rotate the sensor to level it. I'm starting to suspect that this is what's causing the hum because it can't be turned off or the sensor wouldn't be level. Does your audio hum sound exactly the same if SR is on vs. off?
What an excellent thought! I will try this out when I get home...
01-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
You'll be surprised how nice a good one can sound. Check out this link.
I listened to the audio before checking the reviews and liked the Marantz the best too. The Sony M10 sounds relatively close to the Edirol (much more so than the H4). The H4 had a surprisingly laid back sound (cello sounded further away than the other recorders, including the H2) and had more noise than the Sony. All this was pretty obvious on Sennheiser 590 headphones which aren't even that revealing

If the sensor leveling is what's causing your hum, I suspect you're SOL...you'll just have to leave the mic disconnected from the body. The only other thing I can think of is to get some of those gel washers that you use for computer hard drive isolation and put them between whatever you're using to screwmount the mic to the body. That'll reduce it significantly, but I doubt you'll be able to get rid of it...